Longshot 4 Build question

GisserD

Hello all!

im hoping some of you more knowledgable chaps might be able to help me out with my longshot build. In particular the orientation of the Rudder.

The instructions clearly state that the controll horn should go on the opposite side to the peg. Im right handed so the peg is in the left wing, therefore the rudder horn should go on the right? Right??

however, the rudder on the longshot has a "side facing airfoil for launching" and after discussions with the good guys at hyperflight, they tell me this should be orientated with the flat side of the foil away from you. this was confirmed by the website of the gui who apparently invented this idea...http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supergee/SuperGeeI.htm

so far so good.

but where i get stuck is that with the rudder in this orientation the hinge is on the RHS skin, which meand she spring would be pulling the rudder towards the controll horn.

which element of this setup do i have wrong?

ive attached a sketch to aid the ilustration of my problem.

Thanks in advance.

GD

image.png

I think the problem might be, wasn’t the LS originally designed for pushrods? So it wouldn’t really matter what side the hinge gap was?. 

You might have to make up your own balsa vert or source a glass or carbon vert from somewhere (the snipe vert would work) to have the hinge gap on the correct side to work with springs.

16 minutes ago, Mark Evans said:

I think the problem might be, wasn’t the LS originally designed for pushrods? So it wouldn’t really matter what side the hinge gap was?. 

You might have to make up your own balsa vert or source a glass or carbon vert from somewhere (the snipe vert would work) to have the hinge gap on the correct side to work with springs.

Thankyou for your reply. id probably just use a push rod if that turns out to be the case.

9 minutes ago, mikef said:

Why can't you set up the spring to close the gap?

I diddnt realise you could do that!! this might be the solution im after...

so i guess i would have to pretension the spring on install? sounds tricky

It wouldn't be as easy as opening the gap and plugging in the spring  to close it, but it should work.  I'll go and try it......

• Thanks 1

It works.  I had a old Richard Swindells Bonus fin/rudder I replaced yesterday.  Just wound the spring up the other way.  Make sure there’s enough gap for the spring in the hinge so it can fully close the gap.

• Like 1

Thanks Mike! I'll give it a go tomorrow when the glue is dry. 

Any advice for putting the spring in without piercing the skin? Its a very thin rudder