2nd 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 2nd 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2020

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

Stella conditions first thing this morning - pretty much perfect for thermal flight.     Replaced the rudder hinge, spring and got rid of the remaining significant wing warp.    CG at 77mm.

Have to say I am hugely impressed with the performance of these models.      My DLG never even got put together!

• Was not expecting to be able to pick up lift so low - like a DLG
  • the model will core extremely tightly if needed.
  • penetration is surprisingly good and the model has a good speed envelope.
  • only negatives would be naturally unresponsive controls from rudder only.    The model won't climb as quick as a DLG  - you need to be patient and work what you have :)

First launch I was in the wrong flight mode so pinged off the high start at 40 meters (no longer veering left so work on wing a success).    Came down low but managed to pick up some low level lift around 5 meters which put a big grin on my face.   The model signalled the lift very nicely and enabled me to recenter as needed.    Had another low save mid flight but then climbed out in smooth lift.       Never really specced out as the lift wasn't booming.     Came down for 31:02.

flight1.thumb.JPG.d2a4b714d81f13084634753159180f33.JPG

Second launch was better.   Fairly uneventful but  had to be patient working the lift before I could get above 100meters.   Once over 300meters, I  was able to test out the spoilers for quick descending.    Worked well,  although need more practice before I feel confident flying these models at any great height.      Work beckoned so had to cut the flight short at 30 minutes.      Conditions were good enough for 1 hour +

flight2.thumb.JPG.e8dc9e2633061f23545a078017e8d92a.JPG

If these traces are boring/distracting,  happy to omit them from future postings.    All my models are fitted with GXR6 with in built altimeter,   I use them to check launch height and post-flight analysis only.        

David | 15th June |  31:02

• Like 3

StraightEdge

Fantastic result with your X-RES David.  Not surprised in the slightest, as I was also out this morning  in the same superb conditions.  Not with the PuRES (I haven't finished re-covering it yet) but with a friend who was letting my fly his 3.7m Pike off the bungee.

Jon

PS - I, for one, find the graphs of logged altitude data interesting to read alongside the narrative.

Very impressive David.

That's an amazing start for the 2nd round. Looks like the best weather for a few days as well.

image.thumb.png.48bcf381b023f10b012d895ef648b449.png

PS - I like the charts...

working the late shift again so was fortunate to get out again for a few hours this morning.    Slightly breezier but good lift up high - lots of white fluffy clouds today and good visibility.

These RES models are easier to fly than DLG,   given the inherent stability from dihedral,  they pretty much fly themselves in lift.       A relaxing few hours of bliss.

a couple of 30 minute flights again,   I picked up some sketchy low down lift at end of first flight,   but lost orientation of the model and dropped out of the lift.     Came down for 32:38 which is a slight improvement.

flight3.thumb.JPG.88ef2285b3dc69ebd78e237bd5c98b87.JPG

Will be next week at the earliest before out again.    

David | 16th June | 32:38

• Like 2

StraightEdge

Well done again.  Yes they are a good deal less stressful to fly - gives one time to (learn to) read the air etc - and you've just proved they can cope with slightly breezier conditions!

Another cracking score David. Well done. I have got builders in the house at the moment which is preventing me from flying, hopefully complete next week, weather permitting.

Updated table..

image.thumb.png.455c7a6d66997f4815635bd1e368bc63.png

Awesome flights David! Phil will be pleased to hear the XRES goes so well.

On Monday I was engaged in full on Midge Warfare at Stanage Edge. Too hot to climb hard - should have been flying!

spacer.png

• Like 1

StraightEdge

Jon, when you've recovered from midge-warfare, you'll need to get back to base for next week's settled weather...  there's a new insect in town! 🐝

Leo's old PuRES, de-warped, re-covered in Oralight and push-rods/snakes replaced with pull-strings, weight down to 422g.

Does anyone use ballast for slightly breezier conditions?

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

• Like 1

looks great Jon - nice job!      Not sure about ballast,   you can add a bit of nose weight to move the CG forward.    Think i'll fly DLG when gets too windy as these RES models are best in light winds.

Up front in yours looks identical to mine.   Same servos and RX.   I am running antenna of GRX6 inside the fuse  (90 degrees to each other),  had no RSSI warnings up to 500 meters.  No carbon to cause any issues :) 

StraightEdge

Cheers David.

Next week my aim is to get the Auri finished and airborne, but in the meantime it might be interesting to make a simple balsa 'pocket' around the CG point to accept up to 40g of standard Fe weights just to see how this effects the PuRES.

I'm just using a standard RX6R, to which I've plugged in a FrSky low-accuracy vario as I had one going begging and there's plenty enough room in the forward bay for all this plus a 750mAh 1s.

Reckoned there's nothing serious to lose in terms of drag by running the two whiskers well outside opposite one another... nothing that will be noticeable at my current skill level that is !!

On my new Mad Hatter 2, I use a 6mm cf joiner which I can replace with a steel joiner up to 600mm long. 

That is my ballast system. Bang on the cg as well

• 2 weeks later...

Well done to David,   

Builders have just about finished here so I may be allowed to fly.. :)

League table updated. and 3rd Challenge posting is ready for some flights.