Yorkshire Wolds soaring ?

pwlthomas

pwlthomas

Hi 

Back in the day I used to fly a Cambria Models Slingsby Capstan  from various hills/slopes in the Yorkshire Wolds north of Pocklington and Market Weighton. 

40 years later, I still have the glider in the attic and I was thinking of restoring it to flying condition or, probably more sensibly, buy a more modern  design.  (Goes without saying I would also need to join a club and restore my flying skills!)

I've searched high and low and can't find any reference to flying RC slope soarers in this part of the world, as such, I'm wondering why not?   

Does everyone now prefer to travel to the bigger club sites where the conditions are more guaranteed, or does legislation now  only permit flying from recognised sites? 

Thanks in advance...

Peter

satinet

Hi Peter

I know a guy who lived in pock who got in on a group order of f3f models. Also named Peter. Think they used to fly near Kilnwick percey but the land owner wasn't disposed to it. 

I used to live between pock and MW in Shiptonthorpe. But this was before I got in to flying.  Obviously the wolds are quite hilly but I wasn't on the look out for slopes back then. 

I can try and get in touch with the other Peter if you like. See what he says. 

You can fly from unrecognised sites still.  Obviously within the bounds of the relevant laws. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SilentPilot

There's a group that fly at the Knavesmire (York Racecourse).

I do mean to have a wander over sometime. I fly full size gliders from Rufforth and have quite a few RC planes and gliders in my caravan there.
It's not really that far to bung a couple in the car and have a drive over on a scrub day :) 

pete beadle

Hi Peter

Welcome to the BARCS forum

If I were you I'd leave the Capstan where it is, and get hold of  a more modern ARTF trainer/ near scale/ basic aerobatic model with a gyro in...I assume you are on 2.4(?) ….include  two sets of interchangeable wings, held on with  bands, one for flat field operation t'other with less dihedral, shorter span, and ailerons, and you'll maximise your flying time

I remember a chap who flew a Capstan at Ivinghoe many years ago, I complimented him on his aerobatics, he said "I didn't INTEND to do half of those!":)

Best of luck

Pete

BARCS1702

• Thanks 1
pwlthomas

Thank you for all the advice all. 

I agree it makes sense to start from scratch with a modern design and I like the sound of an interchangeable wing.  Something must be a compromise I guess but at my level, I doubt it is significant. 

I'm still amazed/disappointed there aren't any slopes in the Yorkshire Wolds that aren't popular anymore.  The people I knew from Beverley (where I grew up) were more than happy up there. 

I actually live very close to Rufforth and also flew full size gliders from there for several years, several decades ago.  

Regards to all.

Pete

SilentPilot

I might have met you! Been going for over 30 years!

Sutton Bank, Dishforth, then settling down at Rufforth circa 1990 :) 

• Like 1
pwlthomas

That would be very possible  🙂 

I flew at Rufforth from 1992 to just before 2000, then switched to power at Sherburn. 

Before that I was at Pocklington, taking advantage of the "great slopes" of the Yorkshire Wolds! 😉 

It all began on Beverley Westwood "back in the day", flying RC models as a kid. 

The flying  came to an end once the children arrived, now they have left home, it's time to start again! 

Regards to all

Pete

• Like 3
  • 7 months later...
Hexaflexagon

Hello Peter,

This post brought back many memories. I too cut my teeth on slope soaring with a Capstan in the early 80s, and co-incidentally mine too is still in the attic. 
I used to fly it from the slopes around Whaley Bridge on the edge of the Peak District. In those days I don't actually remember a lot of organised clubs although no doubt there were, I just liked turning up at a slope and throwing the thing off the top, so I'll be interested to know what the 'score' is with this. Is it frowned upon?

Oddly enough mention of Pocklington brought back even more happy memories. I used to belong to the gliding club (full scale!) at the airfield in the early 70s - BM (Before Marriage).

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

f3fman
48 minutes ago, Hexaflexagon said:

Hello Peter,

This post brought back many memories. I too cut my teeth on slope soaring with a Capstan in the early 80s, and co-incidentally mine too is still in the attic. 
I used to fly it from the slopes around Whaley Bridge on the edge of the Peak District. In those days I don't actually remember a lot of organised clubs although no doubt there were, I just liked turning up at a slope and throwing the thing off the top, so I'll be interested to know what the 'score' is with this. Is it frowned upon?

Oddly enough mention of Pocklington brought back even more happy memories. I used to belong to the gliding club (full scale!) at the airfield in the early 70s - BM (Before Marriage).

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Talking of reminiscing ......... you mention Whaley Bridge, we used to meet at Whaley Bridge railway station car park for F3F competitions in the early days of F3F and then drive in convoy to whichever slope was to be used for the day.   I remember one occasion where I was last to turn right out of the car park, didn't know where we were actually headed for, and got held up by traffic lights, and therefore lost contact with the convoy !!  Anyway, I drove a bit then rather randomly turned left and then came to a T junction to find I had inadvertently taken a short cut and watched the convoy going past the junction and was able to join back on the end !!    This was in the days certainly before I had a mobile phone and was otherwise faced with a long journey back to Wiltshire without having flown.    Happy ending luckily 🙂   .. and I vowed to also find on a map exactly where we were headed !

oipigface

I don't know of any good slopes in the Wolds. I was secretary of the Hull club (now called Beverley and District) for 3-4 years in the late 80's/ early 90's and no one ever suggested that there might be flyable slopes any closer than the moors. In fact, we used to organise a biannual outing together to go slope soaring. We'd set off individually, drive 70 miles to meet at that big pub by the roundabout in Pickering - Forest and Vale is it? - discuss where to go next, and then go there. Blakey Ridge, Levisham, Hole of Horcum, and even that big slope that overlooks the Tees valley whose name I've forgotten. 

We'd always have informal comps of some sorts. Cross-country, loops and landings, that sort of thing. 

There are several places on the coast that work in easterlies.

That's enough of the old git stuff.

• Like 1