Hi

Hi

I've been flying gliders on and off for about 30 years now!

I started many moons ago flying a Cub off Baildon moor and got hooked.

I now fly (when I get chance) at Burton Dassett with the SMSA. They are a great bunch who make just been on the hill a good time.

I main enjoyment comes from  building 70's / 80's designs off plan, mainly rekindled after getting a copy of Mr Stringwell's book on thermal flying and reading cover to cover several times!!

I'm still in the process of setting up my new workshop after moving house (the wife takes objection to cutting and sanding wood on the dining table for some strange reason!

Next project will be a 3m algebra with the rolled ply fus! A build that is a filling me with mixed feelings about! 

Hope everybody has fun flying when we can all get back out there!

Dave

• Like 2
satinet

Hi Dave

I hope to see you and your models at Dassett post lock down.

I like to see well built models. 

Tom

Hi Tom

That is a certainty but somehow feels such a long time away!!

But we all need something to look forward to right now

Keep safe

Dave

pete beadle

Hi Swappy

Welcome to the BARCS forum

When you say you have mixed feelings about your 3M Algebra build, could you be a bit more specific please?

One thing you'll notice over time is that BARCS members are compulsive anwerers (if there is such a word) of pleas for help, and you've started well by giving us all an enigmatic first post......

What is worrying you about the Algebra build? Is it possibly something to do with the construction of the fuselage maybe? Please let us, and especially me, know I/how we can help, OK?:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete

It is relating to the fuselage having a rolled ply construction.

My main concern is that I've never done it before so there is the unknown on how it will turn out!

I know that the knowledge collectively held on the forum is huge and there isn't any aspect of building or flying that someone hasn't got experience in.

I will keep everybody posted on it and will most certainly be asking for advice.

First I need to convert my garage from a extension of the local tip into a workshop!

Take care and keep safe

Dave

pete beadle

Hi Dave

Yes, that is the usual problem for builders, the idea of forming the curved fuselage top section  curve, by bending the ply between two battens IS fraught with potential problems. Don't say I told you, but several, even most, of my BARCS colleagues competing in the Midlands League back in the day  just put the fuselage bits to one side and used an EMP glass one instead

The  EMP glass fuselage looks like a chair-leg to me, but it is IMO THE most effective design there is, for the Clubman 100S (or 3 metre) competitor. The nose accepts a standard, square, 4-cell battery pack like a glove, the cross-section is just wide enough to accept three servos, an old mini size receiver, and the rear end and fin is plenty strong enough to withstand the occasional unintentionally abrupt landing 

If you can't find a pre-owned one in reasonable condition send me  a PM once you start the build and I'll see if I've got a spare one in the "stores" Alternatively, good luck with the ply one:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702  

Algebras 6th Sept 002.JPG

Hi Pete

I shall definitely remember your kind offer!

I’m going to give the bent ply a try as from my youth it kind of had an almost mythical appeal! To me anyway!

I’ve just been furloughed so plenty of time to sort out the workshop now!

Regards

Dave

I have done a few rolled ply fuzs in my time  and found that the easiest was to soak the sheet of ply in water at least overnight, making sure that the ply is waterproof, of course. You will need to soak it in the bath or the garden pond like I did. After a good long soak it will be easy to bend so then wrap it round a broomstick and told it in place with strong rubber bands or tape until it is thoroughly dry . When you take off the banding it will spring open somewhat but it will hold a reasonable bend. 

Shape up the balsa top sheet and then glue the ply in the appropriate  position. I used to mould the front round a square 4 cell pack of AAs  and then taper it back from there. 

The fuz will, of course, only be straight with no sexy curves like the glass version but they work just fine and are easy to repair!

I recall many years ago whilst working for Dick at the Sandown show  when a customer came up to ask him 'what is the difference in duration between the glass and the ply fuselage?' Dick thought for a few seconds and replied 'about 3 seconds - but I don't know which way!'

Hi Peter

I like the idea of using a 4 cell pack to form the front! I would never have thought about it! But sitting here it will be the way to go!

Any other pearls of wisdom?

I’m currently planning the new workshop!

For building I looking at a 4m long cheap kitchen worktop as they are flat and tough, on some cupboards for plenty of storage.

Dave