Alpina C of G

barry h

I’m no expert but I would super glue the crack sparingly so as not to gum up the tail crank. Then sand out the cracks and fill with layers of light glass cloth and superglue. Built it up over flush and sand back once set hard. 

Are you going to fit an aero tow release? Well worth the bother imho. The Alpina is pussycat on the tow. 

pete beadle

Hi barryh

Finally! Number three!

I simply hadn't realised just how many planes I've owned and flown over the years.....and that's not including the three albums of pre-digital photos I've blown the dust off today! Thank goodness I had nothing better to do..... oddly, I didn't think it was a waste of time either, I found pics of my "4001", my "2501" and my Flamingo 2001 too......now why haven't flown this one recently...ah yes, the virus.....so here's a pic of my Flamingo 2001 to make up for it! Hope you like it.....Mark 1 no 3 first......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Alpina Mk 1 Launch.jpg

Flamingo 2001 002.JPG

1 hour ago, wookman said:

I’m no expert but I would super glue the crack sparingly so as not to gum up the tail crank. Then sand out the cracks and fill with layers of light glass cloth and superglue. Built it up over flush and sand back once set hard. 

Are you going to fit an aero tow release? Well worth the bother imho. The Alpina is pussycat on the tow. 

There is an aerotow release fitted, you can see it on one of the Fus pics.  I do quite a bit of aerotow up here at our site, all my larger models are fitted with a tow release and I have my own tug a Topmodell Biddule . I recently sold my Hangar 9 Decathlon as I really do not need two tugs. 

2017-8-3978%20copy_preview.jpeg.jpg

10 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

Hi barryh

Finally! Number three!

I simply hadn't realised just how many planes I've owned and flown over the years.....and that's not including the three albums of pre-digital photos I've blown the dust off today! Thank goodness I had nothing better to do..... oddly, I didn't think it was a waste of time either, I found pics of my "4001", my "2501" and my Flamingo 2001 too......now why haven't flown this one recently...ah yes, the virus.....so here's a pic of my Flamingo 2001 to make up for it! Hope you like it.....Mark 1 no 3 first......

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Alpina Mk 1 Launch.jpg

Flamingo 2001 002.JPG

After sanding off many layers of paint I may find that i've actually got an Alpina 2501  its that thick in places.  I had a flamingo once . I remember once winch launching it and just after release the elevator servo ceased working and stuck in one place at neutral. Luckily it was well trimmed and flew on straight and level. I just flew it round in large circles gradually losing height until it was low enough to attempt a landing. This was done flicking the brakes in and out until touchdown. I can not think of many of todays glass rocketships that you would get away with that. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This lockdown has some advantages . Alpina refurbed and ready to go. 

Broken airbrakes glued shut . It would have caused too much damage trying to get them out , the flaps can now get 55mm down movement almost 70% which should be plenty to slow it down for landing , also I can use Crow now. 

I may be able to get to fly it sometime this year. 

Stay Safe.

Barry H 

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Hi All

Better late than never. follow link to a short video of the re,maiden of my refurbed Alpina Mk 1. Note how well the crow brakes work.

Overall I am very pleased with it, as I should be.

• Like 2

Marc RC pilot

The smile on your face says it all Barry! :) A beautiful sailplane she is and some lovely hammer heads/flying.  Well done sir and thanks for sharing. 👍 

Loks good & you look well pleased with it.

BTW - its actually an Alpina Magic not the original Mk1

Boxed kit for an original Mk1 on ebay at the mo. - very tempted but too many other projects.

Phil.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments. 

I was'nt sure about Crow braking but they work exceptionally well, much better on the slope than airbrakes.

How do you tell if  its a Magic and not a Mark1?

The one on Ebay is not to far away from me and although ive got loads of stuff model wise to sort it is very tempting, I have already had some contact with the vendor  who seems quite a reasonable chap. The only problem at around £300 the reserve is still not met. So I think it will be quite expensive. There's only so much an old kit is worth and i,m not sure of its value.

I did a couple of years ago buy a 23year old new in the box Multiplex Condor. Built it and Maidened at St Aggys. There is a you tube vid under my name somewhere. Great flying machine . As usual sold it and the regretted it straight away. The multiplex ASH26 on the ground in the vid is also mine.

At the moment I am building a Valenta Libelle which is similar in size etc as the Alpina. Just toying with the idea of putting a sustainer up front so that I can fly locally in Norfolk as well as Cornwall where I like to spend as much time as I can these days.

• Like 1

The Mk1 has a pointier nose, and a more swept back fin. The Magic also had removable extended wingtips - span was 3.8m or 4.4m with the tips - the mk1 is 4m

I had an MPX Condor a while back - impressive machine

Phil.