Sign in to follow this  
thermaldoctor

Samba Prestige 2PK Coming next......

thermaldoctor

The new Samba Prestige 2PK now in stock...! My own ones are soon to have a build and fly thread here on BARCS.

3.9m rohacell solid core carbon wing technology and the ultimate aerodynamic design from Philip Kolb for F5j and general all round electric soaring

20200426_145105.thumb.jpg.2193d9b187fc9065c9438507cd423889.jpg

• Like 2

thermaldoctor

Soooo...what can i say about the Prestige 2pk? Anyone who knows Philip Kolb (the designer) will tell you what a lovely, brainy, and articulate bloke he is. He is so good at numerical computation and also at aerodynamics it is unbelievable. So when Philip designs an F5j specific model based on months of computational fluid flow mesh analysis and testing by Samba to generate a series of wing, elevator and rudder airfoils you know it must be good. 

At the 2019 F5j WC there were a number of pre production Prestige models available to a limited number of pilots and all did extremely well. In terms of percentages it was the most succesful model by quite some margin. It won the preliminary contest and also made the podium in the main WC contest under a variety of conditions proving its viability as one one of the leading new F5j designs.

all_650_DSC_8507.jpeg.db52090a715fa878b7f72f6cda2544b5.jpeg

Apart from knowing Jaro Eva and Vlastimil from Samba very well and discussing about the model with them, i also had Steve Haley one of the UK pilots flying a Prestige and was out for every slot of every round helping him so had a real insight to what it can do and how it performs.

Now the thing is, is that particularly the pilot and to a lesser degree the  team around him are the ones who make or break it. But you still need a model that helps deliver the goods and that a pilot has confidence in.

We had 2 memorable slots with the Prestige.......one was a windy bump riding feeling out the air affair searching left and right all the time riding bumps over the front left of the campsite and the tree line. We were also in lane 1 so were closest to all the spectators and pilots watching . It was becoming late evening and Steves piloting and the Prestige delivered favourably. Many pilots dropped out. A high 990 or 1000 was our score from memory. Our official timekeeper friend and infamous Palo Lishak congratulated us on such a good outcome to a very demanding flight.

Then Steves very last flight at the championships we found ourselves low and scratching in front of the tree line with about 5 mins to go after a bad call and bad air. We walked towards the tree line to get a closer view of the model as we tried in vain to find something. By this time i was grabbing Steve tightly by his sleeve and shouting and pulling him back to the landing spot to make sure of landing points as he was not alone in succumbing to the bad air and it was starting to rain planes all around us so we should get a decent score if we made sure of the landing. 

But Steve suddenly stopped and said look! As i looked sure enough we had a very light very tricky thermal developing just in front of the tree line at about 10m altitude. All but 1 of the other pilots working the tree line continued home to their landing spots but 2 stayed on to work it. And be damned both got away. This was a testament to pilot skill but the models still had to the job. Which they did. Any error would result in either pilot going into the trees ( as the thermal broke away after the tree line and both models started well below and right in front if the tree line) . Both pilots made it over the tree line and flew the slot out to great applause. It was some of the best examples of thermal soaring under pressure i have ever seen. 

So yes...the Prestige can deliver the performance when a pilot needs it most..! In any condition.

• Like 2