Which DLG should I buy?

Tim Donald

Hi all,  I'm new here.  I have recently got back into r/c after a long break.  I mostly fly slope and F3-RES from the flat but also  fly power a bit (and used to fly helis). 

I would like to get a DLG for both the flat and maybe occasional slope use and was looking for some advise as to suitable models.  I live in Cumbria so it needs to cope with a bit of wind.  Originally I had thought about a basic model but I know I will only want to upgrade after 5 minutes so am wondering if getting a proper comp spec glider from the start would be ok (or will I wreck it)?  I know nothing about DLG except from youtube and reading and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anybody in my club or nearby that I can pester for information !   I like the look of the Snipe2 and NRJ but apart from not getting the best out of them initially am I likely to damage them learning to launch etc? 

Any advise would be greatly received !  Thanks.

SilentPilot

The launch should be ok. Quite low though until you refine the technique then they’ll get better!

DLGs are quite delicate though and are really designed to be caught not landed. Until you can catch it every time there is always the chance of damage from a less than perfect landing.

• Thanks 1

Jonathan Gough

Dlg's are very addictive and great when you hit a thermal, takes a while to get the hang of

thermal hunting but some good videos on you tube about the subject. I got a snipe straight off

and not looked back. Most damage is caused transporting them about or knocking them in storage

as the surfaces are quite fragile. Only flying damage Ive had was from landing in a bush then the big one

a servo failed on the elevator on launch and that broke the wing! Id say avoid 1m and go 1.5m they are

much better in a slight wind and you can blast them up. The build quality on a snipe is second too non.

Martin.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Needless to say, in the current fraught situation with other flyers trying their hardest to self-isolate themselves and not succumb to the coronavirus, it may be a good idea to wait a bit, and try again once the weather starts to improve and the current restrictions are relaxed 

On the other hand, Pete, if Tim has a flying site within walking distance, he could devote his daily permitted exercise outing to practise!

• Like 1

Tip strike is your enemy with them. Although it depends on what your inherent natural technique is. I'm a tip striker. 

I would disagree - they are unfragile relative to their weight. Certainly compared to hollow moulded. They're so light they don't do that much damage to themselves.  Most models don't like being thrown in to the ground or landed in trees :)

You might want to consult Neil at super fly https://www.superfly.online/product-page/progress-f3k

• Thanks 1

Thanks everybody,  that answers my question well.  I will do a little more 'youtube research' before deciding as there doesn't appear to be much of a hurry given the current situation.   

Pete,  when you say get a how to DVD,  I'm assuming that is just a figure of speech or is there actually a DLG dvd available?   I have many years of flying experience and have built loads of models (mostly traditional balsa) so it's more the DLG side of things that is new to me. 

I wouldn't worry about having to "always" catch a DLG.      I've seen plenty of damaged DLG's as a result of a fumbled catch.    The windier the conditions the more likely you are to fumble the catch and cause damage.    If it's nice and calm I will always try and catch.    If windy then I will typically land normally rather than try to catch.

Unless your'e landing on very short grass or uneven rough ground, then landing normally is fine.   The fin on my older NXT is pretty chewed up but that's because I chose to land it on less than ideal surfaces.

The key thing when landing on the ground,  land straight and level.  Don't try and do a last minute turn causing the plane to land and skid putting unnecessary load on the fin.    If it means doing a downwind landing then so be it (that's what flaps are for).       The flaps are so efficient on a DLG that you should always be landing slowly anyway.    Only exception would be if you are fully ballasted and forced to land downwind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tim the vortex line a very popular. You might find a good price on the vortex 2.5. The vortex 3 was very popular a couple of years back but there might be a more en vogue model now.

Thing is most of the models are good in any f3x class but different countries tend to have different models which are popular. Probably those that suit the conditions but also those that there is a good supply line to.

As I say i would have a word with Neil as he is active in the f3k contest scene and knows what's going on.

• Thanks 1

Any of the top models will suit you fine. They can all be ballasted up for wind.  At the moment I mostly fly the Votex3 because I have a 2-piece wing version so I can carry it in a back pack to the park. 

Cirrus covered the landing for you. The best advice I can give you for the launch is to not try to throw it up. You want to throw it forward, aim for the distant tree tops. Use an elevator preset to rotate and climb. This will stop you tip striking as mentioned above. Tip strikes are caused by trying to throw the glider up which means you dip the model 90deg from point of release and can hit the tip on the ground or foliage. 

If we ever get to have one, you should come along to the BMFA come and try weekends we have, whether you have a dlg or not. You will learn a lot. 

• Thanks 1

Jonathan Gough

Tim lots of good advice from everyone hope you get sorted you won't look back.

Just a quick question to all. What height do people react on launch? I average about 40m

but see a lot of people manage around 60m. I sadly missed the BMFA try weekend last year

which I really wanted to attend to get some instruction.

Regards Martin.

• Like 1

I would be pleased to get 40 m.  all the time - I mainly make 35-37.  But I can still catch lift and soar with the Kites and Buzzards.

Not many people can make 50 let alone top 60 but some do and that gets the most publicity.  No one comes onto the web boasting about their 45 metre launches.....

• Like 2

Thanks MikeDLG,  I would love to go to a BMFA weekend.  Just bad timing I guess,  but hopefully things will improve soon.