New Flyer South Devon

matt1981g

oipigface

PS Stan’s shop is in Newton Abbot - about 30 miles from Plymouth.

oipigface

Has no one mentioned an Ahi? Within the price limit. Flies in almost any wind speed. Doesn’t require any building much. The only downside is that it’s a bit small. It’s the only plane I fly where I find dual rates really helpful. High rates for a good hoon in a good wind, low rates for quiet days or a bit of a break from the hooning.

• Like 1
oipigface

I just looked at the Phoenix ads. It looks about right. I wouldn’t start off at a coastal slope, though. Go to Dartmoor to begin with. Consider taking the motor out.

matt1981g

I’m more drawn to using the walrus! I love my Phoenix The walrus is grounded at the moment with a duff brushless motor, I have a 3D printer so might spend a hour designing and printing a full nose cone for it then give it a bash... it’s 7ch full house so without the motor I should be able to get it in the air with some lead in the nose.

the ahi is definitely an option seems a bit lively for a beginner though? And not a small investment £220+

isoaritfirst

Once you have been on the hill and met a few of the other fliers it will become very clear what model you want. 

By way of example, if  everyone flies wildthings then an alula isnt going to be a good mix, and visa versa.

Fly what you have until you know better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
oipigface
41 minutes ago, matt1981g said:

the ahi is definitely an option seems a bit lively for a beginner though?

That’s why I mentioned the dual rates! It is a pussycat in up to 10mph with low rates.