Sign in to follow this  
SilentPilot

Wing retaining

wookman
1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

Mr wookman you were spot on!

Initially turns seemed nice enough but once bank is established there is indeed an ugly amount of Dutch Roll going on. 
Things get better with expo and reduced throws but i don’t like landing with severely reduced throw.

I'm tempted to try slowing the rudder servo slightly!
Then again it’s probably not a good landing configuration either...

Straighten the joiner to achieve designed dihedral. Get as much rudder movement as you can and use expo to soften the response to taste. Don't slow the rudder servo. 

• Like 1

SilentPilot

Cheers wookman

I've been reading up on the 2m Algebra so see what dihedral is should have. I guess most people do their research before getting the plane though eh...
I did find a plan and it shows bent wing joiners but I cant read what it says and zooming in just makes it blurry.

It seems the way if flew matches how others describe. It can be slow to turn but once over it almost needs to be held off with top rudder. I must say I did notice this, though I think I only needed to centre the stick to stop the roll. Not typical of a R/E model, they usually self right if left alone...

The wallowy feel can be reduced slightly by reducing the dihedral (though nobody says what to!) and/or moving the CG forward slightly.
I know I was close to the (Aft?) CG markings that Pete had put on. Maybe that is too far back for slope use with its associated turbulence.

I'll keep looking for a book dihedral angle! 

wookman

Here is the Outerzone plan download which seems to zoom in without loosing clarity. https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8884 

No measurements but there is a clear drawing of the wing joiners in elevation to give the angle.

SilentPilot

Thanks, that’s the one I found too but I can’t zoom in and read it :( 

I managed to lay a protractor on my iPad though and estimate it to be 10° Does that seem about right? 

SilentPilot

I pulled out the joiners and they seem to be 14⁰, so that's only out by about 4⁰.

I'm not going to try alter them. My margin for error is likely bigger than that anyway! 

So that leaves CG, which I suspect was already too far back for a turbulent slope, and then control throws.

It does seem to have quite a large throw on rudder. Plus I think the actual rudder has been oversized. I'll try more expo. 

Then I guess there's technique and experience. It does seem to fly how they said it should :D

satinet

The plan is perfectly zoomable for me. Some pdfs can take a few seconds to re-render depending on how complicated they are.

Personally i would print out the bit with the joiner and lay my own joiners over them. Shouldn't be too hard to bend them.

Just seems like having a different joiner angle is introducing a significant variable you don't need. 

SilentPilot

So you reckon taking out ~4⁰ is doable? 

satinet
1 hour ago, SilentPilot said:

So you reckon taking out ~4⁰ is doable? 

of course. It's only steel isn't it?

pete beadle

Hi SP

Back in the good old days we used to test fly the models with a little too much rudder throw, and use the pre-set rates, on a switch,  to "tame" any rudder problems

An old (literally old) mate of mine used to say "Flying rudder elevator requires finesse - that's why most beginners can't do it, and hate it":):yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Powered R/E planes are easy! 

• Like 1

SilentPilot
23 minutes ago, satinet said:

of course. It's only steel isn't it?

Yes it's steel but I don't fancy my chances of taking out 4⁰

I'd likely go too far and end up with not enough dihedral :(

satinet
31 minutes ago, SilentPilot said:

Yes it's steel but I don't fancy my chances of taking out 4⁰

I'd likely go too far and end up with not enough dihedral :(

just bend it back. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill tbh.

• Like 1

SilentPilot

The more you bend metal the weaker it gets...

pete beadle

Hi SP

The more you fly a 'plane that's got too much dihedral, and you know it's got too much, the better the chance Murphy's Law will apply, and flying it and not correcting it, will end in tears!:yes::(

Come on mate, bending a piece of 6gauge wire twice is NOT chancing total failure of the metal:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

SilentPilot

Looks like I've been shamed into doing it :D 

• Like 1

EssexBOF

Reading this post, has made me think that the name "Algebra" is very apt for this model.😃

SilentPilot

Indeed! 

SilentPilot

Done now.

Aimed for 10⁰ but, as expected, I think overshot.

It looks markedly flatter now. Still just over 6" under the tip with the other on the floor so ~3" under each tip on a 6'6" span. (It might actually be slightly over 2m now but I won't tell if you don't ;))

20200528_190557.thumb.jpg.c379ea481de078577ad9c042a55e2fe0.jpg

Marc RC pilot

If helps:

img049.thumb.jpg.614760e0331f970daaa71d09af419705.jpg

SilentPilot

I'll save that pic, thanks! 

It was ~15⁰ which this states is ideal for R/E Sport models, however, the Algebra has a swept wing which has it's own kind of dihedral effect once it has roll established.

I'm now between 5⁰ and 10⁰ I knew I wouldn't be able to take out just 4⁰

I'm willing to flight test it on a calm day though. Probably Tuesday if I get to the club.