Witch_1

Ridge Rider

Witch_1

Took a couple of pics of this Sailplanes International Ridge Rider which was repaired as a lockdown project and flew again last weekend. 

I'm not sure when exactly it was built, late '80's I think, it has been with my father and myself since the early 90's.  Span is 2.15m single piece wing, plus tips that take it to 3.15m.  It a nice smooth flyer with short wing, and does great slow aerobatics.  Not so obvious from the photos is a slight sweep back of the trailing edge and tailplane, which looks very distinctive in the air.

There is a dilapidated one of these ending shortly on a well known auction site if anyone wants a worthwhile project.

P1050191b.thumb.JPG.9433f4dcc40d581ac12ab030ba043330.JPG

P1050190b.thumb.JPG.bb2d3863593597bda25452aca8980e56.JPG

pete beadle

Hi Witch_1

Very nice

I had a "Ridge Racer" as one of my "Lockdown Projects" but I was able to get it into flying condition in only two days(!) so had to move on to the next one, a "Chiltern Crusader" to while away the next week.

The nose, canopy and wing of your "Ridge Rider" were virtually identical to my "Ridge Racer", although the tail end was very different, being swept back

Can't wait to see my two in the air - practising for Nostalgia Day:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702 

SilentPilot

When is Nostalgia Day?

I'll gladly accept an invite if lockdown allows! 

f3fman

That Ridge RIder looks very familiar to me Nigel, I remember sloping of the hangars at Wroughton airfield during an inter club thermal competition, after asking if it was ok, did well with it !!  :-)

Witch_1
9 hours ago, pete beadle said:

practising for Nostalgia Day

Hi Pete, the "Ridge xxx" series did have a good family resemblance and all looked good.  Not sure if you are referring to a real event, but it could be a good idea as a theme for one of the White Sheet Open Slopes events.

Witch_1
9 hours ago, f3fman said:

I remember sloping of the hangars at Wroughton airfield during an inter club thermal competition, after asking if it was ok

Hi John, from what I hear about F5J you would probably get along fine with that technique.  I see you still have your Quasar aerobatic design in your model list which had a matching colour scheme if I recall.

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi SP

ISA Nostalgia Day is always on the second Saturday of September each year

This year that means it is on Saturday 12th September 2020

I am happy to invite you to attend ISA Nostalgia Day this year, and hope that you and all the other flyers of nostalgic models that have already received invitations, will be able to attend too

The National Trust accepted the ISA's  request to re-commence flying at the Beacon site on Saturday 16th , and so the Ivinghoe site is now available to all flyers that are insured, and who undertake to accept the restrictions to flying there set by the NT, (eg NO flying of power models - including electric)  signs detailing the NT rules are in  place in both of the car parks used by flyers. BTW If you do want to fly electric models you can do so at the ISA Flat Field at Hockliffe , use of this facility is by invitation only for all flyers other than ISA members.

Keep well, keep flying

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle
32 minutes ago, Witch_1 said:

Not sure if you are referring to a real event, but it could be a good idea as a theme for one of the White Sheet Open Slopes events.

Hi Witch_1

As you can see on my reply to Silent Pilot, yes ISA Nostalgia Day is a "real event,"  organised by myself, and flown on the second Saturday of September each year.

I'd be very happy to see you adding a Nostalgia Day to the White Sheet's calendar, and would be happy to provide you with details of how I organise the ISA's Nostalgia Day if you want me to.

BTW ISA Nostalgia Day is NOT a competition so your Nostalgia Day, should you decide to have one,  shouldn't appear on your competition calendar....it's just a meeting place for like-minded souls that enjoy flying models they find nostalgic:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

f3fman
12 hours ago, Witch_1 said:

Hi John, from what I hear about F5J you would probably get along fine with that technique.  I see you still have your Quasar aerobatic design in your model list which had a matching colour scheme if I recall.

Indeed, I flew the Quasar a few months ago after very many years in the hangar 🙂