New Flyer South Devon

matt1981g

As the title says, I am new to unpowered flight of any kind... flown powered RC for a few years on and off and built a few multi-copters of varying types. 

Really fascinated by the whole technology and challenge of flying without a brushless motor to pull you up skywards.

I spend a large amount of time on various simulators (Realflight 8, AeroflyRC, PicaSim, DCL and Velocidrone) and find myself flying the gliders more and more!

I have a couple of Chinese foamy power gliders a BG Walrus and a Phoenix 2400 but they seem way below anything on here!

I really like the idea of a DLG or slope plane I live very close to the coast so could find some possible site very close by.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Dreamflight Alula seems like a good into the unpowered world or not? cheap... not fragile...simple  https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=DF-ALULA-TREK&name=dream-flight-alula-trek

1 hour ago, matt1981g said:

As the title says, I am new to unpowered flight of any kind... flown powered RC for a few years on and off and built a few multi-copters of varying types. 

Really fascinated by the whole technology and challenge of flying without a brushless motor to pull you up skywards.

I spend a large amount of time on various simulators (Realflight 8, AeroflyRC, PicaSim, DCL and Velocidrone) and find myself flying the gliders more and more!

I have a couple of Chinese foamy power gliders a BG Walrus and a Phoenix 2400 but they seem way below anything on here!

I really like the idea of a DLG or slope plane I live very close to the coast so could find some possible site very close by.

Does anyone have an opinion of the Dreamflight Alula seems like a good into the unpowered world or not? cheap... not fragile...simple  https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=DF-ALULA-TREK&name=dream-flight-alula-trek

Hi Matt 

Welcome to BARCS .

I am also in South Devon   and have had the Dreamflight Alula  and currently  have  the weasel   and the Ahi   and  the Libelle   i find they all have there place on the slope .

To be honest i found the Alula not the best on the slope  (  Weasel  much better )     and also  the Alula  not the best on flat field DLG  type  (  Libelle  much much better  ) .

In our  power club we are lucky to have a  westerly  slope  at the same venue   and many in our club now have the Weasel    ( 7 in our club )   and all thrilled by them .

Regards

Grant T 

Phil.Taylor

Hi Matt

Welcome to the BARCS forum

Another vote for the Weasel from me - much wider speed range than the Alula for slope soaring - lots of fun - I've flown mine in just 5mph and over 40mph winds

Phil.

I think that the weasel is fun as a break from normal models. I wouldn't want one as my main sloping model.  

I think Pete is right you want something that's got a bit of size and heft to it.  E.g a middle phase. 

Yeah you can fly a weasel in strong winds but you will spend a lot of time facing the wind to avoid being blown back. 

StraightEdge

In my experience:

Libelle - a great introduction to slope soaring in light to moderate winds (but complete rubbish for DLG) - sold mine after a couple of years or so to an older club member who wanted to give sloping a try.

Elf - a great and very easy to fly introduction to flat-field DLG - RE only so you don't have to think about variable wing-camber,  flight modes and all that malarkey while you  just get used to basic launching and learn to recognise and hang onto thermals.  Later on, if you really get into it, then something like an Auri would be a good current 1.5m DLG at a very reasonable cost.

Middle Phase (semi-symmetrical aileron wing) - a very good, time-proven advanced trainer for the slope - built myself and flown  for the last two or three years in winds from 15-35mph, using various amounts of ballast when its 20mph plus.

I've been tempted to buy an Ahi just for the speed of installation and convenience of getting to the slope with something smaller and demonstrably capable, but I really dislike foam these days and prefer the span, mass and stiffness of a proper model.

Lots of options then - but I'd start with the first two, while you build yourself a MP (if you like building and balsa, else see if you can get a used one), later ask the question what mouldie if you want to go down that (expensive) route.

---

PS lots of videos out there of people who can fly all these models much better than me, but this was the maiden flight of my Middle Phase a couple of winters ago:   Middle Phase Maiden Flight at Uffington White Horse Hill

8 hours ago, satinet said:

All Stan's stuff flies well and is easy to build. Pick one you like the look of. I have had Sierra and Carerra.

