Radicalisation

wookman

You to eh OPF.

A bit more on the actual repair I was trying to do!

Hopefully the pictures tell the story.

Tip with carbon doublers added.

Doublers trimmed and tip fitted.

End of the aileron added.

Just a bit of tidying to do and it’s as good as new!

34871D8B-8E0A-4198-AE7C-DF5155105787.jpeg

D1B1AD4F-CABC-4082-A68B-C0863B710910.jpeg

00FBEC91-50AC-4771-B147-C69BA5662024.jpeg

BB4586A8-DF99-428A-8789-87CC423081E7.jpeg

• Like 1

You can fix the very end of that tip. Take a razor saw to cut a thin slot in. Put in a piece of sheet like a bit of servo cover offcut. Fill the depth with isopon and sand back to shape.

8 minutes ago, satinet said:

You can fix the very end of that tip. Take a razor saw to cut a thin slot in. Put in a piece of sheet like a bit of servo cover offcut. Fill the depth with isopon and sand back to shape.

To get the sharp corner on the tip?

Roxy is now airworthy again. Tip and aileron back in place and finished as much as it’s going to be for the time being. If I can avoid breaking it again I will waft some paint on it at some point. Now I am Radicalised again I can get back to some Extremism. 

A054677A-5D89-45C5-B365-F10B9A8DF0D7.jpeg

A62D7FBE-D6DD-44C0-A437-3FABDB5A0CE4.jpeg

Phil.Taylor

Well done - will be even faster now

Now get that CROW ele comp sorted - about 4mm down should do it...

Phil.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to fly Roxy with some ballast. Hmmmm nice. This is one slippery plane. I will not able to blame poor times on the plane anymore. Nowhere to hide now! Having got royally fed up with taking the nose off to turn the radio on and off I have invested in a mag switch. It will take a while to pay for itself by the saving in tape but when you factor in the preservation of what remains of my sanity, the amortisation should accelerate considerably. 

• Haha 1

isoaritfirst

I would consider grinding out the whole servo tray area so that you can insert a ply plate.

The plate can be made then to run back through that area, it is a weak spot on that model.

I see what you mean. It hadn’t occurred to me to do that but these super skinny fuselages do lack bending strength due the lack of cross section. A 1/4 ply plate from the wing joiner to the front of the servos would stiffen things up a bit! 

Speaking of wing joiner I now have four little cracks in it in the corners at the fuselage wing interface. Any bright ideas as to how to repair those?

Do this , I do the same to all my planes stops the joiner breaking the corners out with lots of ballast in the wings , it’s just 3/8th balsa 

6511513D-663A-4651-BDD3-9F5EBBB13025.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes John  back and front   and yes it is flush but it doesnt have to be ,saves those nasty Baudis joiners breaking the fuz down on heavier landings   and also serves to keep the wing servo wires out of the way .also if you do come in hard you have something to build back to 

4C722726-9864-4E9B-AF06-5A0CA69E51BA.jpeg

Hi Andy. Don't quite get what you have done there, any chance of a bit of verbage by way explanation please.

I have a feeling you might have misinterpreted my post (not all that clear having re-read it), the cracks are in the joiner on the front where the joiner exits the fuselage / enters the wing box.

• Like 1

I had considered extending the joiner hole forward in the fuz so there is a big gap. The joiner is floating anyway once installed so it doesn't really matter how big the gap is.