Speedfire 2

Feefo

I finally flew the SF2 I bought off Alan Flockhart,  4031 2050kv : 6.7GB/ 6s/ 19x 22 and it was great! I set up a long 1.8s ramp for launch mode as social distancing meant no one available to help with that 1st launch, and it worked perfectly. Once in the air I switched to a shorter ramp of 0.8s which also seemed to work great. Even on 6s  you could see the SF2 pick up speed towards the end of the throttle ramp, something my X Plane doesn't really do, or at least isn't as noticeable. Had a blast carving the sky up with it and can't wait to get more flights in. Maybe a slight mistake on my part though, I removed the landing peg that was installed, and with all the decent weather we've had the runway was a scorched strip, so despite it slowing to a decent landing speed the thing slid forever 🤣

I'd planned to have a 2nd flight on 8s, but I got a single RSSI warning in flight (FRSky) so decided to check install and do another range check at home rather than tempt fate. As a precaution I've swapped the rx and range checked this afternoon and it looks ok, although it looked ok on the other rx  so I'll have to see. Antenna's are inside fuse, both are well clear of the carbon front and back, I know most keep the antenna's internal but I usually run the tips outside so I'm a bit wary about them inside. If I get another low RSSI warning inflight I'll probably drill 2 small holes and put the tips outside for piece of mind. I guess it's possible from a certain angle that both antenna's get blocked for a fraction of a second so has anyone else experienced a low RSSI signal  that doesn't/ didn't seem to cause any further problems with internal antenna's?

SF2-Angle[986].jpg

This is great to hear, well done! The good thing is you can add cells later and there is plenty of room for them in the fuz.  It is great that you could launch on your own, very handy. 

Alan Flockhart

Glad to hear it went well.  Yeah the landing spike is a must really.  It also stops the plane skidding round and damaging the prop etc when the grass is short and wet.

Get a few more flights under your belt and we need to twist your arm to attend a training or comp day 😉

I Used to get odd warning flying f3b with the aerials inside the fuse. With the plane at distance and certain angles. 

I never had any loss of contact but you are right to be cautious.

Not sure what advice to give - check your logs and see if it's generally low or quick drops.

Nice plane. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, satinet said:

I Used to get odd warning flying f3b with the aerials inside the fuse. With the plane at distance and certain angles. 

I never had any loss of contact but you are right to be cautious.

Not sure what advice to give - check your logs and see if it's generally low or quick drops.

Nice plane. Enjoy.

Haven't used the TX much, that was only the 3rd flight, but I got no warnings on my 2nd flight which was a different plane (which was also a maiden..) but had the tips outside the fuse due to it being carbon. Well at least I know it can happen and not be a problem so I'm a little more relaxed about trying again with them inside.

1 hour ago, Alan Flockhart said:

Glad to hear it went well.  Yeah the landing spike is a must really.  It also stops the plane skidding round and damaging the prop etc when the grass is short and wet.

Get a few more flights under your belt and we need to twist your arm to attend a training or comp day 😉

Fair point about stopping it spinning around, good enough reason to put it back on I guess.

Haha, yeah I figured this was coming. I certainly need more time with it 1st, do you need an A or B license to compete? I could 'possibly' make Wetlands as I mentioned when we met, I'd prefer a training day rather than being thrown in at the deep end tbh.

2 hours ago, Kyri said:

This is great to hear, well done! The good thing is you can add cells later and there is plenty of room for them in the fuz.  It is great that you could launch on your own, very handy. 

I think I'm ready for 8s, guess I won't know if I'm not until I try it...

Yeah I'm pleased that using a longer ramp for launch has worked, I maidened an X Plus before the SF2, that's running a 1509 1.5D  setup I bought off here, maidened using a 3s to trim it out etc and then went 4s next flight. Launch was still easy and I'd be stressing about that one being flown more than the SF2. I killed the 4s though, lol, 2200mah doesn't last long with that motor on 4s, bigger battery next time 😆

IMG_2272.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure you know this but if the fuse is all carbon you definitely want the aerials outside. I don't know if there is a non carbon area on the fuse of that model. 

Alan Flockhart
2 hours ago, satinet said:

I'm sure you know this but if the fuse is all carbon you definitely want the aerials outside. I don't know if there is a non carbon area on the fuse of that model. 

On the SF2 there is a kevlar window for approx 2 inches behind the wing so all good on having the aerials inside.  I know when Jos flys he is fairly frequently getting RSSID low but that doesn't appear to worry him. Worth having a good range test (without the motor battery connected!) to see what signal strength is like in different orientations. 

Re Events - Everyone is always welcome to come along and have a go. No pressure to enter the event so essentially it is just practice.  We all started somewhere :)   Most with knees knocking and hands shaking as the plane didn't want to go in a straight line from A to B 🤣.  But after a few flights things started to make more sense.

