English Open F3F 2020 - 23rd August

Nigel_W

Hello F3F flyers, it is time to wake this part of the forum back up. 

375482168_EOposter2020v1.png.47355a3aa6c150dcb41bf309cd4ef9dc.png

The White Sheet RFC committee has considered the guidance around sporting events, and has decided that we are able to run the 2020 English Open F3F.  As this is the first F3F competition post-lockdown it will run on 1 day only - 23rd August - with a limit of 20 pilots.

Entries should be submitted to myself by PM on this site or by email to nigel.witchalls AT blueyonder.co.uk .  Please provide your email address, BMFA number, and CAA operator number (and frequency if not using 2.4 GHz).  This entry list and (if necessary) reserve list will be placed on this post.  Arrangements for the day to ensure the event is compliant with Covid-Secure guidance will be sent to entrants by email. 

Unfortunately Stu Wallace, who has run this event very successfully for a number of years, has needed to step down from his role of White Sheet Comp Secretary due to health reasons.  In recognition of his commitment to the event, the club has decided that all proceeds from this year's event (full entry fee and raffle) will go to the two charities that Stu has supported in past years through the English Open - Histio UK and Bloodwise.  Donations also encouraged.  Many thanks to Stu for all he has done for the English Open and his enthusiasm for F3F.   Below is a pic of Stu receiving the Welsh Open 2018 trophy for fastest time.

Nigel

2a4def1780d6a76.thumb.jpg.17abdc1e2865d63cc339ecd02279ccf2.jpg

• Like 7

Very well put together Nigel. 
Stuart has done a wonderful job organising the English Open, and I’m sure everyone on here wishes him well with his health. 
I can’t make it to the competition, but you will still get my entrance fee for Stu’s  charities. 
Midweek Mike. 

Some points to add that I missed.  Entry fee is £10 taken on the day (all to Stu's charities).  A weather call will be made on evening of Friday 21st. 

The entry list to date is as follows.

• Graeme Mahoney
  • Nigel Witchalls
  • Phil Taylor
  • Mike Shellim
  • Mark Redsell
  • Mike Evans
  • Les Wood
  • Andy Burgoyne
  • David Woods
  • Ian Falconer
  • Keith Wood
  • Mark Passingham
  • Bruce Hudson
  • Mark Treble
  • Dave Rumble
  • Graham Hill
  • John Treble
  • Tony Livingstone
  • John Phillips
  • Ian Mason

Edited by Witch_1
Final entry list

Hi All,

I was both delighted & moved on seeing & reading Nigels opening post. I am very pleased that this yrs English open will be being staged.

I am both frustrated & dissapointed that despite my very best efforts  that due to continued health reasons I am unable to organise, run or enter this yrs event. 

My family & I were very moved  on reading that the WRFC Committee have decided that all proceeds from this year's event (full entry fee and raffle) will be going to the two charities that I have been fundraising for in memory of our son Tom (aged 26) - Histio UK and Bloodwise.

Bloodwise have very recently changed their name to Blood Cancer UK. When you have a spare moment, please follow this link to their new website so as to  discover the important life changing & saving work that they do  https://bloodcancer.org.uk/

Likewise to discover the excellent work by Histio uk, please spare a few minutes to follow this link to their website ;- https://www.histiouk.org/

My sincerest heartfelt thanks to all involved in the WRFC in organising this years competition, & to all pilots supporting the event. 

Stu 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Would there be a chance to extend to 30 this weekend? (As it seems to be the maximum number allowed for those sort of events in covid times...)

Any updates either on the list or the forecast? 

Tone-the-glider

I

53 minutes ago, Aleix said:

Would there be a chance to extend to 30 this weekend? (As it seems to be the maximum number allowed for those sort of events in covid times...)

Any updates either on the list or the forecast? 

I believe the max 20 allowed it is a local rule. Possibly by National Trust.

The entry list remains as above.  If any entrants are not planning on coming please can you advise me asap as per recent email.

The limit of 20 is a decision by the White Sheet club to ensure that the event does not draw excessive attention and raise unnecessary sensitivities.  There has been a significant increase in public use of the site for exercise since the pandemic, and we need to make sure the interests of the wider club membeship are not affected.

The slopes available for the weekend can cover wind direction NNW round to SE, but as for rain it is too early to say with confidence.  The weather call will be Friday evening.

In addition to Nigel’s post above,

As this is only a one day comp this year, any more than 20 pilots and you would only have maybe 4 flights.

G

• Like 2

Its to windy, wet, hot, cold, snowing, plague of locusts, covid hot spot on over the weekend, please don't bother coming...

This is in no relation to me being No1 on the standby list😇

Rob C

• Haha 3