Anyone got a new model ?

PeteMitchell

My new Infinity GPS bought from Neil at Flightech. The model flies superbly and thermals very well, but in my opinion the GPS Light class rules need an overhaul to enable flying to be more interesting. The model uses a Tenshock motor, GM prop and Kingmax servos.

20201115_121517.jpg

20201115_121611.jpg

• Like 4

• Committee Member
On 13/11/2020 at 08:58, Gary B said:

Multiplex Cortina, covering stripped and replaced, new winglets built, elevon servos moved from fuselage to wing. Fuselage respraye

Great model Gary, I well remember my one !

It was a bit of a handfull to launch with a bungy, and land, on the old Fairlop club field.

• Like 1

The tow hook block is fitted but there's no hole drilled for the hook and it's going to stay that way! Germans think nothing of winch launching from ground level, dropping a wing could be fun.

The Twist just needs covering and servos fitting, the UK model suppliers seem to be out of stock of micro servos but I found some eventually. 500 grammes with four servos and covering to add.

20201115_141919241_iOS.thumb.jpg.9ceb85683979f580386e487351181610.jpg

• Like 2

Marc RC pilot

Nothing to do with Electric Soaring and F5J but I bought an Auri 1.5 DLG in mid-august this year which seriously needs it's owner to get his act together to get her started and finished...Especially considering that these kits are ARTF

This will be my first carbon/mouldee and a major upgrade from my trusty old Longshot1 😃 

20200818_085934.thumb.jpg.7ab79ed9e462df2acada0a53077d6c81.jpg20200818_085951.thumb.jpg.fc352f96fa11808e3b7872c4514373bf.jpg20200818_090348.thumb.jpg.2f40fa57af6af777b167ca43114d3507.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers, the build keeps getting interrupted by glider projects!

It's not for the faint hearted, there are no instructions, just a few notes on the plan.

Aeromodelling is a series of problems to solve, 'how am I going to build this bit? etc', not many hobbies have that element.

I will not clog this thread with power model stuff unless anyone asks but here's a couple more photos for interest.

20201101_122023832_iOS.thumb.jpg.a1281a81dba157079251049430c493ea.jpg

Outboard flaps, litho plate and 1/64" ply laminate skin, dowel torque tube, home made Paxolin hinges and operating arms. The tubes at the inboard ends hold a Bowden cable that drives the inboard flap sections.

20201109_151158141_iOS.thumb.jpg.815417fffd0b0249fcb5331ca033925a.jpg

• Like 4

The Akro is finished, RTF weight is 1320 g (46.5 oz), wing loading 41 g/dm2 (13.5 oz/sq ft).

Hoping to fly it before Christmas.

20201118_105224005_iOS.thumb.jpg.63b1c05f03adcd70844ce7c5a2db0704.jpg

Canopy airbrake fully open

20201118_105028633_iOS.thumb.jpg.bff76a92ac3f7c8cc2c9f72d0705daf0.jpg

• Like 2

New Infinity Evo 

A really beautiful 3.5m F5J yet fly's like a light F3B....Almost immaculate build quality!

I had the original Infinity a few years back, this is way better....the new design with input from Dirk Pflug is a delight. Im looking forward to trying out with the supplied 600g ballast! 😊👍 This is the Performance layup. With 1300 3S battery and white paint it comes in at 1730g.

Thanks to Neil @ Flightech for his excellent service... 

IMG_2882.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Last completed build before Christmas is a Multiplex Twist. Comes in a Correx transport box, very handy.

Foam/veneer wings, fibreglass fuselage, sheet balsa tailplanes and rudder. 6 mm carbon rod wing joiner clamped by a grub screw in each wing, novel. Self-connecting wing servos.

Span 1.86 metres, 750 grammes RTF and most of that is battery/noseweight.

I've left the graphics off for the time being as I don't like them!

It does have ailerons, both my phone and DSLR struggle with white wings, I've tried exposure bracketing and Photo Shop, gave up!

