eSports F3F

tonym

The lockdown is like Christmas - but worse! Back in the 'flyquiet' days we occasionally ran CRRCSIM F3F competitions over Christmas and New Year. Who would be interested in flying some now? A league of sorts could be set up, input from F3F fliers would be most appreciated if people thought this was a goer. Screenshots would be our score cards 🙂

Charles River RC Sim (part written by Mark Drela - most things Mark does in aeronautics  is  brilliant!) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/crrcsim/files/crrcsim/

I connected my Taranis using a USB cable, not the buddy lead connector, calibrated the Tx in crrcsim (press the ESC key for the menu - Options - Control - Input Method - Joystick and it offered me the FrSky FrSky Taranis Joystick) - and away I went.

Setting up crrcsim for F3F:

1. Start crrcsim (before everything is set up a model will launch and crash, don't worry, there's always another one 🙂)
  2. Press ESC for menu
  3. Options - Airplane - Crossfire (others are available)
  4. Options - Location - Cape Cod
  5. Options - Wind, Thermals - Load Preset - choose F3F competition at Cape Cod
  6. Game - F3F - Enable F3F mode, give it a tick.

When you exit crrcsim it will ask you to save the settings - save them and when you start crrcsim up next you'll be launched off the cliff at Cape Cod with whatever model you chose.

I don't think the computer requirements of crrcsim are too great, I've got it running on my fairly basic ASUS X55CR laptop with Dual Core i3-2350Mi3 running Linux Mint 19.3 with 4Gb memory and 480Gb SSD.

If people want to play and are struggling too hard to get things working I can probably help using Teamviewer to remotely get things set up while we chat on the phone and you twiddle sticks when needed.

Tony
I should have gone full screen, this was my first go - I can do better 🙂

f3f-test-1st_flght.thumb.png.5fb988cfd03e1896c31eba835b0844fb.png

• Like 1

got the taranis set up on computer as game controller but on the control setup on the sim it wont see it when i select joystick any ideas?

I suspect most people here are on Windows 10 - I'll set up my PC with Windows 10 so that I can see how the crrcsim install goes and how to get the Taranis to work with it.

SilentPilot

My problem is getting the microphone jack to work. I think I need a microphone/speaker splitter adapter.

Some info for the Taranis here - https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3567

Google is your friend/second brain - search for crrcsim <your transmitter model> and see what might come up.

Fly with a normal Joystick if you have one is an option, flying with the mouse is fun 😮 - getting your Tx to function is sometimes a fiddle, I've had the best luck with USB cables or dedicated USB flightsim Txs - loaned out and never returned, guy moved away 🤬

SilentPilot

Right, I’m in! I got it working using the RealFlight Interlink controller.

It has been a while since I used that controller, plus I’m not that keen on F3F using a Sim but in these days I’ll try anything to dodge the boredom!

Do we take a screenshot of the finish table after a race and upload it here?

Tony 

• Like 1

Well done Tony.

I'll start another thread for trial, test and practice screenshots, if there's interest and we can get a 'comp.' together we'll have a dedicated thread for eSport F3F 1 and others if this works out.

Would it be an idea to get a new child forum under this one for this? @Austin

Tony thanks for this. I was given an old usb tc from an old reality craft sim that I could never get to work. It works with this!! I will have a play with settings and be less annoyed about all my grounded gliders. Cheers!

• Like 1

• Austin pinned this topic

Sounds good, I will try and connect a Tx over the weekend.

Would need to standardise wind and thermal settings to get a reasonably level playing field if comparing times.

And agree not to do the DS crashing start to build up speed before the run 😉

NB: if you repeatedly loop & crash into the beach in front of you, the model gains crazy speed!

While Windows 10 installs on my desktop PC I'm going to do some practice on crrcsim. Then I'll test loading crrcsim on Win10 and get my Taranis connected.

@Kyri - hope to see you on the virtual hill/cliff top soon 🙂

@Peter G - The default F3F 'weather' see top post and below can be adjusted to make racing more exciting for the pros. We would run different leagues with different conditions applied. We have to trust one another that no one tries any funny stuff to 'win'. What's the point anyway, there's no league prizes. If things get serious a video of your flights with the settings being shown before the flight - I'll do one now!

Windows! What an unmitigated piece of sh** - finds Taranis, then says can't find it! I've had enough for today, will fight it tomorrow. Linux rules!!

Hi tonym

Out of interest (maybe I'm just not used to this sim) is there any reason why you wouldn't use PicaSim. I just tried this sim and with the default weather settings it struggles to get any lift or speed. It also seems a bit difficult to set up and I kept loosing my settings. Took a while to sort it out.

PicaSim has a default F3F challenge where the only things you can change is model ballast, color and so forth. Not wind. That would make sure everyone was flying in the same conditions and to me, it is far easier to set up a controller and defaults. 

Brett

• Like 1

Once you've selected the "F3F competition at Cape Cod" Wind setting it should be flyable and the same for all.

I'll give Picasim a go as well....

Never flown F3F before. Even had to look up a video on youtube to see what i was supposed to do.

image.thumb.png.1de34b7f55d4311d3752ef9a769dd707.png

13 hours ago, Brett82 said:

Hi tonym

Out of interest (maybe I'm just not used to this sim) is there any reason why you wouldn't use PicaSim. I just tried this sim and with the default weather settings it struggles to get any lift or speed. It also seems a bit difficult to set up and I kept loosing my settings. Took a while to sort it out.

PicaSim has a default F3F challenge where the only things you can change is model ballast, color and so forth. Not wind. That would make sure everyone was flying in the same conditions and to me, it is far easier to set up a controller and defaults.

<video removed>

Brett

That's a beautiful flight Brett!

Now I'm the opposite - I'm struggling to get my Taranis set up in PicaSim 😞  I've been using crrcsim on and off for years, SSS previously as well. Being a Linux user I liked the fact that crrcsim and SSS worked on Linux, as well as Windows. I also like the thought that the weather can change during a flight in crrcsim - simulating the real world 🙂  With crrcsim it would also be possible to have 'light wind, loads of thermals' competitions as well as 'howling gales' comps. - without having to stand in a howling gale. The 'CD' can decide on what the weather will be for the comp. they arrange - wouldn't that be just great in the real world! <grin>

I don't see why there's not room for both sims to 'run' competitions, we then have two different venues (maybe more if other locations have been designed, I've not found any yet for crrcsim).

Any instructions and/or screen shots you could post on how to set up a transmitter in PicaSim could be useful to me and others.
I've never flown F3F so I hope you and the other F3F pilots will chip in and offer advice on getting something organised going - best 6 flights in an hour at a particular time and date? Lets have some ideas, we may have many weeks or months to sort something virtual out before we can get back out there in the real world.

This lockdown might turn me in to  a gardener 😮 - my mother recently had to go into care (no visitors, totally locked down), she was a gardener by profession and I want to try and keep her garden looking nice. I'm off outside for an hour to dig up dandelions and other weeds - and hopefully not precious plants! Back to flightsims later.

Tony

Try this Tony

Find the folder .crrcsim in your home folder. Delete the file crrcsim.xml (just crrcsim - it'll say XML in the Type column if you view the folder in 'details' view. This is the file that crrcsim saves its settings in so you'll have to reset all the options again but hopefully crrcsim will work again. Let me know if this works.

Tony