Ted Sladden

Graham Woods

I understand from a friend of mine in Herne Bay, Kent that Ted Sladden died this week in a Nursing Home. Ted used to own the Canterbury Model Shop and I believe he was an active Thermal Soarer in the Kent Interclub events etc. back in the day. A jeweller and watchmaker by trade Ted was an excellent builder and designer of models and member of the Canterbury Pilgrims Model Flying Club. I recognise the names of several people on this forum who I know will have known Ted in his heyday.

• Sad 1
Nicholls

So many memories of Ted I'll have to come back later.

Rob Cavell

Oh dear knew him for donkeys years back to my freeflight days in Deal Swallows MAC, Ted was Canterbury Pilgrims.

Alas another Dynasty gone...RIP Ted condolences to son Chris.   

A little story not exactly about Ted but related,

A work college of mine when deciding whether to purchase a wrist watch from one of Teds jewellery shops in Canterbury made the comment  that a thousand pounds is a lot of money to put on your wrist, the manager immediately retorted "Heh...my governor spends that much on a toy aeroplane and then just throws it in the air!!!!!"     

Rob Cavell BARCS 78 (new recruit!!!)

EricF

I first met Ted in 1965 at the tender age of 17 when I joined the Canterbury Pilgrims MFC. The club used to fly at the Black Mill at Barham just off the A2 south of Canterbury and I lived in Dover but as I had just passed my driving test, I was able to borrow my Dad's van to travel the ten miles to get to the flying field on a Sunday.

Ted used to turn up at the field in his  brand new  red and white Ford Anglia 1200cc  Estate with his single channel Ken Willard 'Pal Joey,' complete with kick-up elevator, in the rear of the car. Those were the days when we were all still equipped with 27 meg super-regen radios, so each flight was observed by everyone on the field as we waited for our turn to fly. Ted's models were immaculately built and finished and his flights, be they free flight or R/C, were always a joy to watch.

The last time that I spoke with Ted was in the queue to get in to the last Elmbridge MFC symposium at Sandown Racecourse and he confirmed that he was still a member of the Canterbury Pilgrims, still flying regularly, visiting the flying field in his vintage 1930s Austin Seven Ruby.

Ted was a great guy  and modeller, and I am priveledged to have known him. My condolences to his son Chris.

Eric Friend

BMFA 067067

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Andy Mac

I have just joined, having heard of Ted's passing.

I knew Ted from the early 1960s,  I joined the Canterbury  Pilgrims, and worked for him in his jewellery shop at 26 Burgate and 27 St Margaret's St.

I used to go to Chobham Common with Ted in those days, to be a fetcher-mite for his FAI competition flights, running across the heath with one eye on his model - "Faited", to retrieve it for him when the DT fuse burned through the elastic band holding down the tailplane.

I also helped him renovate his house out in Swanton Lane.  He repaid me by buying my air ticket, from Lympne to Beauvais (in a DC3), where he took part in a "Radio Meet" with the Beauvais club.  There were currency restrictions in those days, and I was one of his "mules" for his excess cash that he took, to buy bits in France!  Happy days.With Ted's guidance, I progressed to powered radio, and was Secretary for CPMFC for a while Ted was President.  Modelling ceased within a couple of years of marriage (not unusual for wife wanting me home on Sunday mornings) and passed my 27Meg kit to a boat man.

I will always remember his superb build-quality and his enthusiasm and love of the whole modelling scene.  I saw him last a couple of years ago when he and I both attended different meetings at Blean Village Hall.  Despite having worked for him, admittedly a long time ago, he couldn't place me, and I assumed that dementia was involved.  He was still the kind, gentle chap I knew.

As I wrote, I'm not flying anything these days, so I won't be an active member of BARC, but I still have a longing for that sort of activity.

• Thanks 1
Chris Sladden

Hi Guys,

It's a long time since I saw your names!!! but remember them all well, it was a sad day today as it was my Dad's (Ted) funeral but really appreciate your kind comments & memories, love to hear from you & maybe when times are better pop along to the flying field

Cheers for now, 

Chris Sladden 

• Like 1
Rob Cavell

Better than that Chris unless you have moved I remember a chance meeting with you in Dover when it transpired that you now live less than half a mile from me! Up until the dreaded lockdown Ian & I meet for a dram or a pint once a week, it would be great if you could make it too, even just once please try.

• Like 1
Chris Sladden

Hi Rob, 

I would really like that, I am still in Walmer so once we are out of lockdown & the pubs are open we can meet up or even better I would love to do a BBQ at home but I would maybe need you to round up the old gang! 

Cheers Chris 

Rob Cavell
17 hours ago, Chris Sladden said:

Hi Rob, 

I would really like that, I am still in Walmer so once we are out of lockdown & the pubs are open we can meet up or even better I would love to do a BBQ at home but I would maybe need you to round up the old gang! 

