Ted Sladden

Chris Sladden

Hi Guys, 

Hope you are all safe & well, if anyone has any old pics of the interclub or barcs league days it would be great to see them, stay in touch, 

Cheer Chris 

paul w
On 07/05/2020 at 13:14, Andy Mac said:

Does anyone on here do ridge soaring?  I'm particularly thinking of Langdon Cliffs at Dover.  I know it's not the perfect orientation for the prevailing wind, but I worked in the port for 21 years and there was always a wind.  The best locations seem to be used by the "big boys", Challock and Crete Rd West come to mind.

Come and join us at Thurnham Andy, it's an easy run from Canterbury (used to do it regularly myself when I lived there for a few years)... there's a friendly bunch of regulars, a good mix of models and a superb landing area.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Andy Mac

Hello Paul.  Only just seen your reply.  I thought the forum would notify me automatically. 

Where in Thurnham is the field?  Am I correct in thinking it's somewhere off the Pilgrims Way?

Regards,  Andy

• 2 weeks later...
swarrans

Get to the Black Horse Pub and then take the lane that goes up....

Nicholls

Andy I've also sent you a PM (Personal Message) to show you how to "Follow" and get notifications of replies to Posts.

Follow.jpg

Andy Mac
On 30/06/2020 at 09:44, swarrans said:

Get to the Black Horse Pub and then take the lane that goes up....

Ah!  Thank you.  Is it every Sunday?  What time do people turn up?

swarrans
20 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Ah!  Thank you.  Is it every Sunday?  What time do people turn up?

It's dictated by wind direction and people's availability - some lucky souls fly at Thurnham whenever the wind is SW, other just when they can.  All completely informal, no club stuff (although we do try and encourage people to be sensible and respectful of dog walkers, other people etc.  In light wind conditions we share the slope with paragliders which is mostly OK....

Simon

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Johnsontvc

Great post, a lot of stuff in here i did not know about 🙂

Steve Stanwix

Hi Team

I have just joined having found this forum by accident.

Firstly belated condolences to Christopher, Mark and did you not have a sister Elizabeth?? Ted was a very congenial character and it is only later in life you realise how much of help he was to us younger sproggs. He trained me well in watch repairs something which has proved useful during life. Cannot believe how young he was at the time - youths perception of age!!

I, like Andy, worked for Ted in his shop repairing watches & clocks and also helped his house renovation, the reward likewise the trip to Beauvais. I seem to remember Monday night was modelling night in the shop cellar -lots of banter and waiting for John F Ward to turn up with the sweets! I left Canterbury late 60's moving on around the country.

Since leaving I have lugged my modelling stuff around for 50 years and thought I would get it out during lockdown. 1 model had a Canterbury Pilgrims transfer on it which lead me to surf the net and got me here. I still have the Mc Gregor single channel gear and it works ok!

I recognise some of the individuals from the Beauvais photograph Basil is one who sticks in his mind.  I'll look up any photos I may have and scratch my head for names. Anybody remember 1eyed Ted smith? 

That's it for an intro probably remember more now the memory banks have been stirred