Is this an early Multiplex Flamingo…?

DarylBurton

DarylBurton

Well, I’d always thought that this model I bought a year or two back was a very early Multiplex Flamingo, but I’m beginning to wonder!

I understand that were many iterations over the years, but I can’t find any others with a polyhedral foam cored/veneered wing and without ailerons. Not sure if the airbrake boxes are original or cut later. The glass fus  looks exactly like a Flamingo, and it has the floating round wing joiner with fore and aft spigots on the fus.

Anybody recognise / care to date it…? Or maybe Multiplex produced something early on, very similar to the Flamingo, but with a polyhedral RES setup?

Any info much appreciated (even if it makes me look silly to have asked… 🙂  )

Daryl

P1100827.JPG

DarylBurton

Hi Pete

The wings are foam, span 2.8m (+/-5cm).

It's probably just my photo that makes those brakes look like spoilers. That's some black film covering the full depth recesses which I'm pretty sure were for Schempp style brakes.

The strange thing is that I have another bare, unused  'Flamingo' fuselage which I believe was taken off a Multiplex original and the two are pretty much identical.

It's mainly  that Polyhedral / no aileron thing that's throwing me!

All the best

Daryl

Appears to be a copy of an early Flamingo fuselage, the canopy cut out is the same and the fin leading edge/rudder hinge line sweep looks very similar. It has a matching reversed AMT bellcrank.

image.png.de266b604972dd0b461e2cb2f8479bbc.png

image.png.87361d124a66114f304b78cdac9ef59f.pngimage.png.b654f3c3f6fc2ffd350a01c5658044a4.png

Fuselage length would be 1025 mm.

The nose radius is bigger as noted, I have a Centi-Phase fuselage which is almost certainly a copy with a blunt nose (not that a CP has a sharp nose!).

I also have an MPX LS3 fuselage that appears to be a copy but made in the original moulds, the quality/finesse is just not there.

The rudder has a larger chord at the top for more area, needed for this RES glider.

Nice looking model whatever it is.

Gary

John Minchell

I have an original Mk 1 MPX Flamingo fuselage, aquired from Dave Welch who ran the model shop in Leighton Buzzard who Pete knew as well (RIP). 

That looks the same with the exception of the nose radius.  Seems someone has built a set of polyhedral wings and a larger rudder for it to fly RE only.

John M