ESC settings

mikef

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

Thanks Mike, very tricky😃

A bit dissapointing though ,I thought you may have a plug in gadget and I love a gadget😃

Oh, there must a gadget out there to do this - I try not to look - I can hardly get into my garage/workshop already there's so much stuff in there.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 16:09, Feefo said:

With Pete saying he finds the YGE esc needs resetting due to misuse, and you saying there's a 'smell', I'm wondering if the motor got damaged and caused the esc malfunction. Hopefully that's not the case and the odour is from something else. 

I've had the motor out and there are no signs of overheating on the motor or gearbox - still looks like new.  No burnt smell at all.

However, the outside of the motor and gearbox had traces of grease on them - it was also evident in the fuselage around the front of the gearbox.  I guess I was seeing fumes from the grease.  I've cleaned it off best I can and I'll keep an eye on it.

6 hours ago, mikef said:

I've had the motor out and there are no signs of overheating on the motor or gearbox - still looks like new.  No burnt smell at all.

However, the outside of the motor and gearbox had traces of grease on them - it was also evident in the fuselage around the front of the gearbox.  I guess I was seeing fumes from the grease.  I've cleaned it off best I can and I'll keep an eye on it.

That's good news there's no obvious damage but I'd question how hot things are getting if you think it's the grease starting to smoke, maybe the grease has a low smoking point? All you can do is keep your eye on it but like I said, smoke coming from a plane means somethings not right to me. If it does it again I'd be tempted to take the GB off and clean and relube. I use Kluber Isoflex NB5051, I don't know what Reisenauer recommend. I read ages ago you don't need much grease in there, they said if there's too much it runs out... so I use a small amount and work it in the gears etc with a cocktail stick. 

• Like 1

Just a thought, have you checked the clearance between the shaft and the exit hole to rule out friction burning? I had a similar problem, it didn't cause burning but did cause the motor to struggle to get going.

• Like 1

That’s is tight, the shaft is 6mm but there is also the collar on the front of the gearbox that takes it to 8 mm. The collar rotates with the shaft so will need clearance.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll check.

2 hours later.....

Checked.  The first 3mm of firewall from the motor have a 9.5mm hole.  The next 2mm had an 8mm hole - now 8.5 drilled plus a little more sanded to make it 8.75 ish.  There was a clearance to the 'collar' gem mentioned but you can see past it clearly now.

(The original 3mm firewall had slightly chewed holes and was sunk into the nose by 2mm.  I stuck a Glass/Epoxy 2mm Hyperflight firewall to the front of it to get better holes.)

l'm getting slick at getting the motor in and out.

• 5 months later...

An update to close off this saga.

The motor has always run hot and I have been a bit lacking in power compared to other models.  I went out a few weeks back and the motor gave up 15 meters into a climb.  It refused to run again and Peter M diagnosed a broken wire.

I sent the motor and ESC (they were wired together) to Neil at Flighttech for diagnosis and possible replacement.  A new motor was needed - the old one was burnt out - there a very strong 'electrical burning smell' about it.  Neil said he knew what it was before he opened the package I sent him.  Later, one of the motor wires fell off.

I had to plug into the ESC programming card to clear an error condition (caused by the burn-out?), not to change any settings.

Returned kit now flown and - Wow!  My climb rate is now 40% improved and the overheating seems to have gone - so it was a sick motor all along.  I bought it in a third hand Shadow 2 airframe that had never been flown.  I even tried two climbs on one battery and both were much better than any climb I'd ever seen on the old motor.

Reprise on the set-up...  YGE 60 v4 esc bec 7.4, 3s 850mAh Tattu Lipo, Tenshock Viper CC 102012T + Reisenauer micro edition gearbox, 13 x 7 Vitaprop (13x8 GM to try next).  1500gm Shadow 2.

Thanks to all who helped.

• Like 1