3rd 2020 2m Hi Start 14 day Duration Challenge

martynk

A placeholder for the 3rd 2M Hi-Start 14 day duration Challenge for 2020

Please submit your score below. The clock will start when the first score is submitted.

This is a for fun challenge, anyone with a bungee-launched glider up to 2 metres wingspan and the standard Hi-Start can post a time.

Object: Fly your 2 metre glider for as long as possible from a flat field, the person who's time is unbeaten for 14 days 'wins' and a new challenge starts.

Rules: Launches must be made from the standard Challenge Hi-Start bungee. Flight times begin when line releases from the towhook and the model must land in the field for times to count. While the object is to encourage F3-RES types, any model up to 2 metre span may be flown (F3-RES, foam, full house aileron mouldie) but please state the type of model with your time.

The standard Hi-Start bungee is a maximum of 10m of 6/4mm surgical tubing and 50m of static line (minimum 30lb breaking strain). Lighter/smaller bungee rubber may be used.

Fly safely! No slope soaring

martynk

Got out for an hour late this afternoon.  A gap in between rain showers.  5 flights, the best was the last flight at 4:38 just before the rain restarted.

Very cloudy with a 5-7 mph wind blowing straight over the farm house (strictly no fly zone unless its too high to notice - it never got that high).

Really starting to enjoy flying the new Mad Hatter..

Martyn Kinder - F3-RES - Mad Hatter 2 - 4:38

I do expect that score to be beaten though.

image.thumb.png.812d9e11d68a5f40be441e083ae14fe8.png

StraightEdge
On 01/07/2020 at 20:34, martynk said:

I do expect that score to be beaten though.

Well, if it is, then the weather from this weekend (Sunday especially) will be the time to do it! 🙂

• Like 1
StraightEdge

Got my re-covered PuRES maidened today.   Very nice soarer with good penetration (better than the X-RES?) but discovered that (i) I hadn't configured enough mechanical movement on the V-tail control surfaces, especially the rudder side of things, which no amount of fiddling with the TX could change; and (ii) that the torsion-springs I made up aren't man enough to prevent flutter - which I experienced on launches and when flying into very active thermals or through big down-draughts, so couldn't make best use of the conditions!

But Cirrus, who'd come over to join me, did much better with his own X-RES !!

cirrusRC

Met up with StraightEdge for some RES flying yesterday.   Beautiful location!    Think we had everything in the air.   Full size gliders,  motored paragliders (also sharing the field), microlights, ultra lights,  red kites, buzzards, kestrels and I believe a peregrine falcon!

Windier than I was expecting and the terrain seemed to funnel the wind / infill and magnify it.      Added some nose weight but at times I was either stationary or going backwards.    This had the advantage that when I hit lift the model went vertically up and no need to turn :)

Only really had 1 decent flight.   A good launch and once hooked up with some lift,  didn't really need to do a great deal,  the air was generous to me.

David | X-RES | 24:50  | 12th July

res.thumb.JPG.39df6301ca6573d402d96addf264c5d2.JPG

StraightEdge's Pure-Res flew very nicely.   Appeared more agile and better penetration compared to the X-RES.    Hopefully when V-Tail properly sorted it will be back in the air.

My cheapo Emax rudder servo doesn't seem very happy.   Lots of backlash and twitching (spring not overly strong).    Going to replace for something better.   KST or Futaba probably.

• Like 1
martynk

Very nice, that first thermal looked pretty strong and the descent alarming..  😄

Updated Table

image.thumb.png.42cbd8eacebdd47c1854c95c6fdde7fd.png

cirrusRC

Thanks Martyn, yes for the decent I normal pull full spoilers and stick it in a dive.  It seems to work ok without  over speed.   That flight yesterday i might have got my fingers in a muddle and come down quicker than expected 😬. Need to remember I'm not flying a dlg!

Pete in Northiam

Ok, here we go.  My first day out with my RES-Eagle (RBC Kits from the March 2018 RCM&E plan) on Pevensey Levels in East Sussex and it's maiden flights off a bungee (postal standard 10m+50m).  Most of my time was sorting trim and learning what a crap batch of bungee tube I had bought as it broke three times before I gave up! 

My best time was a measly 3m10.3s - but it's a time on the board

I have taken delivery of another 50m of tubing from Amazon (Tansoole Latex Rubber Tubing ONE Continuous Piece,4×6mm, Pack of 50m) that's at least a different colour to the first batch.  Fingers crossed it's a but more durable.  Where do you other folk get yours?

Back in the air again soon.  

Cheers  --Pete Newman
BMFA 197508
BARCS 3869

$R4UZ3DS.jpg

$R3IL6QB.jpg

• Like 3
martynk

I think you are on the right thread. So welcome and nice to have another competitor. Keep practicing and you will get better. Thermals don't care what's in them... 😂 

PS, You can still submit revised scores if you improve on your first suibmission

cirrusRC
On 13/07/2020 at 16:10, Pete in Northiam said:

I have taken delivery of another 50m of tubing from Amazon (Tansoole Latex Rubber Tubing ONE Continuous Piece,4×6mm, Pack of 50m) that's at least a different colour to the first batch.  Fingers crossed it's a but more durable.  Where do you other folk get yours?

