Marc RC pilot

Does anyone have any experience with the Auri/any thoughts on her that you would care to share?

Any issues with this type of aileron to servo connection layout shown in video? 

Does she thermal well with the thin airfoil?

I'm not planning on buying a higher end DLG in the immediate future and I've enough to get on with learning with my trusty old Longshot1 (including programming...all good), but I was curious about this glider after getting hooked-in watching the vids below...

She does look lovely in the air with nice flight characteristics and seems to be great bang for high-end-ish buck. The room in fuselage looks like it certainly makes for a nice easy setup (and good use of space/weight for servo/aileron control).  

Thanks

Mark Evans

I have one, although I haven’t flown it yet.

ive been through a lot of the top end planes, and personally, for the price I think the Auri is awesome and the quality is VERY close to that of the other brands. Tails I can’t tell any difference. Space in the fuse is nice, same as the Vortex 3. 4 in pod with external pushrods is the norm now like on BAMF/NRJ, real fast set up. I’d never go back to top drive.

As for performance, well, depends how good you are on the sticks, the guys on here could outfly me with a pretty old plane. I’m pretty sure you’d have have to be in the top 5-10% to know where the Auri might be holding you back. And my own opinion is other planes do better due to sponsorship/hype. The wing is thin, yes, but again so are all the others, it’s bigger than the BAMF and NRJ though so should be a touch more floaty which I think will suit me, I hated the NRJ in the end.

To be honest after all the planes I’ve gone through, the classic Snipe is still my favourite and just look at contests from around the world to see how many are still doing the business. But that might change after I’ve flown the Auri.

But I’m extremely impressed by the Auri and Dimitry always responds asap to any questions I have, unlike manufacturers of other brands. I would have no issues buying another, in fact for once I can’t see me flying anything else for quite a while. 

Mark Evans

Oh and while I’ve never owned a long shot, I’m sure you will be amazed at how different these planes feel in the air, so light and crisp on the sticks with the feeling they will go up in anything.

Heck even I can climb out from an overhead trim toss. 

So you should never have a single issue ever to thermal one of these.

Now, to make your task flight time and get back to your feet for re-launch, that’s where the skills really lay. 

Marc RC pilot

That sounds fab Mark (overhead trim toss/difference in performance etc ); thanks for the comprehensive feed back  👍

Yes, come to think of it, two little pushrod holes in fuzz for ailerons as apposed to two large holes in wing and extra wiring/connection etc makes sense on these types of sized models.

Mark Evans

There must have clearly been a reason why top drive became popular, but I remember when I first got into dlg and my blaster 3.5 had external pushrods.

Everything always comes round again and the last couple years the BAMF made external popular again even though planes like LD own stark and stark pro had always used them and so did other models on the market. 

Whilst even the Auri is expensive for a toy plane, I would imagine there’s really not much excuse if you wanted to compete with a high end plane and wanted to buy new. 

I remember one of my very first contests I went to, Marin was flying his Accent, and doing rather well. There were still planes like the Swindells Bonus there when the NXT was the plane to have. In fact I wouldn’t mind trying to find a Bonus, I really like the appearance of them and I think those type of planes, again, would suit me. I’ve learnt I don’t like the super small and fast planes like the BAMF/NRJ etc, the NXT was about right (like the Snipe) as I really liked but again, don’t forget even that was a wing design from around 2013 I believe? Not exactly a new design. 

I chased the hype for a while, I was fortunate enough to be able to do so. But it didn’t get me anywhere. All the current planes are good, buy one you like the look of and fly the heck outta it. Best advice ever and would have saved me a lot of £££

• Like 2
Marc RC pilot

19 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

All the current planes are good, buy one you like the look of and fly the heck outta it

That is great advice. Thanks for info Mark

Mark Evans

I was told this many times and ignored it. So I chased the latest and greatest and it cost me a small fortune lol.

Neil Harrison

Well I have to make comment here.....

It completely depends on what suits your flying style and what you feel comfortable with.

I have flown every model that I sell, both in practice and competition.  There are about 4-6 models that all have the potential of being winners at world championship level.

Marketing and social media has a lot to do with what is popular and not.....

There is soooo much to learn, it takes more than just fancy flying...

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
StraightEdge

A brief question on the Auri:  are there any standard initial settings for the different flight modes?

Mark Evans

My cruise will be zero though and thermal 2-3mm down, I won’t bother with the 0.5mm setting. 

StraightEdge

Thanks Mark, your picture didn't work but now found the original setup on the RCG thread.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 09.41.27.png

Mark Evans

Hmm, strange, that photo of the set up sheet is what I tried to post, I could see it on my phone. 

I guess you have yours built now? Things don't change with me and it's still in the corner lol, I did take a look at it this morning. Being Furloughed I really don't have a  excuse why I haven't put mine together yet.

Mark Evans

Actually done little today, done my servo tray and placing it position to nicely fit both a 1s or 2s pack. 

590DB1DD-05CA-4108-8B02-9EFA123D4ACD_1_201_a.jpeg

DBCE544B-081A-4C33-A250-5ED7BA6D403C_1_201_a.jpeg

StraightEdge

Very clean Mark.  Just planning mine now.

Will either use the stock servo tray with single cutout for traverse fitting, or shape a ply one for individual fore-and-aft cutouts similar to your's.

Will fit a 1s 700mAh and a FrSky G-RX6 vario RX which is very small so should be plenty of room.

What about ballast?

Also, are custom wing-bags available?  (I'm bound to be a bit careless at some point!!)

Mark Evans

I’ve seen Dmitriy has some basic wing and tail bags on his website at LD Models for 30 Euros. 

For ballast I’m gonna drill a small hole in between the rear servos to hold the ballast wire in place. 

Did you get a 2.4 friendly fuse or the full carbon? Mines full carbon, and while having to whisker my antennas doesn’t bother me, I do wish I had got the 2.4 type fuse now. 

SilentPilot

You don't seem to be ever happy, Mark! 

Mark Evans

Why? what did I say? lol

StraightEdge
4 hours ago, Mark Evans said:

I’ve seen Dmitriy has some basic wing and tail bags on his website at LD Models for 30 Euros. 

For ballast I’m gonna drill a small hole in between the rear servos to hold the ballast wire in place. 

Did you get a 2.4 friendly fuse or the full carbon? Mines full carbon, and while having to whisker my antennas doesn’t bother me, I do wish I had got the 2.4 type fuse now. 

I don't know but assume I've got the full carbon fuse - how would I tell?

Order email from Neil at Hyperflight a year ago (shocking I know) states only states  'chequerboard spread carbon' - does this make it light or heavy?

Re wing-bags I've  got a roll of silver-backed bubble-wrap so will make my own.

Mark Evans

You would see the difference in material toward the front of the nose, mine is still showing the chequered effect even on the outside. With the 2.4 version you would see the change in material on the inside, think Dmitriy uses Kevlar in the nose for the 2.4 version fuse. 

These wings are the regular layup, although probably classed as strong compared to other designs. The Light Auri only has the chequered carbon on the ailerons. 

Ive thought about trying to make my own bags before, but I just don’t have the patience lol, as you can tell with how long it takes me to even put my planes together lol.