Vario off?

Redbird

Do the rules allow one to compete while a vario is fitted (Frsky GRX) if it is switched off for launch and flight? Is it up to the CD?

oipigface

I haven’t checked, but I am pretty sure that the rules of F3F say nothing about varios. We had a discussion a few years ago about giros and these are not permitted. 

satinet

I thought the rules exuded anything other than RF signal and battery voltage.

Are we talking WC level or BMFA/local level here. I would not put one in a model to be use at an FAI top level comp for obvious reasons. BMFA/ UK flying I think no one would mind as long as you don't actually use it. A vario isn't very useful in f3f obviously.  

oipigface

Yes. You’re right, Tom. This is what the Sporting Code says:

Any technological device used to aid in supplying data of the air’s condition or direct feedback of the model’s flight status is prohibited during the flight. These devices include any transmission or receiving devices not used to directly control the model. Telemetry of signal strength at the aircraft receiver and state of the receiver battery is permitted. The usage of corrective eyeglasses and sunglasses is permitted. If an infringement of this rule occurs, the pilot will be disqualified from the contest.

Apologies, Bruce.

To answer your question, though, the rules refer to use. They don’t say that you can’t have one fitted. So I guess you are OK if you do have one fitted as long as it is not used.

satinet

yes i guess it depends on the interpretation of "used to aid".  Just being in the model per se isn't using it as an aid. That being said personally I would not risk it at the WC or similar as you are potentially at the mercy of an FAI jury. Certain countries have a rep for putting in protests.  Small risk probably but depends on your view point. 

Redbird

That all makes sense, thank you. 

I'll have to use Bluetooth and earphone so no one can hear if I'm listening to the audio vario. Glad we can flick switches in flight! No, I wouldn't break the rules. Query a flier with earphone in though, even if he's in your team. 

Thanks again.