PROGLIDE V Tail - Rapid Prototype

ThermalBoy

Decided I would like to try out a V Tail version of the PROGLIDE but wanted to be sure I liked the flying performance of a PROGLIDE V tail version before putting Kevin to the trouble of making a new mould for the end of the tail boom. In order to do this the servo’s would need to be mounted within the tail-planes. To achieve this I have used the small/light Kingmax 0309 wing mount type servo’s (same size as the KST 08’s) mounted in a simple 3D printed mount. The servo which is only 8mm thick lies completely below the lower tailplane surface.

This design has proven to be a great way to quickly prototype a V tail version of the PROGLIDE but would work equally well for any plane that uses a boom. The pictures are self-explanatory as to how it’s done along with the 3D printed parts that I’ve used

One of the key parts is the 3D printed end ribs which allow perfect/easy alignment of joiners, incidence pegs and most importantly, auto-mating servo plug connections. I designed the V Tail angle to be 102 degree’s but this can of course be changed to any angle by varying the 3D printed parts accordingly. The boom insert is blue-tacked onto the end of a wooden dowel and then pushed down the boom to align with the pre drilled holes in the boom. Its then glued into place. The insert provides the integrated anchor/mounting point for the main joiners.

The servo covers used are the existing carbon skins which are cut from the tailplane and carefully peeled back off the foam and then taped back on after servo installation. The main joiners, which are offset from each other, are 4mm dia carbon rod. Each finished tailplane half including the servo etc weighs 38g. As the tailplane halves are quite large (500mm span) I consider this to be a reasonable AUW. It’s difficult to compare this weight directly with the X Tail version as I have increased the boom length by approx 130mm compared to the cross tail version, ie shifted a fair bit of weight rearwards.

Having now flown the V tail, I’m happy enough with it to say that at least some, if not all of my PROGLIDES will be sporting V tails whenever we eventually get back to having competitions.

Colin

Boom Driill Guide & Insert_result.jpg

Boom Insert Close Up_result.jpg

P7232086_result.JPG

P7232089_result.JPG

P7232098_result.jpg

Ribs_result.jpg

Tailplane Servo_result.jpg

Tailplane_result.jpg

• Like 2