Rotary tools ?

taggarc

I am looking for a rotary tool for general model repairing and building but unfortunately I don't know much about them or have any experience using them.

Anyway , I thought I would ask here in terms  of what you use and would recommend buying or even keeping away from ?

Thanks

Taggarc

I used a Dremel until it died one day at an age somewhere between 8 and 10 years. I replaced it with another Dremel, which had just got out of warranty, when the motor packed up. The second replacement didn’t even last even that long and I bought a Bosch GRO 12 which I’ve been using for 4 or 5 years now. It has been excellent.

I have had 3 Dremels, the first one was a mains one, which has long gone as I have two Li Ion ones, that are both over 10 years old and still soldier on. The second one belonged to an old departed friend. There are better options I am sure but they do the job.

I have a Black and Wrecker RT650. One of those "how on earth did I manage without one  for all those years" tools.

I borrowed one to help with a Pike WR nose repair many years ago and bought my own straight away.

John Minchell

Have used a Minicraft 1010 and 1012 for must be getting on 30 years now and have a fret saw and pillar attachments too.  Faultless and still going strong, but they are 12 volt and come with a mains transformer.

Noticed that B&Q have many different mini drill tools now plus all the cutters and accessories, so you'll be spoilt for choice.

Tony Fu used to be a great believer in Proxxon rotary tools. As a result I bought one and have been extremely happy with it.

No drill wobbles despite hard usage for years

Okay have checked out a few of the above suggestions - have ruled out Dremel because they do not appear to be made as well as they used to be when you read through various reviews and see posters experience on here.   The Minicraft and the Proxxons look like very good  potential candidates - just need some idea of what would be the best models out of their  current range.  In terms of the Proxxon I was thinking of this one.   Any potential benefits / disadvantages 

https://uk.farnell.com/proxxon/28515/model-building-engraving-set-12v/dp/1075591?gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6Avl2Shx4SD2k_MRcGNZnJfwrr06K9UKfWxO1i_meiPcpZl1fja2NGxoCqxEQAvD_BwE&mckv=sGfrOv18i_dc|pcrid|78108376509|plid||kword||match||slid||product|1075591|pgrid|14406255429|ptaid|pla-528810523358|&CMP=KNC-GUK-SHOPPING-TEST-23MAR

MikeDaBike which one do you use please ?

Thanks

Taggarc 

I my self would not bet one of them as I really don't see the point with having a 12v transformer when you can get mains direct ones

I have one I got years ago from the likes of B & Q for £20 ish and its still going strong has a flex drive and stand but don't use it,did for a long time then for some reason decided to use it with out and have never used it again

one I cant live with out is my Dremel   Li Ion one

GOD how did I ever live with out it,loads of power goes for ever on a batt and with no lead to drag around its great

I know when it dose die I will be ordering a new one with in the hour as I cat live with out it

I am building most days of the week and have been now for over 15 years so I hammer them a lot more than most do

mains one I have broke all the flex shafts bar the last one as once I took it off I have never wanted to use one again,only thing I keep braking with that one is there is a sort of spring between the end of the motor shaft and the chuck as a damper and motor saver and I have broke that 5 ish times and had to make my self a new one ( piece of piano wire wrapped round a screwdriver then bend the ends ) LOL but works and is still going

the Dremel I haven't broke yet and I am still on the first batt and haven't bothered to get a second as the first lasts so well and having the mains one I can just put it on charge and use that for a bit but on the hole they both get used loads and for jobs that really a normal drill should be used

I do also have on my bench a Makita 10,8 v drill a 14v drill and a big lump 18v ( yes like drills ) a vibro saw I would not be with out for ply that's for sure and a small bench sander

they all get used all the time as well

have a look for a mains one as if your looking at one with a transformer you might as well get one with its own batt and have no leads to drag around and over your model

just my view

Si  

• Like 1

I second Big Si's preference for a cordless tool. The Bosch I use now came with 2 Li-Ion batteries, so there's virtually no down time for recharging, and no cord to be organised (or cut through!)

Avoid ones where the on/ off switch is itegrated with the speed control.

I've got one like that. You need two hands to turn it on and the speed changes each time. Its terrible to be honest.

My other one is just cheap chinesium but I've had it years.

Even cheapo rotary tools are better than none. I would call it them a workshop essential tbh. I can't imagine not having one.

Ones with the long flexible hoses/heads on the end are definitely very useful. It makes the tool a lot better at getting in to tight spaces.

We all like cordless tools eh. It's always nice not to have a cable in the way but it is a bench tool not a site tool so i wouldnt blow the budget to get one.

I still have an old Minicraft one with mains transformer,  plus a separate rotary sander and a saw table.

I love my Minicraft as it comes with a proper chuck that goes up to 1/4 inch, I don't think they come with proper chucks these days unfortunately  :-(

8 hours ago, taggarc said:

Okay have checked out a few of the above suggestions - have ruled out Dremel because they do not appear to be made as well as they used to be when you read through various reviews and see posters experience on here.   The Minicraft and the Proxxons look like very good  potential candidates - just need some idea of what would be the best models out of their  current range.  In terms of the Proxxon I was thinking of this one.   Any potential benefits / disadvantages 

https://uk.farnell.com/proxxon/28515/model-building-engraving-set-12v/dp/1075591?gclid=CjwKCAjwvOHzBRBoEiwA48i6Avl2Shx4SD2k_MRcGNZnJfwrr06K9UKfWxO1i_meiPcpZl1fja2NGxoCqxEQAvD_BwE&mckv=sGfrOv18i_dc|pcrid|78108376509|plid||kword||match||slid||product|1075591|pgrid|14406255429|ptaid|pla-528810523358|&CMP=KNC-GUK-SHOPPING-TEST-23MAR

MikeDaBike which one do you use please ?

Thanks

Taggarc 

I think it is this one but will check tomorrow :

https://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/28481.php

Thanks guys and MikeDaBike went for the same Proxxon model as MikeadeBee and got a flexi shaft for it too with a holder .   

Various bits and prices here 

https://secure.reichelt.com/gb/en//55/index.html?ACTION=55&START=0&OFFSET=16&&SID=93Xnj1RKwQAT0AADT7W38aa65e5965f7fa0aa9febeb0030017b97&CURRENCY=EUR

Hopefully i haven't got any inconsistent parts ! 

Ordered from Germany so hopefully it will come.

Regards

Taggarc