Sign in to follow this  
MattyB

The Multiplex Alpina is back!

MattyB

It's back! After a long time away Multiplex have re-acquired the Alpina name and are releasing a new all moulded 4m version, the Alpina Carbotec. This time it's manufactured by Tomahawk Aviation and is priced at 1200 Euros in electric and unpowered versions...

image.png.e265ab6e5351390ad4e8ec6ae9a80a09.png

There is also a smaller 3.3m one with a T tail (again in electric and pure sailplane), the Antaris… (880 Euros)

image.png.97250f2255109107658e22a7b14e60c1.png

At these prices I think they could be pretty popular, especially if the Tangent quality issues have been sorted out.

RCGroups thread here...

• Like 1

wookman

All moulded Multiplex Alpina, what's not to like!

• Like 2

oipigface

Do they do float sets to go with them?

• Haha 4

pete beadle
1 hour ago, wookman said:

All moulded Multiplex Alpina, what's not to like!

Hi wookman

The price(s)...

For me, the Alpina was always a simple, relatively inexpensive, easy to build, easy to repair, Big 'Un:thumbsup: Neither of these fill that bill for me:(:no:

and, when will they learn to spell - ANTARES!!!!

Sorry,  call me a Luddite if you will. Over the years I've had FIVE Alpinas, they're lovely, smooth and easy to fly to fly, iconic, high-end sportsters....don't think I'll be saving up my pennies to buy this new one though 

Still, good luck to them, at least they're trying!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

mikef
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

and, when will they learn to spell - ANTARES!!!!

Pete, They probably can spell 'Antares' but that's not the name of the model.

(sorry - cheap shot)

• Like 1

Phil.Taylor

Quite tempting...

Andy_B
3 hours ago, pete beadle said:

Hi wookman

The price(s)...

For me, the Alpina was always a simple, relatively inexpensive, easy to build, easy to repair, Big 'Un:thumbsup: Neither of these fill that bill for me:(:no:

a

when was an Alpina or for that matter anything Multiplex ever inexpensive Pete  🙂

My Alpina in 1982 cost the equivalent of a thousand Euro's now

• Like 2

wookman

One of my flying buddies from years ago had Mk 1 Alpina that I drooled over a good bit more than I should have. Closest I got back in the early eighties to owning one was looking at the adverts! They were EXPENSIVE. I am now lucky enough to have two Mk1s, a flyer and a resto. Total cost under half what a kit would have cost in the eighties. They are iconic for good reason, they are very very good. But then you all know that. If the quality is there then is 1200 quid expensive? Well yes but it is more a question of value for money. For a 4m machine with that sort of pedigree there will be some who will consider it an absolute bargain. If they turn out to be that good I will buy a second hand one in a few years time. No rush, I have got two Mk1s to ware out first. 

Alpina3.jpg

• Like 2

pete beadle

Hi all

MANY years ago I remember standing next to Sean Bannister on the West Face  of Ivinghoe Beacon while he was putting the first (Mark One) Alpina review model in the UK through its paces....it was literally awe-inspiring. When he finished his tour de force flight by s-l-o-w-l-y axial rolling the big beast across the face of the Beacon I realised I was now standing in a group of flyers, who had all stopped flying to stand and watch, in total silence as Sean showed us all what the Alpina could do

The Alpina had real presence and, I seem to remember Sean said later that the price on the Alpina's box was around £150.00. I don't know how to work out what that price was in "today's money" but I do know that several of the flyers who watched that day were fully prepared to pay a LOT more than the price on the box to get their hands on one.:yes:

Even today, I stand and watch someone who can fly an Alpina well in preference to flying myself.....and so do many others.....it is the dictionary definition of iconic....and yet I  just don't want to own a fully-moulded one....odd isn't it?!

Regards

Pete

BARCS1702

Redbird
1 hour ago, wookman said:

One of my flying buddies from years ago had Mk 1 Alpina that I drooled over a good bit more than I should.... 

Alpina3.jpg

Would be good if both wings were the same length though, don't you think? Who wants to turn left all day? 

• Haha 1

MattyB
1 hour ago, pete beadle said:

Even today, I stand and watch someone who can fly an Alpina well in preference to flying myself.....and so do many others.....it is the dictionary definition of iconic....and yet I  just don't want to own a fully-moulded one....odd isn't it?!

Robbe seem to have that angle covered - their Calima is pretty much the original Alpina format (4m, glass fuse, foam wing, crosstail) and significantly cheaper, though the scheme is pretty hideous.

It appears some of these models are made by Tomahawk too - their Cyclone certainly is...

MattyB

Hmmm... Both the Antaris and Alpina pages have been pulled from the Mpx site, and looking at Tangent’s pages they still have plenty of Alpina’s listed. I suspect there may be a few legal wrangles ongoing... ☹️

• Thanks 1

MattyB

Just got off the phone with West London Models who had listed the Alpina for pre-order; apparently they have been told by Perkins (Mpx’s UK distributor) that these models will be direct sales only from Mpx in Germany. They didn’t know anything about the mysterious missing listing on the Mpx site though...

• Thanks 1