Radicalisation

wookman

A day in the workshop and I am now Radicalised. Just before anyone at GCHQ starts to panic Roxy is the ex Phil Taylor Weberschock Radical. This will my first proper modern two piece wing F3f machine. Yeah I know I have only been dragged into the mid noughties but she’s skinny enough to need a tandem ruddevator servo install so it’s progress for me. Question is this. How do you neutralise (another GCHQ alert) the ailerons and flaps accurately? I seem to remember reading about shining light across the surfaces somewhere. Anybody out there in a position “enlighten” me please?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wookman

• satinet

• oipigface

• Andy_B

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having flown and rather liking the Radical I thought I would sort out the little crease in the tip of one the tails. Drill a little hole in the bottom skin to poke the superglue applicator through and

Thanks mark r. I will give that a try. Nice bright day today so no shortage of light to reflect!  Here you go Satinet. Pics as requested. 

Next, a bit of Extremism.

Posted Images

pete beadle

Hi wookman

Can't help you with lights in the sky, or on your wing surfaces but, just really happy you were not enhancing a "Dopamin" for recreational purposes:frantics::)!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

With my full house gliders I go by feel to get a straight trailing edge. 

If you use a torch then use a red filter, white light gives away your position far too easily ;) 

Phil.Taylor

Seem to remember - just line up with fuselage fairings? 

I usually "sight" along wing stripes from the rear  so it looks about right - no stripes on the top of that one though

Phil.

satinet

the idea is to lay some strip of tape on the bench then look at the reflection on the bottom of the wing. 

Andy_B

Line the reflection of a door frame up against the bottom of the wing and look for it to be straight from the hinge line .

Doesnt really help if you fly somthing that needs to cruise with a slight amount of camber .

And like Phil says you have the fairing n the fuz and a fixed tip

mark_r

Hopefully this gives you an idea - pics show a straight edge laid on the floor then look at its reflection across the hinge line. You're looking for a straight line across the hinge line for neutral. The pictures show the reflection with the flap either side of neutral and (roughly) neutral.

flap 1.jpg

flap 2.jpg

flap 3.jpg

wookman

Thanks mark r. I will give that a try. Nice bright day today so no shortage of light to reflect! 

Here you go Satinet. Pics as requested. 

0902A51E-45A9-47A2-BFD2-BFB65B6210E0.jpeg

5FEE19AA-D651-4127-A589-ACDC3D264FE6.jpeg

• Like 1
Andy_B

Always remember seeing that plane for the first time down the Bwlch .........was properly Radical 

oipigface

You’ll love it, Graham.

wookman

Hi Phil.

You big old softy!

Hi Andy B.

This actual one?

Hi OPF.

I am sure I will. The ballast set up looks like it might take some getting used to. I have the full set of ballast (thanks Phil) but it seems to move the cg around a bit.

wookman

Next, a bit of Extremism.

• Haha 1
wookman

Managed to complete the programming on Roxy yesterday remembering to rebound to set the failsafe to full crow braking. All this closely based on the settings provided by Phil at point of purchase. Ready to go. 

wookman

Radicalisation complete. Roxy maidened under my stewardship. Trim spot on thanks to the ruler reflection exercise. Settings good thanks Phil. A quid stuck in with the battery sorted a slightly rearward cg. Elevator comp Under braking being a bit lacking lead to a Chinese landing which has broken off the tip. 😞

9C0B5B70-8282-401C-BFEF-254B7893577E.jpeg

022BA070-DD55-423D-B540-047D7D6A9D00.jpeg

• Like 1
wookman

Some of the wing skin is missing where the tip has broken so I needed some thin carbon sheet to bridge the gap between the two parts. Tape the jaws of the vice and lay a couple of layers of carbon and some epoxy and squeeze. 

E77F6B10-94E5-4521-ACA5-B9AED85ED0A3.jpeg

687202E2-673A-45C6-8E06-9DE927385C02.jpeg

B817FBBD-B6B0-4EA4-A023-76A3077139BC.jpeg

wookman

Having flown and rather liking the Radical I thought I would sort out the little crease in the tip of one the tails. Drill a little hole in the bottom skin to poke the superglue applicator through and run some into crease in the top skin. Everything went ok until superglue ran out of the tip and wicked down the wiper on the control surface. Having narrowly avoided sticking myself to Roxy I had created a problem! The elevator was well and truly stuck in neutral. The wiper is tape stuck to the le of the elevator and tucked under the trailing edge of the tail. This was suck over half it’s length as the superglue wicked along it. All this was cut free righting of the wiper in the process. All the superglue was very carefully trimmed away using a scalpel. New wipers were made from diamond tape and stuck on. On the positive side the crease is now repaired and we have nice new wipers but what a pile of grief to get there!

• Like 2
satinet

Bet you wish you hadn't started mouldie repairs now

wookman

I prefer flying but it's all part of the fun!

• Like 1