Who Built this Bird of Time?

Cliff Harvey

Cliff Harvey

Hi Guys, I've just bought this beautiful Bird of Time, the second owner told me the previous owner built her in the seventies. I'm wondering if anyone recognises the model, it has a BARCS sticker on the fin and is in pretty good order for a model that is potentially 41+ years old.

It would be nice to put a name and age to the model?

20200607_141505.jpg

• Like 1

pete beadle

Hi Cliff

Didn't the second owner know who the original builder/owner was? or where either previous owner lived?

Intriguing colour scheme

No numbers anywhere? or an "If found please return to" sticker?

I'd bet big money that the covering on it now is a re-cover.....it looks much too fresh to be the original layer 

I can confirm that it isn't one of mine though.....I built my number one, and I bought number two off Ray Gadenne…...both fly superbly, exactly as they should:thumbsup:

Good luck with the search though...

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Cliff Harvey

Thanks Pete for the idea. I removed the top cover and, guess what, two(!) previous owners, one offers a reward that is M. Terry, with a Reading phone number (which is discontinued) and the other name, unfortunately obliterated under red felt tip.

As for the original finish I can't see any other colour fragments anywhere on the plane. Where the fuselage is painted around the hatch etc the black is rubbed off from use with no other colours present, so you never know.

The chap I bought her from said the previous owner had gone into a dementia home so who knows?

So at least two previous owners to the chap I bought her off.

PS The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

pete beadle

Hi Cliff

Bre-the, breathe in the air...…….When I get home cold and tired....I love to warm my feet beside the f-i-re! 

Only thing I can suggest is to wait a while, you never know they might have a communal PC in the ex BOT Flyers MFC ward:yes::popcorn:

I like the black colour scheme BTW:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Cliff Harvey

Thanks Pete, I'm sure someone reading this who isn't a Floyd fan would think we're mad lol

pete beadle

Hi Jef

Just a quick thought....although thousands of BOT kits, and plans were sold, there weren't all that many guys flying in comps with them......also, the Southern and Midlands leagues seemed to have the bulk of the few that did compete....so, how about you appointing yourself Head Researcher, tasked to find who you knew of, or met using a BOT in a comp in the Southern League while I'll try the Midlands league - BTW I'm trying the comp flyers first because there are literally hundreds of BOT's in sheds or lofts owned by people who built them because they just liked the wing shape or even the name!

One thing I seem to remember though, back in the day when the "Soarer" was the BARCS bible, the editor(s) always published the name/type of the plane flown by the pilots featured in the comp results......should be a good use of a rainy day or two, scanning old Soarers,  until the lockdown is officially removed

Hi Cliff.....serves them right if they don't understand why the Floyd were so relevant to us "lifetime soarers".....mind you, the quote(s) must be relevant like Jef's….and mine, and now, of course, wookman's and yours too....:)

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702