carbon fin vs balsa weight

tomc

Hi

I keep creasing the fin on my mini dart DLG, mainly cos I cant catch it every time and the field I fly in is very short grass and very hard. I have fixed it a few times but it is now just getting heavier.

If I made a balsa fin, either with our without glass skin and carbon spar, as I can make these very cheaply, anyone got any idea how much heavier it would be compared to a the current carbon foam one? The carbon one is 3grams

Thanks

Tom

For a smaller model like yours, I’m sure it will be fine.  But you are unlikely to make a balsa one as light and strong as a carbon one. 

How's the damage caused? Is it vertical load from the fun hitting the ground or side ways load on the fin?

sideways load from me not getting all the landings smooth and in a straight line. I have a field 1 min walk away I can fly in, so have been getting out at least once a day while the weather is nice to try and up my skills, so my landings are getting better, but I still cant nail it every time.

I think if I made some balsa ones with maybe a carbon sparthen I could almost consider them as expendable until I have improved my landings. O I was wondering about a super thin ply one that might have some flex?

tom

It is important to land as directly in to wind as you can. That is one reason I have a rod with a piece of string attached to my TX. Easy to see wind direction, no need to suck my finger and hold it up 😁.   Landing cross wind is asking for trouble.  Better to land down wind than attempt low turn and end up skidding sideways and breaking the fin. 

yes, I understand the theory, its just putting it into practise that is problem.  I try and have a plan, but if the launch is not as good as I hoped or I have a few stalls the model does not always comply. A bigger field would help, but the one I use is 30 seconds walk from my back door, so its dead easy to watch the wind and pop out just when its super calm.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi

I upgraded to a stream nxt, which I find so much easier to fly, can now catch it at least 50% of the time, and in not catching, the landings are much more controlled.

Thanks

Tom