George Young

I am a wee bit wary of having adjustment at both ends of a pushrod.  Just in case, over time, the pushrod unscrews in one direction and separate.

• Like 2
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wookman

• oipigface

• satinet

• pete beadle

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Extreme has now returned to the environment it was assigned for. The English Open at Whitesheet provided the crossed and challenging conditions. Pictured here with a later RTG offering. 

The Extreme is now test flown and is good. Cg  a little forward but not to far out. Set up seemed good. Aileron differential is good. Front loaded snap flap has it turning nicely. Flew straight as a d

The Extreme is now ready to go. I managed to shoehorn the mag switch in, just. A bit of programming and set all the throws and we are good to go. So the question is, will I get a chance to fly it befo

Posted Images

wookman

Hi George.

I have the same reservations. I have seen it happen (not to me) where an internal elevator rod on a power model unscrewed itself unseen by owner until it let go. There wasn't much left worth salvaging out of that one. Even gliders are subject to bit of vibration in the car to and from the hill, they are in mine anyway! Plan is to lock one or possibly both ends with a dab of loctite or may be a nut if there is the space.

• Like 1
oipigface
1 hour ago, George Young said:

I am a wee bit wary of having adjustment at both ends of a pushrod.  Just in case, over time, the pushrod unscrews in one direction and separate.

Probably why Baudis builds come with GLUE written on the clevises at the front.

• Like 2
wookman

Araldited (other epoxies are available) the new push rod ends on this morning. Jigged nice and straight with ruler and spare ballast. 

76B57F17-23B2-4A33-8CC2-908819E1F721.jpeg

wookman

Snipped the adaptors off the push rods and drilled out the remains off the snake inner. The snakes are a core of glass tows with a slippery black outer sheath. The mods at the back ends have liberated enough snake inner to reterminate the front end and loose the nick in it. The super slim adaptors that have been salvaged allow the snakes to be removed from the fuselage but do require the black outer skin of the snake to be removed before it will fit in the adaptor. I had a bit of a practise on the now excessively long snakes. 

9953169F-7760-4FFC-9E6B-7E514183052E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
wookman

Bit more progress over the last couple of days. New servo tray for the fuselage has been constructed and the old rails sawn out. The last one needs attacking with the dremal or at least my Black and Wrecker equivalent. The new tray will allow me to set the height of the servos to optimise the snake runs and the clearances to the fuselage and hatch. 

DDE90E06-E00B-4E8E-8648-735F848E4676.png

5E032F2E-E4D5-42B4-B431-C741103B0FE6.png

wookman

Final fettling of fuselage for servo tray now completed along with a bit more work on the tray itself to ensure a good fit.  Tray now araldited does into place. Servos will be removed once the epoxy has set assuming I haven’t glued them in! This will allow the sides to be trimmed back to neaten everything up. 

9008AF00-E2BF-44D2-8A11-47E8239ED941.jpeg

Peter G

Just the 6 owners!

Abbo, me, Mike, George, Pete and Wookman.

Great to see it getting some further fettling 👍

wookman

Hi Peter.

Still a chunk of work to do yet as I am planning a reinstall on the wing to replace the HS85s and the 3150s with some big KSTs and some M2.5 pushrods with nice straight runs to the horns. Need to do some work to generate some clearance between the flap and the aileron so I can get movement on them without them clashing. Saw OPFs Extreme flying the other day, so I am l looking forward to flying this one.

abbof3f

Arrrr my Baby!!!! lol ......Yep i won,t forget "blasting up and down on levisham " after a comp she was shifting abit ....and i am sure she can really move again with all the repairs ....i always thought she was too light !!! lol .God bless her!!! and all that sail in her ...She is the original "Bridgend slag" of f3f ships ! lol

• Haha 1
wookman
7 minutes ago, abbof3f said:

"Bridgend slag" of f3f ships

This definitely  requires further explanation Mr Abbot!

Plan is to race her again when she is done. I think she will be a nice stable mate to Roxy Radical.

satinet

Your gonna want to use the shortest control horn possible on the vtail servos.

Bear in mind that the model has 'pull for up' on the tail which result in slightly shorter horns than normal, and even on most f3fs you end up only using a small percentage of the servo travel. 

abbof3f
2 hours ago, wookman said:

This definitely  requires further explanation Mr Abbot!

Plan is to race her again when she is done. I think she will be a nice stable mate to Roxy Radical.

Nothing Nasty Wookman , i just meant she had passed through alot of blokes hands , akin to a typical bridgend lady !

wookman

Well I had to ask didn't I! I'm sure a goodly number of the ladies of Bridgend may take issue with you there. 

• Haha 1
wookman

I managed not to glue the servos into the fuselage. Trimmed the fences down to the existing tray level. Nice neat job. I am very pleased with it. On to finishing off the pushrods. 

A429D99D-454E-4F08-8AD2-6551A335EA10.jpeg

• Like 2
wookman

A little more progress this morning. Snakes have been trimmed to length and the slippery black outer removed to enable the previously salvaged connectors to be bonded back on. The nick in the snake has now been “removed”. Tubes for the rx aerials have been installed using the piece of wire and magnets method and the zip tie. Whilst all the glue sets I am off to paint the ceiling in the downstairs loo. 

0874B235-AF7F-4FB3-B467-50F77A32B8AC.jpeg

DFD8DDA3-68B5-4DA1-B387-78A2CBFAFC4C.jpeg

mikef
1 hour ago, wookman said:

Tubes for the rx aerials have been installed using the piece of wire and magnets method and the zip tie.

Please, I understand the wire and magnets but what does the 'zip tie' do?

wookman

I have a second lateral tube bonded to the front face of the forward servo rail at ninety degrees to the wire and magnets tube. It doesn’t show up too well in the picture. 

• Like 1
oipigface

Could we see photos of the ceiling in the downstairs loo, please? Before and after?

• Sad 1