pwlthomas

Yorkshire Wolds soaring ?

pwlthomas

Hi 

Back in the day I used to fly a Cambria Models Slingsby Capstan  from various hills/slopes in the Yorkshire Wolds north of Pocklington and Market Weighton. 

40 years later, I still have the glider in the attic and I was thinking of restoring it to flying condition or, probably more sensibly, buy a more modern  design.  (Goes without saying I would also need to join a club and restore my flying skills!)

I've searched high and low and can't find any reference to flying RC slope soarers in this part of the world, as such, I'm wondering why not?   

Does everyone now prefer to travel to the bigger club sites where the conditions are more guaranteed, or does legislation now  only permit flying from recognised sites? 

Thanks in advance...

Peter

satinet

Hi Peter

I know a guy who lived in pock who got in on a group order of f3f models. Also named Peter. Think they used to fly near Kilnwick percey but the land owner wasn't disposed to it. 

I used to live between pock and MW in Shiptonthorpe. But this was before I got in to flying.  Obviously the wolds are quite hilly but I wasn't on the look out for slopes back then. 

I can try and get in touch with the other Peter if you like. See what he says. 

You can fly from unrecognised sites still.  Obviously within the bounds of the relevant laws. 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SilentPilot

There's a group that fly at the Knavesmire (York Racecourse).

I do mean to have a wander over sometime. I fly full size gliders from Rufforth and have quite a few RC planes and gliders in my caravan there.
It's not really that far to bung a couple in the car and have a drive over on a scrub day :) 

pete beadle

Hi Peter

Welcome to the BARCS forum

If I were you I'd leave the Capstan where it is, and get hold of  a more modern ARTF trainer/ near scale/ basic aerobatic model with a gyro in...I assume you are on 2.4(?) ….include  two sets of interchangeable wings, held on with  bands, one for flat field operation t'other with less dihedral, shorter span, and ailerons, and you'll maximise your flying time

I remember a chap who flew a Capstan at Ivinghoe many years ago, I complimented him on his aerobatics, he said "I didn't INTEND to do half of those!":)

Best of luck

Pete

BARCS1702

• Thanks 1

pwlthomas

Thank you for all the advice all. 

I agree it makes sense to start from scratch with a modern design and I like the sound of an interchangeable wing.  Something must be a compromise I guess but at my level, I doubt it is significant. 

I'm still amazed/disappointed there aren't any slopes in the Yorkshire Wolds that aren't popular anymore.  The people I knew from Beverley (where I grew up) were more than happy up there. 

I actually live very close to Rufforth and also flew full size gliders from there for several years, several decades ago.  

Regards to all.

Pete

SilentPilot

I might have met you! Been going for over 30 years!

Sutton Bank, Dishforth, then settling down at Rufforth circa 1990 :) 

• Like 1

pwlthomas

That would be very possible  🙂 

I flew at Rufforth from 1992 to just before 2000, then switched to power at Sherburn. 

Before that I was at Pocklington, taking advantage of the "great slopes" of the Yorkshire Wolds! 😉 

It all began on Beverley Westwood "back in the day", flying RC models as a kid. 

The flying  came to an end once the children arrived, now they have left home, it's time to start again! 

Regards to all

Pete

• Like 3