Pete - let us know what you think of the tubing from Amazon

My model came with a bungee already,   I think it was from HobbyKing when their source was good.   Now its rubbish from what I've heard.

See this thread here :  

StraightEdge got some from the ebay link at end of post.    We went 50/50 on it.    No idea if its any good yet as not tried it out.    

Where was your first batch from?   hopefully not that ebay link! :)

Pete in Northiam
18 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

Pete - let us know what you think of the tubing from Amazon

Where was your first batch from?   hopefully not that ebay link! :)

Sorry to say the 50m of tubing from Amazon (Tansoole Latex Rubber Tubing ONE Continuous Piece,4×6mm, Pack of 50m) is not one continuous piece!  The pack contained 10 pieces (with folded carboard joins!) only one of which is over 10m and the others down to < 1m! Not even all the same batch from the colours.   I'm seeking a refund.  

I'm disappointed to say the least as I now don't have a comp-standard bungee or the material to make any.  I've still got my Hyperflight F3-RES bungee - that is excellent even at nearly 3yrs old  but it's 15m long and 8mm diameter and I am loathe to shorten it.

The red stuff isn't listed on eBay now and the Hobbyking equivalent gets universally bad reviews.  

What to do?  I'm online, shopping, now...

@martynk, could you remind us if there was a relaxation of the original (6mmx4mmx10m + 50m) rules for bungees?  I know the comp is about thermals not the launch but good if we had something actually available to use!

Cheers  --Pete Newman

BMFA 197508
BARCS 3869

20200715_103737.jpg

20200715_103733.jpg

Pete in Northiam
20 hours ago, cirrusRC said:

(Hmm - thought I'd answered but maybe didn't hit Submit.  Anyway...) Thanks for the link, that looks like the same sort of material I received.  It works but wasn't durable to take care not to overstretch or snag it.  

I spent yesterday afternoon searching for UK manufacturers of high-extension silicone rubber tubing in 6mm OD x 4mm ID size and found several.  Interesting conversations with their sales teams who are used to dealing with food industry uses but curious about our application.   So, samples requested and on their way to me.  If they prove suitable in terms of elastic modulus (kilos pull per fractional extension) and durability then I will order a 50m spool and make up a few bungees for testing. 

I will be happy to mass produce some for sale at cost price if there is interest here.  If I get a 50m spool or more, the cost is likely in the region of £20 for 10m with end terminations (pic of my version below) plus postage.  I don't want to make a profit at this point, only encourage entries in the competition!  If anyone here is interested, let me know.  197016744_20200612_093723-Copy.thumb.jpg.c2ebe07ca2514e20572e1231e0458a05.jpg

martynk

Hi Pete

Sorry for the delay, on holiday...

We relaxed the HK red bungee mandate when the spec changed but still require 6x4x10m.  I have tried some natural tube but it far too susceptible for damage. Fortunately, I managed to get a length of HK red from a UK supplier (at 3x the price!) and I am using that carefully.

If you need to use something else, then go ahead, it shouldn't make any vast difference. My only concern is that a weaker - longer stretching  bungee - may be highly advantageous in a breeze as it would stretch quite easily giving beneficial launch height. If you use a different bungee then say what you are using on your flight submission post.

cirrusRC

Just curious, what's typical launch height in light conditions?  I seem to average 50-60 meters.  If conditions are good, launch height doesn't seem to matter much.  Just wondering as have limited experience as to what a good launch height is classed as.

Typically how many meters do you walk back to stretch bungee?  I'm currently doing around 30 paces.

martynk

I don't really know. I don't carry any height measuring devices in my models but I  think that I get about 50-60m in a very gentle breeze, somewhat less in a flat calm

• Like 1
StraightEdge

I've been getting 65m plus. Little used original stock HK red 10m 6/4mm. I guess 30 paces is approaching 3x stretch.

• Like 1
Pete in Northiam

I flew with the (short-supplied) Tansoole 6mm x 4mm natural latex tubing yesterday.   Better than the earlier TEN-HIGH Natural Latex Rubber Tubing - better uniformity and less damage.  I suspect "Tan" means "elastic" in Chinese BTW.  

Best challenge time of day: 4min 6sec.  Is this still the 3rd challenge @martynk?  

Average release height 43.9m from six launches at 35-40 paces (after excluding an awful cross-wind attempt).  Best release was 58m.   

Plenty of lift patches but I'm still learning how to smoothly circle the RES-Eagle so I didn't keep up with them very well.  I fear I am still flying too slowly for thermal work - too much slope work in recent years! 

Here's the log from the best flight - I did go up for a while so better than last week 🙂  Launched at 58m, max height 73m - a whole 15m!  Switch F is my Tx flight timer enable demarking the release and landing.  

Chasing up the other samples for testing.  

Cheers  --Pete 

BMFA 197508
BARCS 3869

1946639432_2020-07-23Bestofdaylog.thumb.jpg.df8eb3110699e1c1266b818406f077d1.jpg