Taped Hinges

Scruffmeister

Hi All,

I'm going over a second hand Phase 5 I purchased recently. The hinges seems to have been made with a crystal clear "sellotape" - I'm fairly sure it's not clear Profilm and must have come from a reel of tape. Is there such a product out there that is suitable for hinging/crystal clear and doesn't yellow under UV?

Kind regards

f3fman

There was a fantastic product called "Diamond tape", but no longer available.

pete beadle

Hi scruffmeister

I think it is fair to assume that, if it's a "Phase 5", it's potentially older than you think:yes:

I would think that the tape used on your "new" model is a tape that is no longer used, and therefore is not a good idea to replace "like for like"

The two biggest problems when using "Scotch" tape, "Sellotape" and other similar tape products are that they are not made to be used in the conditions we (mis) use them in. We need resistance to UV degradation and ingress of damp.....tapes used in offices don't.

So, why not ask what tape(s) we are using on our "woodies"

I often use SylGlas - made for use outdoors, repairing plastic sheeting and such - this has great resistance to UV and water ingress, it's also a lot more "heavy duty" ie thicker and stickier than Scotch and Sellotape.....Diamond Tape was just the best tape we could get at the time....so why not replace it with something better while you can?

OK guys, what do you use on your "woodies".....then tell scruffmeister here, OK:thumbsup:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

pete beadle

Hi Marc

That tape is packaging tape, quite wide and usually used for covering foamies that bounce…..scruffmeister needs 15mm wide tape or similar:yes:

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

• Thanks 1
EssexBOF

I still use Diamond Tape, for some things, but have gone over to clear Profilm/Oracover, for a lot of applications, where I used the former. I found that Diamond Tape, would not stick to glass cloth finished with epoxy, when i was building my Watts New model some 6 years ago now. Used on hinging the flaps & ailerons and still in place now. But the thing that was to convince me was that when taping the outer wing panels to the centre panel, no tape would hold after a brief time even for flying. So ironed on a strip of Profilm clear, approx  20mm wide on each side of the join on each panel. This then allowed the standard PVC tape to hold when applied, plus the profilm stays in place when removing the PVC tape.

Another bonus is that as it is not tacky, the side that may be used to cover any hinge joint, will not stick to the moving surface. To remove, a cool iron run over the stuck side, will enable it to be peeled off, as the iron goes over it.

I was to obtain some of clear Profilm, from a sadly departed friends stock, which he used to cover free flight models, then doped tissue over it. this gave a tisssued finish with much improved  puncture/tear restance.

• Like 1
f3fisa

I find Scotch Crystal Tape is a great replacement for the old Diamond Tape.

I bought mine from here https://www.postofficeshop.co.uk/office-supplies/stationery/tapes-and-tape-dispensers/scotch-19mm-x-33m-crystal-clear-tape-600

but the website is down at the moment. You can also get it from Amazon, etc, but the Post office shop is the cheapest.

It's great for attaching servo covers as it leaves no residue when removed, it can be used for holding on wings but Nitto tape is the best for this

https://www.navboys.com/NITTO_WING_TAPE.html

The last website does sell other tapes for full size gliders.

David.

• Like 1
Phil.Taylor

Tesa tape is good stuff too - Tesafilm tape - prefer it to Scotch Crystal

Keith_W

The tape I mentioned above has been on some of my foamies for over 10 years and still good

• Like 1
isoaritfirst

If top hinged. Put aileron flat onto top of the wing with the hinge points together. Run a piece of tape over the aileron round to the bottom skin. Do one at each end and one by the surface horn. 
pull them tight to make the aileron close gapped to the hinge line. Then run a span wide length of tape along this bottom hinge skin. 
fold it back over to where it is supposed  to sit and run another 3 pieces across the top. Again pulling the aileron onto the hinge line. 
check it’s free to move ok, then run a full span piece of tape along the top surface.

put the span wide tapes over the other cross over tapes. These are just there to pull everything into place during taping. 

the resultant hinge will last for yeRs with diamond tape. If you can find any. 
it won’t work with Silglass the tape is much to thick. 

• Like 1
Scruffmeister

Thanks all, very informative.