Jeti radio

Ian F3F

I'm looking to give up on Multiplex and jump to Jeti9 radio for my F3F models.

The Jeti 12 seems a good option and very popular but what are the software update options and Do I need them?

thanks

Ian

You only need a couple of module upgrades depending on the models you intend to use it for.

8 Channels is plenty for standard models so I didn't see the need to increase.

I use the Flight Modes extension  from 3 to 6. 3 flight modes is fine but I have separate modes for Landing and Thermal and a couple of different flight modes.

I think they have increased the number of Free Mixes  the TX is supplied with. I use 4 for a F3F setup.  Ailerons to Flaps for inboard ailerons, Elevator to Flaps and Elevator to Ailerons for Snapflap and Ailerons to Rudder for CAR. 

I also have the Servo Balancer and Logical Switches options but have yet to use  them.

Most of the rest is nice but not necessary and you can upgrade later.

Mark 

Unfortunately not.

Breeze never did fill in enough. 

Had a lot of fun thermal hopping with the F3F model though

Mark

I would get the servo balancer as it allows you to account for variations in mechanical travel, in particular on that flaps.

I would also get the voice output if its not standard.  Announcements when you change flight mode and for telemetry (i.e battery voltage) are very useful.

It comes with voice announcements that cover Flight modes - Thermal, Landing, Speed, Launch and quite a lot of other stuff as well.

Servo balancer is a good feature, I just haven't used it yet

It’s also worth noting, that the ds12 has only one transceiver, and 2 antennas. The 14(when unlocked) 16 and 24, all has dual transceivers, and 4 antennas.The 12 does have a 900 backup,and so does the 24. Strangely, the  ds12  900 receivers are not compatible with the 24, or vice versa. That requires you to have an extra receiver, not enough room in an f3f model, for 2 of them, that’s for sure. It’s all top quality gear though, whatever you choose. 

The dual 2.4ghz rf only works in dual path mode. I.e two rxs. My dc16 has it and I've never used it once. 

There is no advantage in it for f3f as it's extremely unlikely you will be using two rxs. 

That is true, but in default mode with one receiver in the model, I’ve read that the dual transceivers “chatter” independently to the 2 receiver antennas. 
It would be good to have a definitive answer on this, if only out of interest! 

Used the Jeti DS12 setup in several planes and it has always been rock solid,

Bought it to replace a Taranis after a few incidents in F3F planes and never had a single issue with it.  Planes are definitely quieter and I have been able to use some JR servos that I had to take out due to excessive chatter with the Taranis.

Used to get regular low signal warnings with the Taranis and never had it once with the DS12 in the same airframes.

• Like 1

As I’ve said in my previous post, it’s top quality gear, and is rock solid, whatever transmitter you buy. I’m a Jeti user myself. Just highlighting the difference in the transmitters in operation. 🙂

13 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

That is true, but in default mode with one receiver in the model, I’ve read that the dual transceivers “chatter” independently to the 2 receiver antennas. 
It would be good to have a definitive answer on this, if only out of interest! 

That's not my understanding.

You best read this then. This information was put on here by Bernie, I believe, a while ago. I think that explains it. 350F1378-E40B-48EB-A3E8-FB61C357EF40.thumb.jpeg.269edb1119dcbf5c665ade2858a3a93a.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mikeb52 said:

You best read this then. This information was put on here by Bernie, I believe, a while ago. I think that explains it. 350F1378-E40B-48EB-A3E8-FB61C357EF40.thumb.jpeg.269edb1119dcbf5c665ade2858a3a93a.jpeg

Might be worth asking Jeti.

Well, if all else fails, they say read the manual! It clearly states what Bernie has said  in his original post. 
Anyway, the thread was about Ian buying Jeti, and having an informed choice. It’s worth noting that you can’t use the Jeti harness hangers on the ds12, as it has a plastic case, but if people like using the central eye on the front face, it’s not a problem. I’ve seen the tray that Mark Passingham has made for his, and it’s beautifully made, but some of us might not have his hand making skills. 

933D7EB2-D8A8-4AA9-B5AE-558257CFA215.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Marc RC pilot
On 08/06/2020 at 10:06, Ian F3F said:

I'm looking to give up on Multiplex and jump to Jeti9 radio for my F3F models.

The Jeti 12 seems a good option and very popular but what are the software update options and Do I need them?

thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, did you go down the DS12 route in the end/get any upgrades for it? 

I've had my eye on the Jeti gear for some time now (mainly in dreamland...A yellow one please) as they look so solid (case, components, telemetry etc) functional and cool/professional with what seems like good simple user interface software. I am going back to full-time work next week (Yippee! It's been a tough couple of years/part-time) and something like the DS12 is now becoming a possibility in reality-land in the near future :)

My only concerns are the DS12's plastic case (good quality?) and if there where any hardware missing that you only get with the DS14/16  if it makes any a difference in our game (touched upon in this thread).

I would defo need to see and feel one in the flesh and do some more research.  

They do like there upgrades options that's for sure:

415004405_Screenshot2021-03-02031804.thumb.jpg.1b4222fdefc36b5565fbdfb6218b387d.jpg

Jeti DS12 RCGroups Overview - YouTube

Jeti Duplex DS-12 Radio Review - RC Groups

The upgrades required will depend on the level of complexity in the the program that you are using for each plane.

Upgrades can be purchased individually rather than as part of a package.

I fly F3F planes with 6 servos - V-tails, Ailerons and Flaps. The only upgrades I have needed are additional Flight Modes and Free Mixes. My planes have all the functions I need - full span flaps, snapflaps, coupled rudder, crow, different flight modes including separate landing mode, inflight mixing rates for snapflaps and crow compensation, etc.

For my aerobatic models everything I need is included in the basic package.

Hope this helps

Mark

Hi Marc

I have recently received my Jeti.  The box feels nice, I've not been up as early as your post to fondle it.  I've tinkered around with a few bits but not set it up on a model yet, as they are nicely set up on Multiplex already I've been hesitant.  Could be my hope but the servos do seem to be that bit faster.

Ian

• Like 1