In case I'm not up early enough to get in first 🙂

Post a screenshot of your best time of the day to win thermal skill kudos
Multiple attempts encouraged!

1. Paul R - 21:35
  2. Tony M - 10:59
  3. Adam R - 6:49
  4. Leo R - 3:12

Proud Dad moment:
Adam R - 6:49.94 (Age 12, Probably held a transmitter less than 10 times and this was his 3rd flight on Picasim (ever))

Amazingly impressed that he managed to concentrate for nearly 7 minutes without wanting to loop or crash for fun... 🙂

Screenshot (79).png

• Like 1

My other son had a go too:

Leo R - 3:12.35 (Age 10, less experience than his brother)

I had another go as well:

21:35.4

This is much easier than real life....

Where are all the other pilots!

Screenshot (83).png

Screenshot (82).png

StraightEdge
6 minutes ago, PaulR said:

I'm coming... 

...someone has to populate the bottom of the leader-board!

11 minutes ago, PaulR said:

<snip>

Certainly less tiring on the body 🙂

Others now scared of your skills Paul 😄 - superb time.

I just did a 5 min, although I forgot to hit pause on landing and take a screenshot.

Gets pretty small on a IPhone SE once over 80m lol. 

Does it matter which dlg you use? 

Use any DLG Mark.

I fly the model in the top corner when I can't tell if I'm seeing a speck of dust on the screen or the speck of the model in the distance.

SilentPilot

Are we all using the same “challenge” settings? I can’t get much over 7 minutes because the sky goes dead...

Just like in the real world, long flight times require some luck as well as skill. As soon as the 'eagles' start to disappear its time to think about moving to another part of the sky. Maybe you get lucky and fly in to another group of eagles after a minute or two of moving across the sky, I've also flown so far away I've needed to fly the model in the little window in the top left corner as its impossible to see what the orientation is in the main view. I've found thermals without eagles too. My times over 10 minutes have required 3 thermals, Paul may have found more for 21 minutes.

I don’t think there is a way to change the settings for the “challenge “ on the PC version. 
As Tony said, there is definitely some luck involved in the longer flights. Also like real life is the fact that it’s easier to find lift or stay in it once it’s spread out higher up. 
The low level thermals sometimes seem much more powerful than I’ve ever experienced on the field and allow you to fly very aggressive turns to stay in the core and still gain height quickly. 
In the 21 minute flight I didn’t count the individual thermals but must have been 5 at least. I agree with Tony that some aren’t marked with eagles too.

StraightEdge

Absolutely!

Either use a suitable cable/dongle to a USB port, or much better still order their WIFI dongle, about £20 and works perfectly!

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/xsr-sim/

This is what I've just done, AND because I'm using an old tablet with a small screen I've connected this with a HDMI cable to the widescreen TV.

Total immersion 🙂

Jon

• Like 1

Hmm, might have to find me a old windows pc, finding the touch controls on my iPhone not so great. 

See this thread Mark - look at the others in the F3F section too (I hope Austin might move these to a separate 'setup' section).

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 23:30, SilentPilot said:

Are we all using the same “challenge” settings? I can’t get much over 7 minutes because the sky goes dead...

On 16/04/2020 at 00:34, tonym said:

Just like in the real world, long flight times require some luck as well as skill.

I thought I'd try and record some of the process of getting the longer times. Decided it doesn't make a very interesting video though...

This one moment I captured shows some of the luck involved.

I'd moved between a few areas of lift already at altitude and was on my way down just before the 10 minute mark when I spotted an eagle close to me. As you can see in the video, centering on the lift took a few goes and almost lead to a crash, but got there in the end.

• Like 1