SF Nats cancelled

Nick Jackson

• Committee Member
Nick Jackson

SF Nats 2020 have been cancelled because of the pandemic.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Bit annoying to see Nats cancelled, when there is advertised a 3 day heli event with camping and full facilities weekend before. 
at Buckminster .

• Like 2

• Committee Member
PeteMitchell

I agree, but it's only a fly in, not a comp. and probably the center is not closed to other members while its on.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with wixy....the SF Nats was cancelled way too early. 

And fly in's potential pose more risks being uncontrolled with public wandering in and out at will........

Covid is going to be around for a long time so we need to get our heads around how we adjust (like we are doing in business) minimise the risks and start to compete safely going forward.

National championships and world cup events have, and are being run successfully all round Europe....so whats the plan for UK leagues and championships to start again?

• Like 2

Baldyslapnut

Interesting Steve. What National Champs and WC events are being run.  All of my F5B Euro Tour Events have been cancelled so far. The Belgians are running an event in early September but only the Dutch have entered.  Everyone else in Europe would have to quarantine.

I see a number of GPS Triangle events being run across Germany, France and Switzerland.

We have run two non BMFA F5B events so far this year.  I think Barcs are stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I would suggest if people want to run comps for F5J,F3F, F5B etc they should do so.  The F3F on Sunday had very defined processes for social distancing and controlling the contact with buzzers etc.

Barcs has pushed the BMFA  hard over the last 6 weeks for clarity of  what is achievable. Nick has been in regular contact with the BMFA with little feedback.

The Nats was cancelled by the SFTC  without a majority decision. It was announced almost as a fait accompli. I suppose the more  your are in an at risk group the more conservative your thinking.  The more senior members of the SFTC both in rank and age decided it was a none starter.

Regards

Greg

... and one could add that the Welsh Open F3F is going ahead in a couple of weeks time (dv) with participants from Spain and Switzerland as well as GB.

Greg - thanks for responding and I agree with your comments.

In F5J I am aware that Norway and Finland have already held their national champs and the Samba cup was successful hosted last weekend as a World Cup  event with more than 120 pilots from all round Europe attending. We are regularly seeing reports now of domestic contests being held across Europe in many disciplines.

I completely understand both the legalities and responsibility that any organisation has regarding the safety of associated members attending organised events however,  at the end of the day,  given it’s a hobby,  the ultimate responsibility has to be with the individual to decide wether or not they feel comfortable attending  and  if so,  taking responsibility to  minimisIng their own personal risks.

There are now UK domestic  F5J comps being successful held with the relevant Covid precautions in place and it would be useful if we could get a statement from the SFTC as to the short to medium term plans to reintroduce regulated BMFA events.

thanks

Steve

• Like 1

SF NATS is BMFA/SFTC organised = wall of silence.

We have year old stories on the home page, a sure sign of inactivity. 

It's nearly winter, this year is lost sadly.

Baldyslapnut

Hi Steve,

I  may have not be in agreement with the decision to cancel the SF Nats when Mike  made the announcement. I would have preferred to have waited.

In Nick and Mike's defense they are on a daily basis pushing the BMFA for a response. So far there has been no advice given. Nick has sent method statements from other National Governing bodies as examples.

As a member of the SFTC I am saddened by the lack of response.  

If we look at the definition of short and medium term. Short term being to the end of this season. I suggest we run events under the current  government guidelines. We  should run events in chosen classes using the method we have always done. So  if people want to run a F5J/F3F/F5B etc. get on with  it and  advertise here  and any other social media forum used by  the pilots. Just remember you will need a method statement to show how you are protecting the gathering  from and transmission risks.

Medium term being planning for next year . Nick and other members of the SFTC will continue to push for guidance and a statement on how we can plan.  Perhaps the lack of communication on this forum or else where has made people think nothing is happening.  To  improve this Nick and I will post up dates  on a regular basis on what we are doing.

John T looking  at the Welsh Open entry list the vast majority of pilots are from the UK. As the UK 's infection rate continues to rise close to 20/100,000 quarantine rules may be enforced on  Spanish and Swiss pilots returning home after the event.

Also do the Spanish pilots not have to self isolate on arrival to the UK.  I believe Switzerland is close  to being placed on the UK's no travel guidance. May be this Friday.

Regards

Greg

• Like 1

Alex Maxfield

I can't comment on the decision to fly the SF Nats or not but I'm a regular visitor to Buckminster site and witnessed quite a few competitions involving 20+ people. I also talk frequently to one of the F3A aerobatic guys who reports his competitions going ahead. There have been several recent events at Buckminster with 20+ people and I've seen a good many people camping.

I looked at the Buckminster centre calendar and it looks like venue ids free for 9/10 October if anyone is willing to take the risk on the weather!

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Good to see you comment about this.

What event would you run and would it be over 2 days? So proposed clases and would it just be a comp. Or a Barcs Comp?

Buckminster costs £150 to £250 per day  to hire. It may be more Pete Alan would know better than I do. The bMFA swallow the cost of Buckminster as part of running the Nationals. yes they get the entry fees. They probably run at a loss.

Your thoughts are really welcome. 

Regards

Greg

Alex Maxfield

It’s my home site so I’d happily welcome you all here, with a few ifs and buts.

if we could book the site, and if we could get a financially viable number of entrants, and if the weather was kind enough I’d run a “friendly” like we’ve run recently in the “north”. A relaxed pace to F5J rules. Of course I’d get some good prizes to make sure people competed.

• Like 2

Alex - suggest you start a new thread to gauge interest as the entries will dictate whether its going to be financially viable at Buckminster.

And maybe the BMFA could consider relaxing the daily hire fee for an 'end of year' smaller entry event.

Alex Maxfield

Hi Steve, I will approach Manny and see if such a slot is available and if there is an opportunity in the next month I’ll start a new thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1