Double-vision when flying?!

StraightEdge

That’s Eric Poulin doing his thing. Damn he’s good. Flying in a WNW at the Menez. If you like his style check out Joel Metz. They both also fly big Air 100s to great affect. 

• 1 month later...
StraightEdge

Thanks for the input Wavecloud.  Interesting about the purple/red tints - especially as I've speculated that part of the problem might be the shocking pink colour of my Middle Phase against a predominantly blue/grey sky... an uncomfortable 'chromatic' contrast?

I've certainly been more aware of the need to keep better hydrated of late (especially after meals) and haven't had any further recurrence - flying either thermal or smaller slope models closer in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be alarmed...

I have had visual migraines most of my life fortunately not regularly. I have never established cause and effect although I am convinced dehydration plays a part. Walking into bright strip lights e.g. supermarket is my most common cause.  Visual migraines are not double vision. It's like looking in an art deco mirrored picture frame which gradually expands until it moves out of the field of vision. The medical profession assure me it is not cause for concern and they do not know the cause either.

After many years flying I started seeing my glider as a biplane, as described above. I mentioned it to my optometrist at a routine eye test. (I wear glasses only for reading). He told me it was common when astigmatism was the root cause of eye sight needing correction. He prescribed corrective glasses for distance, which I had made up as sunglasses: perfect, and what a relief no serious issue.

I hope describing my personal experience will help you.

John

• Like 1

StraightEdge

ThanksJohn, really appreciate this.  I think I have a very slight astigmatism in one eye - use both reading glasses and distance glasses, neither are significant issues but the glasses help normalise everything.  I'm sure that hydration is an issue generally - best to keep fluid intake up!

Jon

• 2 months later...

I'd never heard of a visual migraine until a few years ago. I thought I was going blind or something more serious.

My vision goes patchy, really difficult to describe. My eyes are generally very light sensitive, which is why I always wear shades outdoors regardless of the weather.

Tiredness and stress are contributing factors but at the moment I only get them indoors.  My trigger is going from dark to light, made much worse by artificial lighting and VDU usage.

Hoping I don't get them outside!

6 hours ago, Wavecloud said:

I used a red lens couple of days ago at White Horse Hill and it was amazing. Its an Oakley Prizm Rose lens. I'll be using it again tomorrow at WHH as the forecast is perfect with NW-NNW'ly F3-F4 with sun! 

Interesting to hear that - and yes a brilliant weekend for WHH, unfortunately I'm wrapped up elsewhere and can't be flying else I'd join you!

Message me next time you're going up and I'd be happy to come along.

Jon