English Open F3F 2020 - 23rd August

Nigel_W

Well, that was a good comp to start us off, though not the easiest introduction back into timed flights.  The forecast rain delayed the start till 11.30, but gave everyone a good chance to catch up.  The wind was westerly all day, so was 15-30 deg crossed on the far end of the NW slope.

The first round started sluggishly, but then picked up by the end to give the later group of pilots a flying start.  Mark Redsell set a time of 43s, well ahead of the others.  This trend of one or two fast times per round continued across the day, with round wins by Mark Redsell, Mike Evans, John Phillips, Mike Shellim, Mark Treble (twice), Mark Passingham, and Dave Rumble.  These were all in the low to mid 40’s.  The spells of very poor air meant that all except JP scored times in the late 50’s or early 60’s at some point.  There were many flights where conditions changed partway through the flight.  JP flew very consistently and was only edged into the 50’s a couple of times.

The standard of flying was good across the whole field, especially considering the long lay-off,, and 15 of the 20 pilots finished with more than 900 points.  The top 3 had made their dominance clear by round 5, with JP’s lead only being really challenged by Mark Treble’s FTD of 40.69 in round 6, and only 30 points separated the top 3 in the end.  The rest of the field was extremely close as well, and continued to trade places all day - there were too many ups and downs to pick any out.  Any cuts or missed opportunities had their cost.

The chart attached below shows the finishing order and how the round scores progressed through the day.

English Open 2020 Results Charts.pdf

The raffle main prize of an AHI was secured by a delighted Ian Mason.  Other donated prizes included a fine bottle of wine, gorilla glue, and bottle of cyano.  A total of £350 was raised through entry fees and raffle to be donated to the two charities that the English Open has supported in the last few years – Blood Cancer UK and Histio UK.

Huge thanks to Graeme, who organised the new club timing gear, and CD’d the whole day spending most of his time in the centre.  Also to Dave Rumble who was trained on the timing system in round 1, then manned the centre in alternation with Graeme.  Tony and several others assisted with a range of tasks - much appreciated.  Buzzing changeovers happened very smoothly all day, so thanks everyone for that.

All in all an enjoyable day was had by everyone, which is the main thing.  Hopefully we can look forward to some winter league events, and a two-day English Open next year, with less restriction on numbers.

• Like 7

isoaritfirst

Cheers Nigel,  Graham and everyone else for making the day run smoothly despite the weather doing its best to be anything other than smooth. 
Great flying by JP, a worthy winner.
Great flying in such changeable conditions when it’s easy to just let the conditions dictate the result. 
While many of us, especially me, just blame bad luck on the day, the podium shows that even on very changeable days the Guys that often win. Still do. 
Great to see you all again  

• Like 3

An excellent day out, many thanks to the Whitesheet guys for a well organised and run event. Congrats to the worthy 1st, 2nd & 3rd places,  good weather eventually but challenging. What more is there to say.

Nigel would say why the positions chart does not seem to correspond to the xl sheet please? Many positions are off as far as I can tell. 

6 hours ago, Redbird said:

Nigel would say why the positions chart does not seem to correspond to the xl sheet please? Many positions are off as far as I can tell. 

All looks fine to me 😕

7 hours ago, Redbird said:

The position chart shows the position up to and including that round, not the position IN that  specific round (and from round 4 onwards it also takes account of a discard).  The spreadsheet has both.  As a winter project I could try add a position-in-round chart.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all the organisers for a well run competition.

I've had a look at the spreadsheet and looked at the scores with and without a discard and surprisingly the top 8 competitor standings did not change with a discard.

So even though everyone waits for a discard it did not seem to make much difference.

I've attached a different version of the results with the points and positions as I couldn't find that information on the original spreadsheet.

David

English Open 2020.xls

• Like 3

Please disregard my previous post as I entered a couple of the rounds with the wrong fastest times, well it was 3.00am when I did it.

The new spreadsheet shows the corrected results and only the top 4 places were not affected by the discards.

A video will be appearing soon.

David

English Open 2020.xls

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, f3fisa said:

Please disregard my previous post as I entered a couple of the rounds with the wrong fastest times, well it was 3.00am when I did it.

The new spreadsheet shows the corrected results and only the top 4 places were not affected by the discards.

A video will be appearing soon.

David

English Open 2020.xls 18 kB · 5 downloads

Nice, I've moved up to 6th  ;-))

21 minutes ago, Rumbey said:

Nice, I've moved up to 6th  ;-))

Ehhhhhh........🙄

You lookng at the accountants copy Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

Ehhhhhh........🙄

You lookng at the accountants copy Dave 

I'm sure Graeme was ahead of me in the official stats!!??

19 minutes ago, Rumbey said:

I'm sure Graeme was ahead of me in the official stats!!??

he was .....Daves sheet doesnt look right even in the second copy 

David's what-if analysis has a couple of issues with discards which makes some of the "including discard" scores incorrect.

Dave, you can suppress discards in the 'official' spreadsheet - go to the RawData tab and, for each round flown, set discards=0  (heading row).

• Like 1

Just done the pics which are in the photo gallery

I'll add to the chorus by saying many thanks to Nigel and Graeme for a great day out. Knowing that we can run and enjoy comps albeit with limited entry is really encouraging.

• Like 10

Another great gallery, Mike. Well done. I had a good time as well. Great to be out with timing gear again!
Thanks to all involved in getting all equipment out to the end  of the slope, including the unfamiliar new items of sanitiser and wipes. 
And, of course, congratulations to the first three!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, f3fisa said:

the lesson to be learned is don't dabble with the official spreadsheet

Right on, David!