Anyone got a new model ?

AnthonyB
51 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Wot? No thermals?

I'm working on that - besides, it is the middle of winter and I'm much further north in the frozen Tundra.

• Haha 1
Marc RC pilot
On 16/02/2021 at 21:36, Phil.Taylor said:

New model !

Ecirtech Stellar F5J - all wood built up kit - I bought it ready built in December - from an ad on BMFA - was the original owners build project in the last lockdown. He said it went together well - certainly looks well built. Hoping to get it in the air in springtime - lots of covering to do - transparent of course to show off those lovely wingtips.

Link to website:

https://www.ecirtech.fr/stellar-f5j/

Phil.

Stellar_1.thumb.jpg.2c84adf4141b94318b47b63b2d945e72.jpgStellar_3.thumb.jpg.ff92c5d1bb20d6ab0410d7d3421ca6c7.jpg

Amazing birds of flight gentlemen! Good show 👌

The intricacy of the laser cut parts is quite something...The trailing edges on both Phil's wings and tail and that beautiful complex looking rib structure on those wing tips...Oh Lord :)

These kits must be a real treat to put together for sure and they all look very tempting for future projects.

Questions if I may:  Why stick to just E/R (with brakes) as opposed to having some wing control/ailerons? Is it because they are inherently stable with their polyhedral wing configuration etc/design specifically for task in hand/required for certain comp rules? Save weight/extra flaff ? Please excuse my ignorance 

Cheers

PS Stellar F5J build manual, great stuff :)

Marc RC pilot

Looks like the stellar has both flaps and ailerons?

Phil.Taylor
2 hours ago, Marc RC pilot said:

Looks like the stellar has both flaps and ailerons?

Yep - flaps and ailerons

• Like 1
oipigface
5 hours ago, Marc RC pilot said:

These kits must be a real treat to put together

If you read Graham Woods’ review (favonius.com) of the Svollazzo (not made by Ecirtech) you might change your mind. The Batwing I built last year from a laser cut kit was a real pleasure to put together mind.

• Like 1
Mikeb52
2 hours ago, oipigface said:

If you read Graham Woods’ review (favonius.com) of the Svollazzo (not made by Ecirtech) you might change your mind. The Batwing I built last year from a laser cut kit was a real pleasure to put together mind.

Funny you should say that John! 
Im just putting the finishing touches to a svolazzo, that I have built over this lockdown. It has been an interesting journey, to say the least! I read  Graham Woods review of the kit, and I was still daft enough to buy one!! 
But once the kit goes together, with a lot of fettling, you forget all that, and realise what a lovely model, you have at the end of it. I’m glad I didn’t put the lump hammer through it, although I was tempted at times. 😂😂

• Like 2
Graham Woods

I didn't mean to put anyone off this model but I did struggle with building it, even you threatened to whack it with a hammer! I hope it flies well, the flying and videos by Stéphane Combet are certainly excellent. I should like to know how your model flies when it is finished. Perhaps the moulded version, which was mooted on the extensive 'Svolazzo Voltige Totale' Facebook build page, will be a better choice for me.

https://youtu.be/yLj6VTxKa84

• Like 1
Phil.Taylor

Finally made a start on covering the Stellar - transparent Oracover - fus & tails done - wings to do - its big - theres lots of it !

Phil.

Stellar_nose.thumb.jpg.eb45726a4b14e6b60d49e2bee607dc6f.jpgStellar_tail.thumb.jpg.dce7e531f0571e4fd7d1e7df06ad3d04.jpg

• Like 2
Clive Jones

Beagle - scratch built F3RES. Since the photo was taken, I have replaced the rudder with a smaller one to get the weight down.

Clive.

Beagle.jpg

• Like 1
Clive Jones

As this is an electric soaring forum, I should add that I intend building an electric fus for the wing soon. I do have one made but it has a different wing retention system. Perhaps I will customise that one... :)

• 3 weeks later...
AnthonyB

I got some laser cut ribs, which are superb and 100 times easier than cutting them by hand, so I knocked out another Bombay Duck.

The first one had a 28mm nose - same as motor. This nose is larger and far easier to get all the gear in and stronger (because it has to balance the tail). I could not live with the shame of adding lead into the nose.

It flies just the same and I am looking forward to some lighter air to get it fully sorted. I like it (a lot).

BombayD.JPG

Phil.Taylor

Ecirtech Stellar is now covered !  - gotta love a bit of red white & blue - will certainly stand out against any background - I read that the transparent/translucent white Oralight glows in sunlight - certainly does - should look great in the sky.

Its gone from ARTC to ARTF - still got to install all the radio gear. Overall weight including radio gear, motor & battery is 1.3kg - should soar well.

Phil.

Stellar_3.thumb.jpg.448a2f51d8ae7b6185512ab977b3d81c.jpgStellar_6.thumb.jpg.c4691b2e690bb3004566f467c73aea59.jpgIMG_6152.thumb.JPG.3b8b66b4ce2296f296f9527145c5ba85.JPG

• Like 4
wookman

Liking the geodetic tip construction.

Clive Jones

BEagle flies well. SETA rubber with about 40m of line. Caught a couple of thermals on the third flight of the series.

FB_IMG_1616657572518.jpg

• Like 1