Double-vision when flying?!

StraightEdge

StraightEdge

On at least two occasions now I've experienced really painful double-vision when flying my Middle Phase in big winds (30mph plus).  It either turns into a pink-and-black P-38 Lightning or a pink-winged biplane!!  This hasn't happened when flying the Ahi closer in in less windy weather.

The first time was a couple of weeks ago flying the west slope off Liddington Castle south of Swindon with the sun in the same part of the sky.  It happened again yesterday afternoon on Uffington White Horse hill with the wind coming right up the bowl from the NW, so not directly into the sun.  This time I'd brought proper workshop goggles as I thought it may have been the pressure of wind on my eyeballs behind my prescription glasses/sunnies, and possibly drying them out, but they made no difference at all.  The only thing I could do once it started was close one eye for a while, then the other, holding the MP out high until the wind had abated enough to come in and round for a safe landing - for this I opened both eyes for proper depth perception!

I then had a rest after my my chum who was also flying and photographing had left and drank my flask of hot tea.  When I briefly went up again the problem did not recur, but it was getting too wild (a period of 40mph gusts) to be safe so I landed and finished the session.

I later recalled that last year, after too long on the computer one afternoon, I'd suddenly experienced wave-like vision in one side of one eye which went on for about ten minutes - making me anxious that it was some kind of mini-stroke?!  Fortunately the doctor on NHS 111 diagnosed an "Ocular Migraine".

When I mentioned all this to another slope-soaring chum, he suggested that on all three occasions I was probably a bit dehydrated.  This makes sense as all three instances were after lunch but before having any late-afternoon tea - digestion uses a lot of the body's available water, denying the brain (of which eyes are a direct external part) sufficient hydration.

Solution then will be to keep well hydrated on the slope... and worry about having multiple wazzes on a busy hillside later!!

Middle Phase Uff'n Jun20.jpeg

I've had something similar to you when on the computer for excessive amounts of time, probably had it when I've been playing games too long too, but never when flying thankfully. I guess if you didn't want to go OTT on fluids you could try some hydration tablets, but the ones I tried a few years ago were pretty awful TBH but they did the job. 

Phil.Taylor

Wavy vision is a classic migraine "aura" - used to get it until I found what triggered it for me - things like some cheeses & cured meats, monosodium glutamate, fluorescent lights, old style computer monitors, stress...

I would be much more worried about the double vision - definitely seek medical advice

Phil.

StraightEdge

Interesting the triggers for Feefo - cured meats, cheese, MSG, stress, lighting, monitors, etc.  I eat a pretty healthy fresh diet  but definitely spend too much time on the laptop!

Interesting also the strong pink colour, which I chose precisely because it was so visible - but maybe focussing hard on the intense pink against a blue/grey/bright sky is a particular optical combination that exacerbates the problem?  Perhaps my next model (which is in fact a Quark 2m) should be a lovely, calming pastel green?!

Nonetheless it will be worth seeking medical or ophthalmic advice.

Cheers

Jon

Phil.Taylor
11 hours ago, StraightEdge said:

I eat a pretty healthy fresh diet  

Thats good

Also - for hydration - avoid anything with aspartame as a sweetener  e.g. Diet Coke etc.

• Like 1

Double vision is certainly not a symptom of an optical migraine and I don't think its a symptom of a 'normal' migraine either.  If you've never had this double vision before and if it happens again I would definitely contact the NHS non-emergency number and ask their advice. Double vision can be symptomatic of some pretty bad problems!

• Like 2

StraightEdge

Thanks for the concern folks - I will of course seek medical advice. 😷

The curious thing however is that I've never experienced any form of double-vision EXCEPT when flying the MIDDLE-PHASE in high-wind conditions !

Not when flying other slope-soarers, nor when flying thermal or RC power, not when hill-walking, not when driving by day or night, nor when sailing coastal or offshore.

Maybe its just an unusually acute combination of some/all of these factors at the same time:   eye-stress/dryness due to pressure of wind, general dehydration,  extreme concentration at limit of normal vision, particular chromatic contrast of shocking pink with sky, middle-age, etc?

If it is an outlier of something more serious, I'll just have to eventually retreat to indoor free-flight stuff !!  😉

isoaritfirst

Very easy to become dehydrated on a windy slope. 
very occasionally I get tunnel vision in one eye or the opposite effect  where as soon as I look directly towards an object it disappears. 
All migraine relate. Although more typical is the water running down a pain of glass. 
If it’s only when watching the model fly past, and not when you look away at the distance etc then it may just be you are staring too much, Are you nervous when flying the model in big winds and just trying to hard to see every detail 

thinking about it I have actually had double vision as well when looking at a model In the distance, being able to see what looks like a biplane when it shouldn’t.  
Although not this year and I wouldn’t describe it as painful. 
I also find my fluorescent red Shinto more uncomfortable to fly than my previous yellow one. 

I hope you can sort the eyes out easily Straightedge.

This one was taken by Damien in France. He showed my the picture about ten seconds after it was taken so there has been no editing!

double Schwiezer.jpg

StraightEdge

Thanks Wookman.

That photo must have been a very fast double-exposure on his camera or similar.  But it perfectly illustrates how painful it is on the eyes as the brain tries to automatically mentally resolve the model back into a single object!  Trying to control a live model constantly looking like that really hurts.

StraightEdge

I can actually see two of you, four Schweitzers, multiple landscapes...! 😄

Actually, aside from the physical - if not philosophical - impossibilities, its a very atmospheric photo.

• Haha 1

The picture was taken on the south easterly slope at the Menez Hom in Brittany during the 4m meeting a few years ago. Fantastic place to fly. 

StraightEdge

Just looked up Menez Hom - looks amazing.

Given me an idea for later in the summer.... car, tent, ferry, models...! 👍