20201111_132316317_iOS.thumb.jpg.daf4309ed7bfebcfca3259a2bafd326c.jpg

935968311_20201129_102857324_iOS-Copy.thumb.jpg.581afe3ae83450c5214dd027730ff166.jpg

2 Explorer Q4's maidened today. 4 metre V tail beauties!

Probably 2 of the first in the UK.

Really well thought out design, fit and finish with performance to match.

Q4's.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my Vladimir Graphite, which is 20 years old. But it is new (almost) to its mode of use.

I have the big 4m lightweight F5J floater, but wanted something strong, repairable, heavy and fun to fly.

I changed the tiny motor for a Neu 1509/1Y and it decided to throw the (well within spec) Aeronaut prop – which then tore off all the front. It then did not come to earth happily.

The 3.4m span became 3.18m – but no washout. This model has been out of production for almost 20 ears, but there is an outside chance Vladimir may have something to fit. If not I would have to make one.

A quick message to Vladimir and a reply from Alex saying they had the moulds and would make one........ That's (as before) a slip on glider nose – so a little composite work to fix it on and make a hatch. Kudos to Vladimir.

So a big motor / gearbox and a huge 4S battery (sorry F5B guys it is so puny) and away we go.

It is not heavy (really) at 2kg and not really powerful at less than 1kw – but boy is it fun. And it really does thermal, that is if it was not the middle of winter. But with a “normal” glide speed of about 18mph it is far happier than any of my other large gliders.

GraphNew.JPG

GraTherm.png

• Like 2

• Committee Member
3 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

it decided to throw the (well within spec) Aeronaut prop

Have only actually seen this happen once  a long time ago, but have read about quite a few of these failures. It seems that even a soft landing can cause unseen damage to the root of a prop blade, and these props are made without carbon weave cloth which makes them more prone to sudden failure. 

Great model, had one very similar myself and very good to see one still flying😃

The prop is a 17 x 8 and it was climbing (15sec after launch) when it happened and (on 3S) it was well under 6000rpm. The rev limit is meant to be 8000rpm and it was a “never used” prop. One of the new ones. This was an early test on low power 550W (?)

Now on 4S it is on a GM full carbon prop and pulls far more.

** Note I have all the bits from the explosion, including the broken off piece (Don't know where the attached bit is at the moment) and it was an explosion. I would not call it root either.

AeroN.JPG

Here is the graph from the fatefull flight. It took 1 minute to fall from 100m.

I used the timing and height to calculate where all the bits were.

GraLast.jpg

• Committee Member
1 hour ago, AnthonyB said:

was a “never used” prop. One of the new ones. This was an early test on low power 550W (?)

Very scary! Were you using an offset hub or normal straight one?

2 hours ago, wixy said:

whenever I see someone using an aeronaut prop I try to advise them to bin it .Unfortunately I have witnessed to many expensive models wrecked by a cheap prop.

I agree, well they're ok for most foam gliders and some smaller lightweight stuff but if you spend decent money on a nice glider at least get a set of good quality carbon props for it. 

I was using an offset hub. They make the prop lay down better. It would seem that they do put more stress on the prop.

For 4m gliders I would never go over 400W and a lot less with some.

For 2m only a little over 100W. So you just use whatever works for you and Aeronaut props had wlays worked great for me.

However, I also flew F5B and then it was always "real" carbon props. The unfortunate part is that they are all over square. Like 14 x 14 up to 16 x 16 and even to 20 x 13. These are all RFM with the matching cranked and twisted centres. This is NOT an F5B model, but more a F5J-Type R.

So now it will only get carbon props and straight centre.... GM 14.5 x 10. I can't find a 15 x 10 but I will guess I will want more power soon and will end up on a 16 x 10.

There are some new props becoming available,  designed by  Julian Benz and manufactured by servorahmen.

far as I,m aware they are injection moulded glass carbon .

Dont know how strong /reliable /efficient they are but knowing the guys behind the manufactur would presume they have been well tested.

I have stopped using cranked spinners and changed to GM spinners and Props .expensive change but worth paying for the quality of the components and fit.