Extremism

wookman

This is the much travelled Extreme. Originally owned by Mark Abbot then variously by pretty much everybody who is anybody in F3f north of the wall, it came to me via Pete B a few years ago. The current situation has afforded time to work on it encouraged by finding the wing joiner that went missing during the house move almost 3 years ago. The model has done a fair bit of racing and looked well used with evidence of repairs to the wing. Having brought her home I later discovered that at one point in life she had a three piece wing setup! Lots of detailing work required. Nothing structural. 

2FAA5630-DA91-45AC-B49A-74EA2300340E.jpeg

D83C0EBA-6051-4272-B10F-3A0B60818922.jpeg

Starting at the back, I have araldited all the tail incidence pegs back in and smallened (if that’s not a word it should be) the tail joiner holes with superglue to tighten up the mountings. Being careful to allow the superglue to go off properly before trying the fit!

C5ED81AD-60D4-48B1-8CF8-8BB6309998C2.jpeg

0DF374BE-F8EE-4417-9D80-1D635D0A61F8.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s another one you’ll enjoy. I haven’t been able to fly my Extreme much since I finished repairing and repainting it just before the lockdown, but the two sessions I’ve had with it (Whitesheet and Musbury) were very rewarding. I agree with Pete: it probably isn’t able to compete with Pitbulls and Freestylers, but it’s a joy to fly.

Looks like she's had more crashes than a zx spektrum but if it flies straight they are as sweet a flying model as you could hope for.

• Like 2

She has completed several seasons of F3f north of the wall including some “oh dear I can’t get enough ballast in” conditions, so I have every confidence in the major wing repair. 

5 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi wookman

Great to see the old girl again, the love of my life for quite a while(!) :thumbsup:

Never raced or rallied (by me) but used as often as I could, usually dependant on the weather

IMHO the Extreme is THE all-rounder sport(s) flyer, never disappointed me......unfortunately, at the time I sold her, I rationalised that I had too many  high-value moulded "high-end" sports 'planes that, basically, had similar performance and, as a consequence,  I under-used. If you remember, the  models I sold that year were vying for my flying of them, but causing conflict when I picked one in preference to another

Luckily I am now concentrating on nostalgic (to me) models with good performance, but lower individual prices - and that's working well. I may be having another "slim-down" of model numbers later this year  though, because one of the "must do when I get time" jobs I did during this lockdown was to make a comprehensive list of all the "duplicates" and projects on the job list, which had a side-effect of showing me that I now have 53 models, most in RTF condition, all the receivers and servos fitted, and that's TOO MANY.

So, hence the impending mega-sale! Just thought I'd warn you all:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Interested in what goodies might be put in your mega sale...watching...waiting 🙂

19 minutes ago, pete beadle said:

I hope wookman enjoys it every bit as much as I did:thumbsup::)

Be in no doubt that I will Pete! There is a fair old chunk of jobs I need/want to do so it will not be ready any time soon. A lot of it is detailing work but I just like to have things spot on. It installs confidence and I have found creates a very reliable aeroplane. I like that. More major work includes a set of KSTs in the wing to replace the HS85s and 3150s. Nothing wrong with them but a couple of the frames safe coming adrift from the skins and some of of the push rods don't look very nice to me. I am a fussy git, but unless it's right then it's wrong and by definition no good. If you work out the genetic energy stored in a 4 kg glider doing 100 knots it is scary. The old servos will get recycled in something and I want to run it on 6 volts. 

Next job is a bit of pushroddery (and if that isn’t a word it definitely should be). There is about 4” of unsupported snake inner at the tail where the outers stop forward of the tail leading edge. Thinking of  reterminating them with short metal rods rather than clevis adaptors. The other issue is that a hole has been drilled in the fuselage for an aerial, I’m guessing. Problem is it has nicked the snake both outer and inner.  Now I have some carbon tows somewhere but I can’t find them at the moment. Hi 

0422A76E-B220-4DEA-B33C-10ACA023D075.jpeg

367F75F7-A108-4DAE-8915-CACEC82C0610.jpeg

7797EBB6-82EC-4915-A30C-F5A4C8E0FD5E.jpeg

Here is what I am thinking of for the rear end of the fuselage pushrods, compared to the current set up. 

DD7BF4B7-E812-49BF-879D-02B622696709.jpeg

Push rod soldering. I used a set of croc clip “hands” for t first time. Don’t know how I ever managed with out them. Inclined the job sightly to help the solder flow into the brass tube. Drilled out the excess solder  in the tube giving 10mm overlap for the soldered steel rod and leaving 15mm to araldite the carbon push into. 

ED49EE0C-5A3A-4D65-A28B-14FD9B58082F.jpeg

061F68C5-F017-413F-9A23-07E50DFE146B.jpeg

2A7DBBAD-72D9-4547-9E5D-DE8A7A5F37E0.jpeg

Done a bit of measuring and it looks like I have just enough pushrod work that my steel extensions at the rear to determinate the front end and so loose the nick in the rod. It does involve preserving as much length as possible so the old adaptor has not been cut off but the body of it filed away back to the rod. That 10mm is going to make a difference. 

76969FAA-1A67-4875-A044-1D939D7433D8.jpeg

George Young

I am a wee bit wary of having adjustment at both ends of a pushrod.  Just in case, over time, the pushrod unscrews in one direction and separate.

• Like 1

Hi George.

I have the same reservations. I have seen it happen (not to me) where an internal elevator rod on a power model unscrewed itself unseen by owner until it let go. There wasn't much left worth salvaging out of that one. Even gliders are subject to bit of vibration in the car to and from the hill, they are in mine anyway! Plan is to lock one or possibly both ends with a dab of loctite or may be a nut if there is the space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Young said:

I am a wee bit wary of having adjustment at both ends of a pushrod.  Just in case, over time, the pushrod unscrews in one direction and separate.

Probably why Baudis builds come with GLUE written on the clevises at the front.

• Like 1