Alpina C of G

barry h

pete beadle

Hi Barry h

Thanks for passing on these memories. what a pity we didn't meet up on the day at Ivinghoe, and yes, the wings were Light blue Solarfilm, provided if I remember correctly by Dick Edmonds (EMP).....

3 hours ago, barry h said:

At the prize giving Shaun was handing out cups and packets of epoxy to the winners. He then handed me all the remaining packs of epoxy he had left which didn't go down to well with several people. 

I'm pretty sure that the packets of epoxy adhesives you refer to were provided as prizes by Henkel Supergloy who I was working for at the time. We also sponsored the UK round of the 1983 F3B World Championship, in York where Sean finished fourth in the individual standings

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

If it's any use I detailed the repair of Multiplex ASW22 airbrakes here, there is a blue link in the middle of the text that links back to the ASW 22 restoration which shows the brakes being dug out of the wings and refitted. It flies now with some thin white tape around the brake boxes, easier than a full recovering job.

My pins had also broken off, all the other bellcranks are the same (they have pins), just have to swap them round.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor
21 hours ago, barry h said:

The flaps are made to be top hinged which will not allow enough down flap . My intentions were to just use crow and forget the brakes but only having max 12mm down flap just aint enough.  The other problem is that the wings have been glassed and if possible I do not want to have to sand it all down and respray.

As I was given the glider free of charge I thought it may be nice to spend as little as possible and get away with using all the bits needed from whatever was in my shed. Thus having an Alpina to fly but costing as little as possible.  Sadly its beginning to look like a total refurb and im not sure weather its really worth it. 

Any Mk1 Alpina is well worth saving. I brought one back to life a few years ago - flew great, despite a warped wing from a previous owners bodged repair.

Changing top hinged flaps to bottom hinged should be fairly easy? 

Or - more radical & easier solution - change the linkages so you can get lots of up flap (!) for landing - Should be pretty effective - will just need up elevator compensation instead of down!

Video of Tina the Alpina doing her thing:

Phil.

As a youngster I wanted an Alpina. One of my older flying buddies had one.  Now I have two. One to fly and one to restore. It is great to fly now. It must have been awesome in the late seventies. 

I have just finished building a mk1 Alpina. I bought the kit.... wait for it, 28 years ago! The wings are beautifully made, with no delamination, the fuse is slightly off white now, but apart from that, as it was back in the day. The only modification I have made, is aileron and airbrake servos in the wing, and multiplex multi locks, as wing retainers. 
To be maidened on white sheet hill, as soon as we are lockdown free. 

• Like 1

Let me know when you are going. I will mine along for an airing. ☀️ 

Alpinafest to celebrate the end of lockdown?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wookman said:

Let me know when you are going. I will mine along for an airing. ☀️ 

Alpinafest to celebrate the end of lockdown?

I Will Graham. 😎🌈

pete beadle

Hi Mikeb52

Congratulations!

Modifying the aileron servos by installing one servo in each wing, and adding extension leads from the Rx through the fuselage side  to join with the lead exiting the wing root, is, in my opinion, the best single mod you can do. Putting individual servos in each wing root to operate the brakes is, I believe the second.

The fuselage being off-white is easily cured with the use of T-Cut and subsequent discolouring is reduced by the application of a couple of layers of a good, hard, clear wax such as Porzelac or similar

The best way to fly the Mk 1 is is as Phil Taylor showed us......BIG, s-m-o-o-t-h   flying, eating up the sky but not looking flashy, no sudden speed changes, no tight  oval-ish loops, linking each loop or roll smoothly together.....guaranteed to fix a BIG grin on your face, and leave it there after a smooth and simple landing.....magic! and that's probably the reason they called the one with the add-on tips the Alpina Magic!:) No?......

I'm just imaging how impressive three or more on the slope flying will be......probably perfick! Don't forget to video it if you can .......an AlpinaFest! Just what we need to signal the end of the lockdown!!!! Got to come and see that!:thumbsup::yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Like 1

Hi Pete. 

Do Mk1 Alpinas qualify for your ISA nostalgia meeting?  The way it’s going that might the first event of the year!

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Wookman

YES, YES, YES...........a yes for each Alpina:thumbsup:

As well as the Mark 1's, the Alpina Magic(s) qualify too, and to stretch a point I'd be happy to welcome any quarter scale ASW17's as well:yes: 

Actually, anyone flying a big woodie would qualify :).....Sagitta XL, Leprechaun, maybe an big  AVA or two......I'm sure you get the idea

This year ISA Nostalgia Day  is on Saturday 12th September , from 10AM,  insurance required if you're flying, if not, come along for the Crack! (Craic)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

That is going to be a busy weekend! Triple booked it is that I am. 

Welsh Open F3f.

ISA Nostalgia.

Whitesheet scale.

• Like 1

Hi All 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I have  started a Alpina owners club . 

This will be my 3rd Alpina  and I have decided that I will refinish the model, change the silver to white and make it look like it should do. 

The servos are in the wing , though they all need changing x4 . I think I will do what Gary B suggested and somehow dig out the airbrake as I have a spare broken one and can use a spare arm with a Pin in it . I will also put the airbrake servos in the wing .

Does anyone know where or if you can get the original decals from.

Whish me luck . I will let you know how I get on. 

• Like 1

You will never regret restoring your Alpina. Do it right and it will pay you back many fold. As for decals I recon you stand more chance of finding rocking horse droppings. Protrim and a scalpel is the way ahead. 

19 hours ago, wookman said:

You will never regret restoring your Alpina. Do it right and it will pay you back many fold. As for decals I recon you stand more chance of finding rocking horse droppings. Protrim and a scalpel is the way ahead. 

19 hours ago, wookman said:

Hi All.

It would appear Andy Schafer can do the Grapics. That's one hurdle over then . I have ordered 4x KST 125s for the wing servos ( Ailerons and Flaps ) and will make a decision on how to operate the airbrakes once I have managed to dig out and repair the broken airbrake. If I cannot repair the broken one then I intend to fit a pair of electric ones, not cheap but at least I will not have to purchase anymore Servos.

pete beadle

Hi barryh

Personally I'd just do the three-colour trims on the tips......they're really easy to do......no need for any of the MPX advertising - everybody knows a Mark 1 when they see one!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Hi barryh

Personally I'd just do the three-colour trims on the tips......they're really easy to do......no need for any of the MPX advertising - everybody knows a Mark 1 when they see one!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Hi Pete

That's about what im thinking of. Just the wingtips , tail tips and Fin , I think that it will be the Black and Red scheme as in tail pic. I have made a start today rubbing down the tailplanes, its a bit to windy up here to do much sanding at the moment but its a start in the right direction.  I am favouring installing electric airbrakes just to save making more holes in the wing for servos.

Im sure we have met on the Beacon years ago, If memory serves me well you used to use a model shop just off the A1 on a roundabout near Hendon.

Pics are of tailplanes before and after sanding.

Regards

Barry

Stay Safe

Alpina Tail Shape.jpg

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0102.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

pete beadle

Hi barry h

That's a good memory you've got! Mine's fading with age I'm sorry to say

Having nothing better to do today I looked out for pics of my three Alpina Mark 1's......I only found a pic for two, I'll look harder tomorrow for a pic of number three

So, have a look below

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

2002 Alpina 1 number 1.JPG

Alpina No 2 full size pic 2.JPG

I thought the model was a little on the heavy side. Started rubbing down the fus today. It looks like the front has been painted Red at least 6 times. Any ideas on sorting out the stress cracks around the tail ?

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG