Wasabi minor refurb

Mizuno52

Hi Guys. I bought a Wasabi from Baudis back in 2014, and I must say that I've been delighted with its performance. My decision to buy was heavily influenced by the great "Cliffhanger" flying at Rhossilli. It is a docile flyer off the slope but superbly responsive when you start to chuck it around. Alas Baudis (and FlyBiWo, the previous makers) do not make it any longer. I'm looking to tidy up the fuselage which has some damage which I'm pretty sure only extends to the gel coat. The skin is quite thin and flexible which I think has caused the cosmetic damage.

Any suggestions how I might strengthen the rear fuselage between the wing TE and the tailplane? Getting inside with carbon tows is tricky because the wing joiner blocks access, plus there is a carbon pushrod for the elevator and closed loop for the rudder.  I've thought of trying to fit a couple of formers to the aft fuselage to stiffen things up, but can't work out how to go about it. The obvious thing is to reinforce on the outside, but even this isn't straightforward as the flex in the skin makes final finishing prone to lumps and bumps. I've got some photos to share but struggling to upload, so I'll do that later.

Any ideas? 

It is a very treasured model that deserves to get some beauty treatment. 

Over to the experts!!

voltij

I use a full length horizontal strengthener made from very soft and light 3/8 balsa running from the back of the servo tray to as far into the tail as you can get ideally just in front of the bell crank This does not need to be strong or rigid it just stops the egg shell fuz sides from folding and cracking Its impossible to get it to fit accurately all the way along so glue in with expanding gorilla glue to fill in the gaps it helps to have a piece of string attached to the front end so you can get it out between trial fits

Mizuno52

Thanks for the suggestion Voltij, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Is that what you did with your Voltij for a similar reason. When buying the Wasabi, the Voltij and Vector were the other main contenders, but the Vector lost out because James Hammond seemed to be in dispute with both Tony Fu at Sloperacer and RCRCM. Can't remember what stopped me buying the Voltij. 

voltij

Never had a Vector but have had a mini vector and a couple of Voltijs. Would say the Voltij is more of an Aresti competitor.

Dont current;y have a Wasabi so if you or anybody else want to sell let me know!

Mizuno52

Thanks for the suggestion Voltij, I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on. Is that what you did with your Voltij for a similar reason. When buying the Wasabi, the Voltij and Vector were the other main contenders, but the Vector lost out because James Hammond seemed to be in dispute with both Tony Fu at Sloperacer and RCRCM. Can't remember what stopped me buying the Voltij. 

Mizuno52

Following voltiij's tip this afternoon I gave it a try. I used 5mm balsa but cyanoed cross pieces every 100mm or so to give it some "squashing strength ". To try to make it as accurate a fit as possible I dug out some calipers that an engineer friend gave me some years ago. I then measured the outside every 100mm and subtracted 2mm to allow for the skins which I guessed at 1mm. The whole piece was 500mm long. When I tried it for fit it was perfect first time touching both sides all the way down! I bet I couldn't do that again. 

I gave some thought to how to fix it in place and came up with the idea in the photo. Basically it's a piece of silicone tube fixed to a syringe with a piece of dowel taped to it to keep it rigid. I mixed up some epoxy resin and added some micro balloons being careful to only add a little to stop the mix being too viscous. Having positioned the former in place dry, then I pushed my makeshift tool down into the fuselage and started squeezing. When finished I found that the crosspieces enabled the resin to sort of pool and I could then tilt the fuselage downwards for a couple of minutes and then upright giving a nice fillet of resin.

It has dramatically stiffened the fuselage sides, so I can now repair the cracks in the gel coat and give it a coat of paint to make it A1 again.

Sorry, but I don't know of anyone with a Wasabi for sale and I'm not ready to part with mine. Thanks once again for your help. Richard

DSC01908.thumb.JPG.d91b3ccff6dc39c190aa9292cbf29d96.JPGDSC01909.thumb.JPG.8fdb2d4e8bf6c0522c9ed75266af81f5.JPGDSC01912.thumb.JPG.a8eb0b5e64e5a5005147dbeb15aa3f64.JPG

• Like 1