Best radio for F3K

Tim Donald

Sorry for another question !  I currently have a Futaba T10J transmitter but it seems really limiting in how it can be programmed (uses set channels for ailerons when used as flaperons).  This means I need to use a 6+ channel rx to use flaperon mixing.  It doesn't seem very well suited to F3K models since the small receivers such as the R3004SB are only 4 channels.  I was thinking about keeping the Futaba for power and slope etc. and getting something better suited to F3K.  Can anybody advise?  I see FrSky Taranis seems very popular and it seems receivers are about half the price of Futaba ones too. 

Hi Tim

I use FrSky and it is popular because of the freedom in programming. Also as you say, the RX is quite modest cost and small. The telemetry is useful during training too.

The drawback is getting your head around the programming but there are plenty of helpful members On the forum.

Some will be disparaging about FrSky because of the relatively low prices. However, my experience is that they are no less reliable than most other makes.

Good luck with your final choice.

Neil P

Thanks Neil,  they do look the best suited to F3K from what I can make out.  I was asking on another forum about them and think I will order one and have a play but keep my Futaba stuff until I have worked out what I am doing.  Also I like that they have the momentary switch on the left for launching etc.  

Paul Gleeson

FR-Sky is a good call.

The G-RX6 is a great little receiver, tiny, 6ch, with altimeter & telemetry. Nothing in the Futaba or Spektrum products can compete.

Yes, the programming is a learning curve, but there are a couple of great "ready made" models you can use.

Depending on th TX you choose you might have to move the push button to get it in a convenient position. Again easy to do.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Swindells

I switched to the frsky xlite Pro (from regular taranis) a couple of weeks before last year's World champs. Was very happy with it

It's perfect for dlg as its easy to hold and has a pushbutton momentary switch. 

First time where I never had any rssi warnings in conjested flightline and flying at distance. I think the new "ACCESS" protocol is really solid

• Like 1

Richard, do you find the stick travel any different from a regular sized radio?

Having small hands and finding my X9D+ a bit difficult to hold onto at times, I’ve been looking at the Xlite pro. 

On 11/04/2020 at 18:01, Mark Evans said:

Richard, do you find the stick travel any different from a regular sized radio?

Having small hands and finding my X9D+ a bit difficult to hold onto at times, I’ve been looking at the Xlite pro. 

I tried a normal X-lite very briefly and the sticks certainly did feel very different. At the time I was in a rush and didn't persist with it but I imagine you'd get used to it before too long. Swapping back and forth between that and a normal size TX could get annoying though.

I think you should buy one and then let me know just before you put it on ebay in a couple of weeks 😉

😂 believe it or not my buying spree is over. 

All those planes I went through was ridiculous 😂 and the amount of times I switched radios was laughable too. I’m finally settled, 1 tx and 1 plane, who’d have ever thought?! 😂

• Haha 1

Paul Gleeson
1 hour ago, Mark Evans said:

😂 believe it or not my buying spree is over. 

Are you sure?

Which TX and DLG have to finally settled on?

Haha, yes, honest lol. 

I have a Taranis and a Auri. Although some things don't change and it's not built yet lol. 

I don't believe him either... 🙂

I'll wait patiently for my X-Lite Pro.

I hear they are the best TX ever and will gain you an extra 10m of launch height 🤣

• Like 1

Richard Swindells

The sticks are a bit smaller, so less physical travel, but I don't notice it... probably too many hours playing the x-box makes it feel normal. 

I've also tested with the r9 (long range) module, which has ridiculous range (quoted as 10knm, but plenty of reports from long-range FPV guys of over 25km) using the tiniest TX you can imagine.

Slightly annoyed that my old Taranis and Horus are obsolete now (they don't work with the new fr-sky access protocol)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Richard Swindells said:

Slightly annoyed that my old Taranis and Horus are obsolete now (they don't work with the new fr-sky access protocol)

Can’t you just plug in a tx module in the back?

Marc RC pilot

Hi Tim

I recommend the Taranis X9D Plus SE 2019 and the G-RX6 receiver. I find the TX light, small-ish, handy dlg launch button and can be programmed to turn you house lights on... :) Best bang for buck imho.

Those joypad style txs look interesting.

Btw, I've got a brand new X9D Plus SE 2019 which was bought from a barcs  member (who shall remain anonymous :D) a little while ago that I will be parting with as I really don't need two... I bought it as a back-up to my other one. It comes with 8 gig sd card and tx battery. Ill post it on for sale forum in a bit.

I have a Futaba 14SG and had been using Futaba for over 40 Years before I got a Taranis X9Plus. My advice is This to forget everything you do with Futaba programming. 2 load the Taranis up with Open TX and put Companion on a computer. 3 Practice by setting up a basic 4 channel model Many times to learn the system. Then set up a 6. 

it took me a good 4 weeks to get my head around Taranis. 

personally if I was starting over again I would look at the FlySky Palladin system.  It’s super easy to program and really good value  https://www.flysky-cn.com/pl181englishzj

Richard Swindells
16 hours ago, MikeDLG said:

Can’t you just plug in a tx module in the back?

The access version of the r9 modules only work in the 2019 versions of tx.. Apparently something to do with clock/bandwidth speed in the older txs(.?)

I learned the hard way after ordering on for the Horus