Pat teakle slingsby Dart 15.

9zapman

Hi guys,I have recently acquired  this 3m untouched semi kit ,kitted by pat teakle in the distant past.Its about 25yrs old I think…only wish I was……Its a long term project..say about 5yrs to complete.Anyway,back to the point..2 questions… 

1. does any one use carbon/fiberglass tubes for wing joining these days or is it best to use the old flat steel and brass rectanguler tube(the wings join together then bolt onto the glider so a carbon spar and f/g tubes could be used) ..etc..

2.What length air brakes would you use on a 3m weighing about 8-10lb and would they  be double height or top and bottom etc…Any other tips would be helpful from anyone who has built one…attached is my kit and there is a finished one which i keep to motivate me!…..

Chris.T

pat-teakle-dart-slingsbury2.jpg

Slingsby-Dart_004.jpg

slope_dragon_x

Hi ChrisYou don't mention if any wing joiners came with the kit.  Most PT kits used brass box and flat steel for wing joiners.  The advantage is minimal disturbance of the top and bottom skins when they are inserted.  The disadvantage is the amount of flex - quite scale in appearance but a bit unnerving if you're used to crisp response.  As the wing span is only 3m the amount of flex may not be very significant, but if it were mine I would use a round steel joiner ~12mm dia (depending on wing thickness), with supporting brass tube inserted in the fus and wings.  You would also need an incidence pin in each wing.Top spoilers with double steel blades will be fine for this.  Topmodel have a good selection http://www.topmodel.fr/en/airb.....kes-C637  Try looking at the Graupner web site for recommendations on best size for this model.  You may not need brakes at all if you have flaps and ailerons because you could use crow braking provided that the wings are sufficiently stiff.

if you want to go for steel blade / brass box - try "gliders distribution":http://www.gliders.uk.com/prod.....sp?dept=60if going for carbon joiner, needs to be solid, not tube, and into a metal tube, not carbon - in both cases, carbon tube (pultruded stuff) is too easy to split/shatter One of those came up for sale locally on fleabay a couple of years back - wish I'd bought it now! Phil.

Thanks guys...slope dragon.....the first pic is all I got!..I don't think the joiners came with any of pats kits as standard.Yes i was thinking about brass tubes and solid bar too....Just juggling around a few ideas..its a very long term project you see.Phil....yes i have missed a few recently as well.I remember them 25 yrs ago for sale at the shows just in a big poly bag...my mate bought one..think it was the pik 20...must find  contact for  himtongue.gifMy Idea of a speed build was my Luna 2...It took 1 year and that's all but done already so you see 5yrs is not as daft as it soundssmile.gif