Cheers Chris 

Chris, you are on for both!

Ian & I will gather them up for the barbie,

Been there done it twice before in the past few years for social steakhouse dinners.

We'll be in touch, first on the list, you people above!

Regards RobC

Chris Sladden

Hi Rob, 

That sounds great, once we are out of lockdown & things are semi normal we can get a date together, I would think we are looking at September but stay in touch, 

Cheers for now, 

Chris 

Andy Mac

Former Canterbury Pilgrims member Christopher Spillett has found this photograph of the Beauvais trip.  Between us we've identified quite a few participants.  If anyone can identify others please do.1909360812_PilgrimstoBeauvais001b.thumb.jpg.26dd9305576de3cb743e34e125c78902.jpg

Chris Sladden

Hi Andy, 

That is a fantastic find, I was only little at the time but still rember it, is there any chance of a copy of the photo? 

Cheer Chris 

Rob Cavell

Hi Andy,

Wow that must have been a fantastic trip at the time, Skyways I remember them well!

And we in Deal Swallows thought a Charabanc trip to the Nats or Northern Heights Rally was the bees knees!

RobC

Here's an oldie of contingent of Swallows just arrived at an interclub meeting with Pilgrims about '52. the note says Barham Downs but I have a feeling it's actually Lenham? 

1929243960_DealSwallowsmembersonBarhamDownsabout1952.thumb.jpg.e78e53a5c3e210656a77fd0332c9b4f4.jpg

Andy Mac
53 minutes ago, Chris Sladden said:

Hi Andy, 

That is a fantastic find, I was only little at the time but still rember it, is there any chance of a copy of the photo? 

Cheer Chris 

Hello Chris,

Good to see that you're alive and well.  Did you ever go on trips to Chobham Common, or was that only Mark?  I remember looking after one of you going to and fro in your Dad's Anglia Estate.  The journey was 3-4 hours in each direction, even at your Dad's speed.

If you send an email to mcnallyag42@gmail.com, I'll pass it on to Chris Spillett, who has the original and may be able to scan it at higher resolution than the one on this site.

Regards,  Andy

Andy Mac
13 minutes ago, Rob Cavell said:

Hi Andy,

Wow that must have been a fantastic trip at the time, Skyways I remember them well!

And we in Deal Swallows thought a Charabanc trip to the Nats or Northern Heights Rally was the bees knees!

RobC

Here's an oldie of contingent of Swallows just arrived at an interclub meeting with Pilgrims about '52. the note says Barham Downs but I have a feeling it's actually Lenham? 

1929243960_DealSwallowsmembersonBarhamDownsabout1952.thumb.jpg.e78e53a5c3e210656a77fd0332c9b4f4.jpg

I don't know the Lenham site, but I do know that if it were Barham Downs, I would expect to see the Black Mill or a tree-line on the horizon, so I think you're correct.

Chris Sladden

Hi everyone, 

I think the guy in Andy's picture is Ken Barker, I could be wrong but I do have his mobile no so I will see if he was on that trip, I will keep you posted, 

Cheers Chris 

Andy Mac

Ken Barker.          Yes, Chris, I'm sure you're right.

How on earth do you remember that?  Was he a Canterbury Model Shop customer?

Around that time there were also plans to fly a model across the channel.  Idris Francis is the name that comes to mind there.  It came to nothing as I recall, despite signing up some firms to sponsor it -Eddie Keil of Keil Kraft being one, I think.  I made a Keil Kraft Invader, but it was never very successful - flight times tended to be measured in seconds rather than minutes (no need for a de-thermaliser!)

Does anyone on here do ridge soaring?  I'm particularly thinking of Langdon Cliffs at Dover.  I know it's not the perfect orientation for the prevailing wind, but I worked in the port for 21 years and there was always a wind.  The best locations seem to be used by the "big boys", Challock and Crete Rd West come to mind.

Regards,  Andy

Nicholls

Hi,

Crete Rd and Thurnham are the most popular but certain individuals (Eric Friend and Simon Thornton come to mind)  have flown most places. 

Slopehunter details most  http://www.slopehunter.co.uk/

Rob Cavell

Andy that flying site Barham or Lenham?

Look at the size of that local field you don't get 'em that size any more.

Remembering that for free flight you always planted the pits up wind so the length of field behind the camera must be more than what you can see in front of it!

The term Ridge Soaring shows your age & era mate!

Have tried Langdon, Western Heights & loads more, don't bother with any of 'em.

For strong old fashioned R/C lift ( NOT F/F!!!) wait for a Sou'wester & do Crete Road West it's fantastic, for more manageable lift & excellent landing it's Thurnham.

I'm rather past the age of comfortable slope soaring these days, more's the pity.        

Chris Sladden

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is ok, it would have been Dad/Ted's birthday today (May 9th) he would be been 90, looking back you can't believe where the time has gone!!