Jonathan Gough

F5B Vendors

Jonathan Gough

Hello

Interested in F5B and wondering who stocks these models in the UK and abroad

and what is a good model and costs.

Regards Martin

Alan Flockhart

Hi Martin, there are very limited options for models commercially available. Main choices are Avionics from Russia or Speedfires from Czech republic. You can see details here www.f5b.cz.  As with most models like this there is a lead time for building.  The Russian ones are contact via the f5b team in the UK.

I do actually have a brand new avionic (unbuilt) available if you are interested.

Cheers Alan

Jonathan Gough

HI Alan Thanks for the reply. Not knowing anything about the models could you

give me an idea of what you have for sale and how much it would cost to complete it.

Regards Martin.

SilentPilot

I was planning on having a go at F5B before the lockdown.

Just about any electric glider will do for a novice. I was planning on using my eSunbird. As for the electronics side of it, I too couldn’t find where to source the required limiter, but I was assured they aren’t a requirement until you get good at it!

Alan Flockhart
On 01/04/2020 at 21:32, SilentPilot said:

I was planning on having a go at F5B before the lockdown.

Just about any electric glider will do for a novice. I was planning on using my eSunbird. As for the electronics side of it, I too couldn’t find where to source the required limiter, but I was assured they aren’t a requirement until you get good at it!

Correct any electric glider will do for trying things out at an F5B event.  The limiters can be sourced from https://www.sm-modellbau.de/UniLog-2-und-Zubehoer   You would need a UniLog2 and appropriate current sensor (we use the 400A ones) - But as you say absolutely no need for the limiter until you've got the hang of things. 

So all very welcome once things get back to some kind of normal!

Alan Flockhart
On 01/04/2020 at 17:04, Jonathan Gough said:

HI Alan Thanks for the reply. Not knowing anything about the models could you

give me an idea of what you have for sale and how much it would cost to complete it.

Regards Martin.

Due to the BMFA withdrawning all UK teams from World and Euro champs this year I've got a "BNIB" Avionic.  Decided I don't need 3 F5B planes this year!

The pics (below) are of my current one and new one is very similar colour scheme.   These come with 4 servo moulded into the wing.   This model is the top one in F5B currently.  This (and previous versions) have won the Eurotour for 5 or 6 years in a row. Also the last 2 if not 3 (at least) world champs.  Essentially its a known winning design and the model gets slight tweaks every couple years to improve it.

To complete the build you need a servo for the tail / motor / ESC / prop.   The Avionics come with a bit of work to do for building. Pushrods and control horns, drilling holes for motor screws and attaching the horiz stab.  Then putting motor/esc/battery/rx/rx battery in and flying.

I've got excess motors, batteries etc at the moment so could likely get a whole package together if anyone is interested.  

Video of the same style plane flying - 

B17 Base.jpg

B17 Top.jpg

Jonathan Gough

Hi Alan

How much for the airframe and how much for a package of everything?

Regards Martin.

steveburns

I have Alan’s spare plane here.  I can offer a build service if required.

Steve

Alan Flockhart

Airframe - €1073 - In euro as right now as thats what my bill is in!   This includes 4 KST X08 moulded into the wing.  This is currently ~£950.   This price is what the team pay for the plane. 

Motor - I've got a 10S motor here which is a couple years old - Neu 1512/2.5D/6.7 - £150 (New ~£325) (https://www.espritmodel.com/neu-1512g-series-motors.aspx)

ESC - YGE 200 FAI HV (used 2 seasons) - £180 (New ~£320) (http://www.icare-icarus.com/YGE-200-HV-FAI_p_871.html)

Prop - I have a selection - These are £80 each - New about £115.   One I would suggest is a GM 19x22

As Steve has offered to build - He charges £150 + elevator servo KST08 (~£43).   With his build you just bolt the motor and ESC in. Plug the servos in - Make sure the CG is right and off you go.

Total of the airframe / esc / motor / prop would be = ~940 (equivalent euros) + 150 + 180 + 75 = £1345    (Then the build piece would be additional)

The above is a top end comp winning setup straight out of the box. We fly peaking at 6.7kW with climbs of less than 2 seconds taking us to ~200m and 150mph :)

I would suggest you fly it on 5 or 6S for the first 10-20 flights to get used to the power and speed of the airframe. Once happy then you can ramp up the cell count. 

Let me know what you think.  

Jonathan Gough

Alan I've sent you a private message.

steveburns

Here’s a couple of pics of the actual plane Alan is talking about.

Steve

C48E866C-EE56-4E31-A1CB-B0552D2B3E4A.jpeg

3FBD2906-4433-4AF5-9631-01EF45750C7A.jpeg

Jonathan Gough

Hi Steve

Alan mentioned in a message that you may have a speedfire for sale?

Regards Martin.

Alan Flockhart
9 minutes ago, Jonathan Gough said:

Hi Steve

Alan mentioned in a message that you may have a speedfire for sale?

Regards Martin.

Steve actually listed it for sale last night!  Rest of the components would be available if you were interested in Steve's so you can get off to a flying start :)

steveburns

Hi Martin

Yes that's my Speedfire Alan has linked to.  Alan's power set up will bolt straight in or I could supply pretty much the same parts, ESC would be a Castle 160 rather than a YGE but the prices are pretty much the same. 

One advantage the Speedfire has over the Avionik is the fuz is a little wider so you have more choice on batteries especially if you're looking at going 6s to start with.

Steve