Sign in to follow this  
MAZ

Glued in wing joiner.

MAZ

How do you get a broken carbon wing joiner out that’s been glued in

. TIA. MAZ.

oipigface

Any idea what glue was used? Epoxy can be softened with the careful application of heat. Cyano debonder will sometimes work. If all else fails, get your drill out.

MAZ
37 minutes ago, oipigface said:

Any idea what glue was used? Epoxy can be softened with the careful application of heat. Cyano debonder will sometimes work. If all else fails, get your drill out.

I’ve tried drilling into the joiner and adding a long bolt, then heating it up but to no evail. Looks like a long drilling session if all else fails. 👍

satinet

A photo would help. 

• Like 1

isoaritfirst

Are you sure it’s glued?

• Like 1

oipigface
3 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Are you sure it’s glued?

Good question, Mike. Reminds me of my own joiner struggle with the Forest Extreme. Seemed like it was glued, but I knew it wasn’t!

MAZ
8 hours ago, isoaritfirst said:

Are you sure it’s glued?

Well... it’s a Dragon and never known them to be a tight fit. Have just received a new pair of joiners from Valenta and these are a slide in and out fit. 👍

MAZ
19 hours ago, satinet said:

A photo would help. 

4117D7EC-F390-4DED-8142-AA1775D011B2.jpeg

satinet

Key word here is broken. I crashed a model and snapped the joiner. In that case the wing was completely written off but it was impossible to get the remnants of the joiner out. Guess the crash really rammed it in. And i guess the carbon splits and expands.

Can you drill a hole and glue something in to pull it out e.g a clamp used as a spreader. By that i mean something with a thread that won't pull out easily.

MAZ
1 hour ago, satinet said:

Key word here is broken. I crashed a model and snapped the joiner. In that case the wing was completely written off but it was impossible to get the remnants of the joiner out. Guess the crash really rammed it in. And i guess the carbon splits and expands.

Can you drill a hole and glue something in to pull it out e.g a clamp used as a spreader. By that i mean something with a thread that won't pull out easily.

Both joiners got broken, this pic is how far Ive  got, initially, it stuck out half an inch, I drilled and inserted a large screw, then heated it up to soften the glue and then with some grips attempted to pull it out to no avail. So drilled a couple of holes the depth of the joiner and managed to pull out most but now need a small chisel to clean the inner sides of the joiner box. Oh joy. 👍

D69CAC21-A12A-4357-94FD-AD2A74E731A1.jpeg

isoaritfirst

Drill it as far as you can, glue in a long shaft. Clamp  in the vice and tap the wing with something suitable.

domt put anything in that might spread the joiner more  such as a screw  

tapping us likely to be more effective than pulling. 

• Like 2

MAZ
39 minutes ago, isoaritfirst said:

Drill it as far as you can, glue in a long shaft. Clamp  in the vice and tap the wing with something suitable.

domt put anything in that might spread the joiner more  such as a screw  

tapping us likely to be more effective than pulling. 

I will give it a go. 👍

• Like 1