EssexBOF

Nostalgic Times of Thermal Soaring

EssexBOF

Paul Bardoe put this picture up, of a Thermal comp at Ongar School in the early 80's.Shows my Triolgy 5 which I think  is still around near me, The comp used to attract an entry close to 70 🙂

Trilogy 5.jpg

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Brian

Yes, I used to like the Ongar comp

I remember flying my Hi-Phase, Middle-Phase and Multi-Phase depending which was best for the conditions .

I seem to remember some poor flyer who got his plane lodged in the upper branches of a tree there, and, because the organisers had to call the fire brigade, they asked me not to take any pics and not to mention it in my column in RM.....happy days

I also remember spotting for Pete Cubitt where he was constantly flying his Calypso at the very limit of his and my eyesight....hard work!

Nostalgic times indeed

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

EssexBOF

The model in the tree, Pete, was Ray Gadennes. Evidently, the fire brigade, which had a station close by, actually welcomed coming out for practice, so they said and hung around to watch.

Last one their was in 1999.

• Thanks 1

EssexBOF

Found this picture, at Ongar, which shows how many used to attend this and other comps in the 80's

Dave with Sailair.jpg

• Like 2

EssexBOF

This is a bit like buses, none come along then they all appear together!! I had a job finding a picture of tthis model for the book.

Another picture from the past has turned up, from an old club mate in the 70's. Shows the first glider design I ever did, different as it had swept  forwards wings, rudder,elevator & spoiler. dates form 1975, called "Summer Wind"being assembled at the old Anglia Club field, now known as Stow Maries, Great War Aerodrome

Summer Wind 1975.jpg

• Like 2

EssexBOF

Well who would believe it!!!!My old friend Paul Bardoe found my old Trilogy 5 dating from 1980, turning up on the RC Universe site for sale, looking exactly like it did then. Well not quite as it has the later tip panels on it, increasing the span too 144. And the rudder has been recovered, still not bad for 40 years old.

image.thumb.png.2841dcfef5b2a9bac5f0c1c7413fb6f7.png

• Like 2

martynk

Those comps look wonderful... Shame we wont see anything like that again. :(

(I never saw it in the first place though).