Anyone got a new model ?

PeteMitchell

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Not seen much on the forum lately to show what new models  we are  all building 😧

So I thought if I show you mine, some one is bound to show me theirs😃

Here is my  new Prestige pk2  from Samba via Flightec.

Prestige pk2.jpg

• Like 9

Looking good Peter, your colour scheme still as good as ever. I guess the flying update will be some way off but, on the upside, the model will remain pristine for that bit longer. 

I’m a bit behind you so mine won’t be ready to show just yet.

Garry

• Like 1

John Minchell

Peter

Good idea to keep us from going house arrest crazy.

Mine is an older Optimus obtained from Neil at Flighttech as well, but I am kitting it out for GPS triangle racing.  Just wrestling with how to attach the boom to the pod and take up the slight slack fit to make sure the tail surfaces end up correctly in line before I permanently attach it with epoxy.

John M

20191215_094406.jpg

20191215_094454.jpg

• Like 4

isoaritfirst

Try winding carbon tow around it. Flood with cyano. It takes a while to dry so wets out well. Kicker to make sure it’s all dry  then sand to fit. 

• Like 1

thermaldoctor
5 hours ago, John Minchell said:

Peter

Good idea to keep us from going house arrest crazy.

Mine is an older Optimus obtained from Neil at Flighttech as well, but I am kitting it out for GPS triangle racing.  Just wrestling with how to attach the boom to the pod and take up the slight slack fit to make sure the tail surfaces end up correctly in line before I permanently attach it with epoxy.

John M

20191215_094406.jpg

20191215_094454.jpg

John if you have some use a light grade glass cloth. Cut to size and make a single layer and then apply. Take a polythene bag and cut it to make it flat. Then wrap around the glass cloth and either go round tight with masking tape all over or ideally use heastshrink to really get the cloth sitting down hard. Once the tape/heatshrink is removed and tbe poly sheet taken off it will then either be a good fit ir need some sanding to make good

I got this method from some very experienced optimus builders and use it myself it works very well. 

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Fresh to me, very fresh - my first 'big' thermal glider. I'll be playing with the big boys now - with an equally sized toy 🙂

A chance comment in the forums led me to this, I had been looking at a new one and failing to justify the cost.

elnino.thumb.jpg.c4aca9338645602cd4014445a7c76f25.jpg

• Like 5

Hallo friends,

I'm also buliding a new model at the moment.
I have made a youtube video project out of it.
So I can make some advertising for RC-flying.

Hope my perfect English is not a problem for you 😅

More episodes with this plane will follow.

Greetings
Julian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my little collection been very busy trying to get them all build ready for when we can start having fun . Thanks to Neil at flighttech for the super gliders and and all the help he gives .

20200507_115123.jpg

• Like 5

Hi yes it is a custom optimus in same colours as my old pike superior I loved and lost at Holland glide years ago . The optimus is a big flap windy layup prob about 1600g flying . The cross tail infinity is a performance layup about 1350g ish flying . The v tail infinity is the thunderstorm layup very very strong I think there about 1800g flying and the pike is a std layup not sure on weight atm but it is light with out gear in . I used a infinity performance and a optimus std last year both very very nice gliders. I think the pike will be my No. 1 glider as always liked pikes .

Regards 

Rob 

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

First time out on the field since January.😃 First flight of my Prestige2pk😃

Great to meet up with flying mates and it was not easy to remember to keep to the required social distancing  all the time. 

The model flys well and just needs me to get sorted with it.

IMG_3854b.jpeg

• Like 8

Almost ready for its maiden voyage. Saw Peter fly his yesterday so itching to go with this one now. 

By the way all the coloured sections are the same, just the lighting making them look different

Garry

8291306E-1685-4106-A761-6DA99A4DA869.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some lovely looking models here. I'm just getting a few posts in so that I can sell my Shadow and buy something more modern.

• Committee Member

Having more or less written off my Prestige earlier this year in a heart stopping sudden impact event, I was fortunate to be able to cheer myself up with this Plus X.

PlusX.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your Prestige Pete, what happened?

I built a Middle Phase with both wings to replace the model I learned to fly RC with. Tissue and dope covered.

Next was a PSS F-101 Voodoo followed by the refurb of a Multiplex Cortina.

A Multiplex Akro was next, fuselage is in the finishing stage.

My Brian Taylor Spitfire has seen a burst of enthusiasm.

Next build will probably be a Multiplex Twist.

20200509_164733023_iOS.thumb.jpg.5f3c4f01221da4b16d1eb32229b9614b.jpg

Aileron wing Middle Phase

20200509_154639966_iOS.thumb.jpg.bd75439fedc471fbc3e75bc4c382f055.jpg

Two channel Middle Phase

20200509_155101328_iOS.thumb.jpg.8d34094ecfc8b3e1e8881e123e7a4a5f.jpg

The original, no longer flyable.

20200710_082031092_iOS.thumb.jpg.36529092b1c1c92eb27f306f6ca93134.jpg

F-101 Voodoo PSS

20200815_101153890_iOS.thumb.jpg.7e338148db729319d58708df9180c86c.jpg

Multiplex Cortina, covering stripped and replaced, new winglets built, elevon servos moved from fuselage to wing. Fuselage resprayed.

20200924_143140961_iOS.thumb.jpg.a370bad43db394f0a2632ec3fb1f6028.jpg

Multiplex Akro built from a NIB kit, one piece foam/veneer wing, canopy hinges at the rear and is servo operated for braking.

20201101_135204310_iOS.thumb.jpg.16eaf4e2b1789f4e9c2a6c3c0ea9dfbb.jpg

Brian Taylor Spitfire, recent work has been skinning the wing, installing the retracts, adding the wing fairings and building the flaps.

20201111_132316317_iOS-resized.jpg.c370085b5e23ae23966f953e55a7a9e3.jpg

Multiplex Twist with carry box, probably the next build.

• Like 3

Hi Pete,

The Middle Phase build happened because a kit came up for sale at a ridiculously low price, I had always intended to build a replacement. The kit was the aileron version so I ordered a two-channel wing from Chris.

The wing tip has been redesigned, just a flat plate now to match the Xtra Wot/Acrowot etc and does shorten the build slightly.

By replacing the fuselage sides with ply/balsa laminate (suggested by Ali Machinchy) and using micro servos I came in just below his 42 ounce AUW (for the first time ever!).

I can fly both versions in the same session by reassigning my aileron stick to the rudder channel and removing the aileron links.