Dartmoor can provide a slope for every direction. Quality varies a lot but that is part of the fun. No powered flight on the national park remember, even electric. And before anybody shouts, except for the club at Lee Moor.

• Like 1

matt1981g

Thanks for all the great info... I’m veering away from a Flying wing Style.

what are your thoughts on a big Vick? Seems to tick a lot of my boxes.

Versatile - seen video of both dlg, slope and thermal 
cheap - £150 ish with a really

easy build - I have limited building experience 

proper styled glider - looks like a glider! 

but I must concede that probably being a jack of all trades it will be the master of non, but as I’m starting out and unsure of what Style I’m really going to enjoy it seems a good place to start? Or am I way off the mark? 

elf.? Bit more cash but happy to spend if it’s better? 

To be honest i don't think you are understanding what coastal soaring is like. Fair enough if you want to only fly in days where the wind is under 5mph but models like that and the elf are really unsuitable for most of the conditions you will encounter. They lack speed for dealing with the wind and are too weak to survive.

Better off getting a wild thing or something more stout.  Even something like an easy glider would be miles better.

matt1981g
12 minutes ago, satinet said:

To be honest i don't think you are understanding what coastal soaring is like. 

ABSOLUTELY! I have no idea! That’s why I’m asking all these dumb questions! 
No clubs I know about near by. No experience whatsoever of soaring. Just looking not to make a costly bad decision. Sorry for bothering you.

oipigface
23 minutes ago, satinet said:

To be honest i don't think you are understanding what coastal soaring is like. Fair enough if you want to only fly in days where the wind is under 5mph but models like that and the elf are really unsuitable for most of the conditions you will encounter. They lack speed for dealing with the wind and are too weak to survive.

Better off getting a wild thing or something more stout.  Even something like an easy glider would be miles better.

I agree with Tom, and was thinking Easy Glider or Cularis myself. Both these planes will fly without any surprises  on coastal slopes in winds up to 15mph. I fly my Cularis without any modification, but I’ve replaced the original joiner in the Easy Glider with a similarly dimensioned piece of GF rod. This improves the performance a lot. 
On the other hand, it’s surprising what a DLG will put up with. See http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&edid=066b2af5-e189-4999-9bb6-5040f63e6a89

8 minutes ago, matt1981g said:

ABSOLUTELY! I have no idea! That’s why I’m asking all these dumb questions! 
No clubs I know about near by. No experience whatsoever of soaring. Just looking not to make a costly bad decision. Sorry for bothering you.

It's not a bother at all mate. Just trying to lay it down in frank terms. 

If you go to big slopes you can often be dealing with 20, 30, 40 plus mph winds.

Better to go for something that can handle a good range of conditions.

Multiplex solius might be a shout. 

matt1981g

I might stick with my 2.4m Chinese foamy and through it of a cliff to see how I get on, it’s a full house setup and with the motor to get me out of trouble or 3D print a solid nose cone for my battered HobbyKing walrus and add some ballast to sort the cg. Won’t be too disappointed if it ends up in Davy Jones locker! 

• Like 1

oipigface

Stan Yeo’s designs have been mentioned here before, but not his shop. I don’t think he has shop premises any more, but he still deals online, and his website phoenixmodelproducts.com includes the following invitation:

Come Visit Us

We are always happy for modellers to drop in and shop. Here are directions, give us a call to let us know you're coming.

I don’t know how the current circumstances would affect this invitation, but there are few people better qualified to help than Stan. If you do phone him allow at least half an hour for the call. Stan likes to talk.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matt1981g said:

I might stick with my 2.4m Chinese foamy and through it of a cliff to see how I get on, it’s a full house setup and with the motor to get me out of trouble 

your pheonix will be fine ........just remeber to keep facing into wind   and dont turn into the slope if you can help it 

• Like 1

Oh right i forgot you had that. Lol

Yeah fly that and you'll soon work out what you need depending on the local conditions and what winds you go out in.

oipigface

Has no one mentioned an Ahi? Within the price limit. Flies in almost any wind speed. Doesn’t require any building much. The only downside is that it’s a bit small. It’s the only plane I fly where I find dual rates really helpful. High rates for a good hoon in a good wind, low rates for quiet days or a bit of a break from the hooning.

• Like 1