Forgot to say when Steve B and I went over to our first Eurotour  ummm about 12 ish years ago we were shaking like leaves during the flight!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Feefo said:

I think I'm ready for 8s, guess I won't know if I'm not until I try it...

Yeah I'm pleased that using a longer ramp for launch has worked, I maidened an X Plus before the SF2, that's running a 1509 1.5D  setup I bought off here, maidened using a 3s to trim it out etc and then went 4s next flight. Launch was still easy and I'd be stressing about that one being flown more than the SF2. I killed the 4s though, lol, 2200mah doesn't last long with that motor on 4s, bigger battery next time 😆

IMG_2272.jpg

Lovely looking plane by the way. Hope it goes as well as it looks. 

👍🏻

4 hours ago, satinet said:

Lovely looking plane by the way. Hope it goes as well as it looks. 

👍🏻

It flies great. I like Yuri's work, the paint job isn't up to his usual standard with a few imperfections but I can live with that, you can't tell when flying so it's no big deal. 

5 hours ago, Alan Flockhart said:

On the SF2 there is a kevlar window for approx 2 inches behind the wing so all good on having the aerials inside.  I know when Jos flys he is fairly frequently getting RSSID low but that doesn't appear to worry him. Worth having a good range test (without the motor battery connected!) to see what signal strength is like in different orientations. 

Re Events - Everyone is always welcome to come along and have a go. No pressure to enter the event so essentially it is just practice.  We all started somewhere :)   Most with knees knocking and hands shaking as the plane didn't want to go in a straight line from A to B 🤣.  But after a few flights things started to make more sense.

Forgot to say when Steve B and I went over to our first Eurotour  ummm about 12 ish years ago we were shaking like leaves during the flight!

I didn't range test with the motor connected, didn't think it would/could make a difference but obviously it could, I'll do another then. I get pretty nervous once the motors connected.

Yeah had a few of those 'can't fly straight because I'm shaking so bad' moments too but I can imagine it being 10 times worse at your 1st Eurotour. I was unusually calm on Monday for the maidens, maybe no spectators helped, just a deep breath, throw and flick the switch and away they went. Not having a lot of torque roll probably helped  as my heart rate didn't suddenly double like it would if it have torqued over.

I might be able to get to Barkston Heath if the comp still runs at August BH, I don't usually make plans that far in advance, the wife (PA) does all the organising, I'm just the unpaid help...🤣

Alan Flockhart
30 minutes ago, Feefo said:

I didn't range test with the motor connected, didn't think it would/could make a difference but obviously it could, I'll do another then. I get pretty nervous once the motors connected.

I wouldn't do range tests with the motor battery connected.  Just have the plane as it would be flying (ie wing attached) but no motor battery. Then you are safe to try different orientations.  

Just a thought - How are the aerials located in the fuse?  We have them pretty much parallel with the length of the fuz - one pointing 45 deg forwards and the other 45 deg backwards.  COuld be worth playing with that

50 minutes ago, Alan Flockhart said:

I wouldn't do range tests with the motor battery connected.  Just have the plane as it would be flying (ie wing attached) but no motor battery. Then you are safe to try different orientations.  

Just a thought - How are the aerials located in the fuse?  We have them pretty much parallel with the length of the fuz - one pointing 45 deg forwards and the other 45 deg backwards.  COuld be worth playing with that

Mine is similar, can't remember who, possibly Baldy, but someone posted pics of their rx setup, I pretty much copied it. I'm happy with my last range check so will fly it and see, cheers.

Well 8s is more fun.....😃

No low RSSI warnings, well  I did get 1 but I'd landed so I'm not concerned. 

12 hours ago, Ollie witt said:

Hi Feefo, looks great, for someone not used to F5B, what motor are you using in this setup? 4031 2050kv?

Yes that's the motor, and using a 19x 22 prop

• 3 years later...
Lauri Syrjaniemi

Dear fellow pilots,

I have been exploring flying a Speedfire 2 this autumn. I got mine second hand from Tony.

I am suspecting a servo failure inside the wing, to be precise, of the right aileron servo. The aircraft felt weird at the end of a flight, and upon inspection the servo didn't update it's position. The servo held its position (powered, and resisted force) and didn't follow the stick. It occassionally updated to a new commanded position when force was excerted on the aileron (and only then).

On futher experimenting, having checked all the visible connections and cables were good, the servo started sometimes allowing movement even when powered, and again updates its position with moment excerted on it. I am not sure which servo the wing has inside it, although Chat GPT suggested a Hitec one. I am not sure whether I am imagining, but with two separate batteries, the transmitter alerted of low RX voltage whenever the right aileron servo moved, but not with other servos..

Now, does anyone have similar experience, or think there could be a cabling issue somewhere which would be consistent with the observations? If I need to change the servo, how should I go about it? It would seem that making a hatch with dremel would weaken the wing and I am seeking advice on how to proceed. I have emailed f5b.cz with no answers yet.

Best wishes,

Lauri, Oxford UK