StraightEdge

Taranis/OpenTX - Logging Telemetry Data

StraightEdge

Wonder if anyone can help, or point me towards a clear online resource.

I want to be able to:

1.  Log altitude data on my X9D+
  2.  Then download this (via Companion I assume?) into an exportable graphic form,  a bit like the piccie below.

Jon

2 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

2ndjune-telemetry.thumb.JPG.eecad1ceab3ab434cb179128f4fe204c.JPG

cirrusRC

Jon

how far have you got?   

• What RX are you using?   
  • RX (telemetry enabled)  needs to be configured on the TX.     You can then enable logging for the telemetry which is written to SD card
  • Then load Companion,   Load Log (Select recorded trace from SD card).
  • Select the Altitude log  to show graph.
  • I use windows snipping tool to take screen shot for exporting screen shot.

let me know how far you have got and I can talk you through in more detail.

cheers

• Thanks 1

StraightEdge

Been using RX4R plus FrSky vario in 2mRES, and now have a G-RX6 with integral vario to go into DLG.

In the case of the 2mRES, already got telemetry set up and working on TX to display Alt+, Alt and Vspd.

So, from what you're saying, it sounds actually very straightforward to first enable logging then just upload each flight's log onto Companion, etc.

Will fiddle with the TX to enable logging, then test in the garden (star-jumps with the RX and battery in one hand should work adequately!) then download.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

StraightEdge

I think I've now sorted it.  RX and Vario removed from wrecked X-RES fuselage and hand-held for the test at various heights in the room from floor to ceiling.

To set it all up in the radio:

• First in the Telemetry menu, need to 'discover' sensors,
  • Then in the Special Functions menu, need to 'enable' logging.

Then in Companion, it looks like one doesn't need to actually upload the  log file, one can just 'view' it.

Yay!

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 06.47.32.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 06.55.14.png

• Like 1

cirrusRC

Yes nice one Jon - looks like you have got it.

Just be careful to ensure you are actually logging to SD.    Some of the TX programs like Jaspers have a switch for toggling the SD logging.      You know its logging when you see this icon.

Capture.JPG.b20878395d6eeed784edcefce10ddf31.JPG

I have a special function set to "ON"  which forces SD logging on all the time.

When you view the log in Companion you will see the entire session.     You just need to select the rows in the table below (SHIFT + CURSOR KEYS)  to select the portion you want.

You can also export as a CSV file and do something funky with your own charting using EXCEL.

I kinda wish the graphing support was better in companion for viewing and manipulating these charts - it's very basic.

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Cheers.  Yes, reckoned the new symbol at top-right of screen meant logging, and I set it to "ON" all the time... as putting it on a switch is just one more thing to forget to turn on!

Useful tip to know I can select just the timeframe for the flight to be graphed, thanks.

Jon

PS:  18mths into using the Taranis (with a big gap in the middle when I did no RC activity at all) I'm becoming much more fluent with OpenTX.  Initially programmed my own models from the manual, but since learnt lots from studying the Frickman and Shellim templates.  The trick for me seems to be to keep things as simple and elegant as possible, while getting just the right amount of functionality I need.

Marc RC pilot

Great thread,  thx chaps. Will give it a go on my similar RC setup 👍

PS does the data stored take up much space on sd card? I would have thought it be minimal.

StraightEdge

Being just a series of numbers it must surely be very little - just think how many photos, each one with full-fat data, one typically gets onto a SD card.

Also might as well delete each log after viewing or uploading.

Marc RC pilot

Cheers StraightEdge