FrSky Antenna issue

John H

I recently had an incident where my F5J glider was low on range.  I traced this to the antenna on a FrSky X4R receiver coming unplugged.  The antenna, like many other manufactures, are connected to the pcb by miniature plugs.

The plugs have a dob of glue, supposedly to hold them in place.  In my case the glue was only on the rear of the plugs so they could hinge upwards from the front. 

To prevent a reoccurrence, I have 3D printed a case that prevents the plugs lifting.  See attached pictures.  Please contact me if you would like the STL files to print one.

For safety save I suggest that anyone with a receiver that has this type of antenna connection checks it regularly, and ideally, implements a physical arrangement to prevent them coming unplugged.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John, just seen your post. I had a similar issue with a FrSky X8R rx when I had managed to pull both aerials off the connections without realising. I had secured the pcb ends of both aerials with tape.  I flew the model and got the low signal warning and made a safe landing. I then found the aerials disconnected!

If your file will be any good for the size of the X8R I would like a copy, please.  I know a couple of people with printers.

I had 1 antenna come off the rx, found the problem when range testing. TBH I'm a little disappointed with how weak the fitting is, the older, larger fittings seemed more secure IMO. I used hot glue on a new rx, just a little blob around the base of each antenna where it goes in the cardboard rx case and it seems to have worked fine. I will probably do this to all rx's now, usually I'm limited on space to use 3d printed rx cases  but neat idea if you have the space